Hacking Gateway 3DS install - What am I doing wrong?

TimoVerbrugghe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
EDIT: sorry for the quite large photographs, can't seem to get them smaller at the moment...

Hi everyone,

In the last hours, I tried to get my newly received Gateway 3DS card working, but have encountered numerous issues...

My "setup"
1 x 3DS (EUR) running version 4.5.0-0E
1 x Gateway cards (blue & red), bought from power-up.nl, which is listed as an "official" supplier on the gateway 3DS website
2 x SD cards
2 x MicroSD cards
1 x DSTwo card

download

What I did/tried so far

I downloaded the Omega 2.2 software from the gateway 3DS website. I installed the files from the folder Blue card (R4i) onto both of the MicroSD cards, which were both formatted in fat32 by Panasonic's SD formatter and tried them both in the Blue Gateway Card.

I tried putting on the files through my microSD -> SD card adapter and also using an usb adapter.

The blue gateway card is recognized correctly by the 3DS:
download

But when I press A, this error occurs:
download

I get this error both when using the black and the red/grey micro sd card, both when installing the files through the SD adapter and the USB adapter

Then I formatted the black microSD to work with my DSTwo and run the gateway_installer.nds file that way, with succes:
download

download

Afterwards, I remove the DSTwo card from the 3DS, I installed the launcher.dat file on both of my SD cards (the blue Toshiba one that came with the 3DS and the Sandisk Ultra one which I bought myself after the first one didn't work).

I go to system settings -> other settings -> profile -> Nintendo DS profile and get this error when I tap it:
download

This happens both when holding the L button when I press "Nintendo DS profile" and when not holding the L button, on both SD cards.

Anybody who has seen this behavior? I'm really starting to get on my nerves after all these errors... Gateway was for 4.1-4.5 right? Or am I just really missing something completely obvious here?

TimoVerbrugghe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Allright, opened my DSTwo and went to the DS_Game rom menu (did NOT open gateway installer).
Pressed home button, went to system settings, and opened DS profile:

download

So as you can see, I get the normal DS profile menu (which is normal behaviour... right? since you need to redo the gateway installer each time you use a DS game).

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2nd pic has the miiverse item on the main menu.

Doesn't that indicate it's been updated but interrupted, so still shows 4.5. Miiverse icon shouldn't be there on a proper 4.1-4.5 system.

TimoVerbrugghe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Mmm... The 3DS has never been connected to the internet. Original version when I bought it was 3.2.0-0E. Then I updated it using a Luigi Mansion's 2 3DS game, which has a 4.5.0 version on the cartridge...

EDIT: I did buy it second-hand... god dangit..

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
At some point a update has been started and interrupted I.e. Console forced off by holding the power button, and it must of been fairly recent as it's partially updated to 7.x as it has the miiverse icon

TimoVerbrugghe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
K thanks for the explanation guys ;). Seems the hunt for a new 3DS can start over again...

(You got to be kidding me... That will be my 3rd 3DS then...)

BEEKAY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait am I screwed as well? My 3DS XL has the 4.4 firmware version and it has these Miiverse icons on the homescreen: MiiMaker and MiiPlaza.

Oh wait I don't have the Miiverse icon at the top.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TimoVerbrugghe now you know why that one was for sale. If it was advertised explicitly as 4.x (and so gateway compatible) I'd try to get my money back. The seller probably knew about this.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wait am I screwed as well? My 3DS XL has the 4.4 firmware version and it has these Miiverse icons on the homescreen: MiiMaker and MiiPlaza.

Oh wait I don't have the Miiverse icon at the top.
Those aren't miiverse icons, those are default apps. The only miiverse icon is the green one at the top right.

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
No need to look for a Miiverse logo, just look at the L+R camera part. At 4.x you can go to camera with either R or L alone not two together.

tairo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think i have a similar problem , purchased an used 3ds xl from ebay with some games ie mario kart 7 and nsmb 3d etc and they all work fine but i tried to put my copy of luigis mansion in to update to 4.5 but the cart is not seen/recognised but it works in a pals 3ds , also whenever i put the blue card in it sometimes shows but never works ,i get this error as well, can someone shed some light on this ? ps this is my one

1z3s578.jpg
121bb46.jpg

download

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think i have a similar problem , purchased an used 3ds xl from ebay with some games ie mario kart 7 and nsmb 3d etc and they all work fine but i tried to put my copy of luigis mansion in to update to 4.5 but the cart is not seen/recognised but it works in a pals 3ds , also whenever i put the blue card in it sometimes shows but never works ,i get this error as well, can someone shed some light on this ? ps this is my one

1z3s578.jpg
121bb46.jpg

download

There's a possibility that it could of been updated to 6.3, it could also possibly issues with the cart reader not reading the card properly, as partial updating would not stop it reading luigi's mansion.

Unfortunately a partial update to 5.x or 6.x would be pretty much impossible to see as there was no visual chanes between the FW's afaik

If you have access to a different NDS flashcard that works on 7.x you will be able to at least check if it will work with gateway by using that cart to set up the exploit

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Get your friend to take a photo of his system page. (I know his may be at 4.5 or beyond, but just do it ya ;D )

Also, do the trick I quoted below:

No need to look for a Miiverse logo, just look at the L+R camera part. At 4.x you can go to camera with either R or L alone not two together.

Anyway to be clear, is that error from trying to update?

tairo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried again with a different sd card and the blue card worked now but the problem is the red card is not seen at all nor is luigis mansion , here is a video ,ignore the jerkiness lol as its hard to do with one hand :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I tried again with a different sd card and the blue card worked now but the problem is the red card is not seen at all nor is luigis mansion , here is a video ,ignore the jerkiness lol as its hard to do with one hand :)

The red card doesn't "show" unless your in gateway mode, once in gateway mode press select to open the rom list menu

Run the gateway installer from the blue card and follow the gateway set up tutorials

Also could your luigi's mansion be from a different region?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1