Hacking Gateway 3ds error: Diagnostic is OK, but "There is nothing inserted into the Game Card slot"

Moshny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi guys. I've made all the necessarry steps, i. e.
1. Put launcher.dat from newest f/w version
2. Installed from blue card.
3. Lanched Gateway mode
4. Inserted red card with ROM written using Imager on MicroSD formatted using SD formatter. (All diagnostic tests are passed, even the one with testing rom) and I see "There is nothing inserted into the Game Card slot".
What can be the cause? Any ideas appreciated.

My 3ds F/W is 4.5.0-10U

Red cart crunches a little when Im inserting. It has badly applied sticker, here's link with image:
http://i.imgur.com/NpNUlPB.jpg (2.3 mb)
http://i.imgur.com/C98mHp5.jpg (2.3 mb)
and I thought maybe this is an issue? Can I remove stickers and will it help?

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I would suggest first try with a new SD card.

Edit: It seems that it is very important for the stickers to be in their place so I dont think you want to actually remove them.

Moshny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
As you can see on photos, stickers are applied badly and one of them began to peel itself off so to say...
I managed to launch one ROM by the miracle and then there is "There is nothing inserted into the Game Card slot" all the way again.

quantang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guy i need help cant get red gateway to show the rom. I want to diagnostics mode but every time i go to setting and hold L while pressing the nintendo ds mode it just say system now restart. I follow the step such as put my red gateway and and press L but only to be ask the same question. i put the GW_testrom.3ds in the red gateway. is there any solution to get rom to work or get diagnostics mode to show up?

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
I don't think the sticker matters whether the GW function or not. For some reason i have mine removed at both side and is still working well. Currently, it only have one side of the sticker. If it concerns you that much then just rip it and reapply. Rip from the bottom right corner where the sticker is already crumbled. However, if you have the intention to send in for exchange then don't do it.

Maybe a bad contact? Why not try cleaning the contacts with alcohol and then insert & eject the card a few times...
How about faulty SD card slot? Someone mentioned that he have the problem.

Moshny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Console... lets say its almost brand new so I doubt that there is a problem with SD card slot. Especially that I had one original cartridge beaten on it without issues (and as I mentioned earlier, I managed to launch ROM in Gateway mode, albeit just one time).
I will try to clean contacts and other few tricks and hopefully will be lucky... :unsure: :(
(any ideas how to clean them optimally? cotton swabs will do I guess?)

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I know that there is a thread about the Gateway 3ds reliability but i fear that my message might get lost in it. I decided to write this new thread in the hopes that my 4 days of non stop testing will help someone in a similar situation.

To make a long story short, I receive my Gateway back on Sunday when the firmware for the Gateway was still on 1.1. As such there were no diagnostic tools available for me to find out what was causing my card to always give me the "game card was removed" message. After hours of searching online I figured that my card was defective but I still wanted to find out what exactly was defective about it. As such, i began to investigate closely the contact areas of the Gateway (the contacts that connect to my 3ds and the contacts that connect the micro sd card to the gateway). While I found that the contacts on the gateway card were fine, it was the micro sd card that turned out problematic. I thus began to fiddle with the way the micros sd card fit into my gateway card. I found that if I pushed my micro sd card outward, it forced the connectors to move inward. I also found out that for the first time, my roms started to load without a hitch. However, as you can imagine this was not an exact science. It required that I keep trying until the rom loaded which was only maybe 1 out of every 5 tries. I had to constantly repeat the nintendo ds profile exploit each and everytime!

Once the diagnostic tools were released with firmware 1.2 I found out that the problem was indeed the connectors. If I entered the micro sd card without much care the light always remained stuck on yellow. However, if I fiddled around with it the test went through sucessfully. Sure enough, everytime I now want to load a game I always use the diagnostic tool first and make sure that I got it just right. I discovered that you could actually repeat the diagnostic test without actually exiting the tool itself. You simply need to press the L button again. As such, if I failed the diagnostic tool I took out my gateway fromt he slot played around with the micro sd card and put it back in. I then pressed L again. Once successfully completed I pressed R and that exited out of the diagnostic tool. I then could load my rom immediately. Everything worked!!!

The downside to this is that if you play your game and the micro sd card somehow gets out of place, your saves will likely be corrupted. This is true even after you press menu and x. I found this out through extensive testing. For instance I lost 4 hours of play on Castlevania, 2 hours of play on Mario Kart and 2 hours of play on nsmb2! This is a huge negative since you may lose hours of gameplay. it's a shoot in the dark really.

In short, for those of you having a "game card is removed" issue, it likely is the contact from your micro sd. It likely stems of a physical manufacturing defect. I will be sending my gateway back to the retailer since I still think that this kind of problem is unacceptable especially after paying around a $100 for it.

I hope this helps narrow down your problems.

Reactions: DigitalDeviant

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
Console... lets say its almost brand new so I doubt that there is a problem with SD card slot. Especially that I had one original cartridge beaten on it without issues (and as I mentioned earlier, I managed to launch ROM in Gateway mode, albeit just one time).
I will try to clean contacts and other few tricks and hopefully will be lucky... :unsure: :(
(any ideas how to clean them optimally? cotton swabs will do I guess?)

My bad, should say microSD card of your gateway 3DS. Read the above post (that is the one that i was mentioning). Yeah, cotton swabs will do :>

Moshny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi all. It seems something went amiss during my initial setup.
To provide some info to anyone interested, I can confirm that I got my red card working (even with somewhat misplaced stickers), and for it to work here's I've done:

1. Formatted all sd cards involved, namely SD card, one 8GB microSD class 6 transcend, another 8GB class 10 Transcend.
2. Completed setup in this order: inserted SD in 3ds, turned it off, placed launcher.dat into SD, inserted it back, installed blue content, then made testing with class 10 card, it all works well right now.

Final Thoughts: It seems that most probaby the thing was in my microSD (class 6 one, the one I used initially), although I need to stress out that all tests were passed on my "faulty" micro, including the one which involves downloading 1gig testing ROM Gateway provides. As if something from beyond the grasp of all the test is either amiss or wrong in one of my micro's.

Moral of the story: Even with all the tests passed, there still may be some incompatibilities with your micro's.

Thanks to all contributors of the topic. :wink:

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I know that there is a thread about the Gateway 3ds reliability but i fear that my message might get lost in it. I decided to write this new thread in the hopes that my 4 days of non stop testing will help someone in a similar situation.

To make a long story short, I receive my Gateway back on Sunday when the firmware for the Gateway was still on 1.1. As such there were no diagnostic tools available for me to find out what was causing my card to always give me the "game card was removed" message. After hours of searching online I figured that my card was defective but I still wanted to find out what exactly was defective about it. As such, i began to investigate closely the contact areas of the Gateway (the contacts that connect to my 3ds and the contacts that connect the micro sd card to the gateway). While I found that the contacts on the gateway card were fine, it was the micro sd card that turned out problematic. I thus began to fiddle with the way the micros sd card fit into my gateway card. I found that if I pushed my micro sd card outward, it forced the connectors to move inward. I also found out that for the first time, my roms started to load without a hitch. However, as you can imagine this was not an exact science. It required that I keep trying until the rom loaded which was only maybe 1 out of every 5 tries. I had to constantly repeat the nintendo ds profile exploit each and everytime!

Once the diagnostic tools were released with firmware 1.2 I found out that the problem was indeed the connectors. If I entered the micro sd card without much care the light always remained stuck on yellow. However, if I fiddled around with it the test went through sucessfully. Sure enough, everytime I now want to load a game I always use the diagnostic tool first and make sure that I got it just right. I discovered that you could actually repeat the diagnostic test without actually exiting the tool itself. You simply need to press the L button again. As such, if I failed the diagnostic tool I took out my gateway fromt he slot played around with the micro sd card and put it back in. I then pressed L again. Once successfully completed I pressed R and that exited out of the diagnostic tool. I then could load my rom immediately. Everything worked!!!

The downside to this is that if you play your game and the micro sd card somehow gets out of place, your saves will likely be corrupted. This is true even after you press menu and x. I found this out through extensive testing. For instance I lost 4 hours of play on Castlevania, 2 hours of play on Mario Kart and 2 hours of play on nsmb2! This is a huge negative since you may lose hours of gameplay. it's a shoot in the dark really.

In short, for those of you having a "game card is removed" issue, it likely is the contact from your micro sd. It likely stems of a physical manufacturing defect. I will be sending my gateway back to the retailer since I still think that this kind of problem is unacceptable especially after paying around a $100 for it.

I hope this helps narrow down your problems.

Thanks for taking the time to do these tests udo4ever. Unfortunately I had a similar thing happen to my castlevania game and I fear it will happen again with another game. If it happens again I'll also have to get a replacement. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Psi has been banned in the state of California.