Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The date/time of the save files are not updated when overwritten. they always keep the creation date/time.

If the game crash, it's not a save problem, but more a game problem. When playing, the savegame "file" is not accessed at all. It's backed up to SD only when exiting. And if the file is corrupted, it wouldn't work on the flashcart at all when restored to the flashcart, as it's encrypted/signed, and a modification would prevent the file to be decrypted, so your save file is correct. So if it's really corrupted, it's inside the save data itself, not the file, and restoring the file will restore corrupted data.

In my opinion, it's more a problem with the SD card containing the ROM.
Try to rewrite the ROM to your MicroSD Card, or use a different MicroSD card.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The date/time of the save files are not updated when overwritten. they always keep the creation date/time.

If the game crash, it's not a save problem, but more a game problem. When playing, the savegame "file" is not accessed at all. It's backed up to SD only when exiting. And if the file is corrupted, it wouldn't work on the flashcart at all when restored to the flashcart, as it's encrypted/signed, and a modification would prevent the file to be decrypted, so your save file is correct. So if it's really corrupted, it's inside the save data itself, not the file, and restoring the file will restore corrupted data.

In my opinion, it's more a problem with the SD card containing the ROM.
Try to rewrite the ROM to your MicroSD Card, or use a different MicroSD card.

you know what? this is just ridiculous...
I tried formating and rewriting the roms several times, didnt work, now I switched the micro sd cards and it works...
Im gonna clarify that a little bit
It all sarted with bravely default crashing when entering a certain story related town, making it completely unplayable from that point, which was no big deal for me anyway, since I was gonna buy the game after testing it and right now Im already playing on the retail cartridge, but on the very same day, also my pokemon mystery dungeon rom started crashing when entering dungeons, but I had already been using that micro sd card with that rom on it for months, thats why I was worried, that my gateway was failing... 2 micro sd cards that start failing on the same day... crazy coincidence, hh?
well, now I wrote the mystery dungeon rom to the micro sd card that contained bravely default and after seeing it work, out of curiosity wrote the bravely default rom to the other micro sd card and it worked, too... ... ... rewriting the rom to the same card wasnt fixing the crashes, but writing them to another card did, that just makes no sense at all, since both cards are 8gb cards from the very same brand and both are class 6 cards, they are both the same freakin cards X.x ... well, whatever, mystery dungeon is working again, so Im a happy panda bear now

(fyi, I own a retail catridge of mystery dungeon, too. I merely refuse to buy 2 copies of a game, just because the developers decided to let us only create 1 save slot and I dont want to share my save with my sis, thats why we got 2 3ds systems, 1 always on current firmware for retail cardridges and 1 on 4.5 for gateway to test games and to play games with only 1 save slot :-) )

bengalvfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q: Actually, I haven't baught a Nintendo 3DS yet. Where do I get a 3DS with firmware 4.1 - 4.5?
A: Those Nintendo 3DSs with copyright 2012 have firmware 4.5 and below. There is a thread about this here and here is a picture of the copyright sign on the package.

I just wanted to mention this is not true. I bought I copyright 2012 that came with 6.xx firmware. Come to find out (mentioned in the thread you point to) that the serial number has to 12xx or less.

Reactions: cearp

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just wanted to mention this is not true. I bought I copyright 2012 that came with 6.xx firmware. Come to find out (mentioned in the thread you point to) that the serial number has to 12xx or less.

stores repackage new 3ds systems in old boxes.... this has been mentioned somewhere around here, before
it makes searching an old firmware 3ds harder, but its still better to look for 2012boxes, as 2013 boxes usually contain 3ds systems with firmwares higher than 4.5

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, now I wrote the mystery dungeon rom to the micro sd card that contained bravely default and after seeing it work, out of curiosity wrote the bravely default rom to the other micro sd card and it worked, too... ... ... rewriting the rom to the same card wasnt fixing the crashes, but writing them to another card did, that just makes no sense at all, since both cards are 8gb cards from the very same brand and both are class 6 cards, they are both the same freakin cards X.x ... well, whatever, mystery dungeon is working again, so Im a happy panda bear now

Wackiness. I am glad you are up and running again.

derrace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hey all,

I can't seem to go into Gateway mode (via ds profile) all the time. Sometimes the logo shows up, and both screens get those scanlines and stay that way.
Also there are times where I tried saving (closing software) and it gets stuck, making me lose my progress. I am on 4.4E and have tested it with the new Zelda.

Are they known issues, because it's 2.0b1?

I haven't mucked around with the emuNand thingy, but in the first page, there's no mention on how to dump your nand (do I need to if I am not using eshop or playing any real cart that doesn't require an update?)

Lastly, is there anyway to extra the saves from real carts and dump them as .sav so I can use them with my gateway?

Thanks in advance.

d

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Some Q and A responses (the important ones) direct from the Gateway Team 18/12

Q: Is there a specific reason for saves hanging, or is it random??
A: We are having difficulty reproducing the save issues, we need to know more about users FW ver, EmuNAND or not, SD card size etc.

Q: Will it be possible for 6.x games to use new KeyY Method
A: Yes, its being worked on

Q: Will dropping out of EmuNAND System Settings always take you back to SystemNAND
A: For now yes, however we are looking into keeping EmuNAND active

Q: Why is EmuNAND 7.0 broken ?
A: We are working on 7.0 Support, EmuNAND 6.3 is missing some system services to support 7.0

Q: Will NAND Based save games still work the same way save wise. Home/Close ??
A: NAND Based Saves will be saved real-time to rom

Q: I read that we will need to update the Red Card at some point soon, is it true that the "clones" aren't updateable ??
A: The clones are not updateable and multirom/NAND saving will show this

That is All :) Now stop spamming them lol
The Hopefully Before Xmas still stands AFAIK, they just want to make sure all is done and working well..

Reactions: Mr_Pichu and tyons

Skyrider

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey all,

I can't seem to go into Gateway mode (via ds profile) all the time. Sometimes the logo shows up, and both screens get those scanlines and stay that way.
Also there are times where I tried saving (closing software) and it gets stuck, making me lose my progress. I am on 4.4E and have tested it with the new Zelda.

Are they known issues, because it's 2.0b1?

I haven't mucked around with the emuNand thingy, but in the first page, there's no mention on how to dump your nand (do I need to if I am not using eshop or playing any real cart that doesn't require an update?)

Lastly, is there anyway to extra the saves from real carts and dump them as .sav so I can use them with my gateway?

Thanks in advance.

d

I'm getting random freezes as well when entering gateway mode. I have to shutdown the DS and restart it until I get in gateway mode. As for your zelda saving issue, searching for the issue gave me this result:

Booting into GW-Mode without entering GW-Menu (where you can backup NAND, etc.) first, is giving me the most problems with saving in Zelda.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/save-problem-with-gateway-2-0b1.358529/

Be sure when you are going to the nintendo profile to hold the L button to go in to the Gateway GUI menu. From there, you can back-up your NAND. Once you've backed it up, make sure it's on the SD card (large card at the side of the DS) and make a backup of it on your system. Then, format the card through the Gateway GUI . Once that is done, you should see a different type of version when being in gateway mode and going to the system settings.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It happens to people with and without EmuNAND, so its not that, some of the time it can be the microsd holding the rom or the sd card holding the saves, When i first played i got it hanging on saving, now havent for over a week, some people say give it time, never exit straight after saving ingame, give it 10 seconds or so, and not to home close fast, wait a few seconds there aswell, this has helped some people, but others still seem to get it consistantly, people that have saves hanging, need to post some stats so we can look for similarities, 3DS FW VER, EmuNAND or Not, SD cardinfo, game name.

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saving to rom... would be useless for most users (without an "easy" way to backup only the rom/savegame) without multirom support.
So I hope they really add multirom support in the final version :)

I can't understand why they want to release a new beta version and thus give the other clone team(s) a better version. Well... it's better for the users :)

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
QUICK UPDATE ON BETA FIRMWARE

17/12/2013
Firstly a warm thank you for all the feedback and suggestions regarding our recent public release of GW 2.0b1.
GW 2.0b2 is a few days away from release and will be mainly emunand support for 7.0 and bug fixes together with an additional feature that will hopefully put an end to any accidental updates of consoles.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

does this have to do with save games on actual carts getting deleted/corrupted between firmware being fixed?

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
does this have to do with save games on actual carts getting deleted/corrupted between firmware being fixed?
Yes, but it's not that easy. I don't think they can fix this soon.
For me, it's almost on the same level as 5.X + compatability...

unpaiktable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a compatibility list for the GW Blue Card? I tried loading up some NDS games with it but most of them resulted in white screens.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the Q/A.

This one will probably mess your current saves if there's no option to use old/new keyY.

That's what I thought, and makes sense. Directly reading/writing into the MicroSD card after the game's data region, like retail games.

I suppose direct save access is only for CARD2?
The other games will still need the Home>X to backup save to the SD.

scootr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
any updates is good in my eyes be it a beta or final, I'm sure they release the beta as it is clear someone leaking them to the R4i so why not just release to public when beta in r4i hands already

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: