Gateway 3DS and later game releases?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Thirty3Three, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'd just wanted to ask this to those who know a bit more about this stuff.

Well, let's say a game such as Smash Brothers: 3DS requires you to update to a later update (Let's call it, 7.X).

We know that Gateway only supports 4.5 at the moment, but how is this going to work? Do you think, since we have the kernel access, we'll be able to find a way to play the later games (which require a higher firmware), on 4.5/Gateway?

I'm just a tad cautious of spending about spending eighty dollars on this nice piece of tech, which would only allow me to play early games, released prior to the beginning of this year.

So do you think there will be a way to play later games on GateWay?
    Thanks!!

2. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    No one can tell at this point, and all released/dumped games work to this point. Not just the beginning of this year.

3. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States

Oh! Well I appreciate the reply! I've heard games with 5.x are already shipping out. I'm wondering how this will go down. I guess, deep-down, I'm just trying to find a way to make my purchase of this cart seem more appropriate.

It has kernel access, so I'm sure they'll find away around the forced firmware issue(s). Thanks again for the reply!

4. Thorhian

Thorhian My CPU's prefer Water

May 23, 2012
    United States
    Shazezar
    If a game doesn't require specific features in a new update, couldn't someone use rom_tools and remove the update, or am I totally missing something?

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Some basic text info about the required update is listed, but it turns out that's not what the 3DS uses. It uses data in the main encrypted part, which we can't touch (it's encrypted, and even if we forced a change that'd invalidate the sigs).

6. Thorhian

Thorhian My CPU's prefer Water

May 23, 2012
    United States
    Shazezar
    Okay, so encryptions are still in our way.

7. tHciNc

tHciNc Total Random

Jan 14, 2006
    New Zealand
    Are games shipping with 5.X yet ?? I know Animal Crossing Bundle 3DS XL comes with 5.XX preloaded but even the newest roms including animal crossing, myst etc still 4.5, So you are pretty much guaranteed that all 273 roms out so far will work, I download pretty much all the euro releases as they come (Especially handy being on a CONTRAST HQ) minus the severe shovelware, and got 95 games to date, which should be around the same for US releases too, so basically 100 games for $80 isnt bad :)

[​IMG]

8. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    I'm hoping they'll do something about future games. I don't want to drop 80 dollars for games I've already played.

EDIT:

Just asked the same question, (Sent to their email).

They gave me a pretty idiotic reply:

"Obviously, we will only know once they come."

That's nice.

9. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    Believe it or not, there still exist those whom crack video games. Such people are not dead and there are always new crackers in the wake. Back in the day (and most likely still true today), crackers are working on things but behind the scenes so they aren't very well known but they do exist. It all depends on how interested in the project they are the time frame depends on how difficult the software is to crack.

Nintendo is not going to take very long to require updates to the console to play forthcoming games and possibly a few titles will get updated as well. These are tactics seen in the past by Nintendo but at least this time around they are far ahead in the game.

10. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    Number: XXX
    Name: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Game ID : CTR-AYMP
    Region : EUR
    Firmware: 5.1.0

11. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    This game isn't out yet, is it? It'd be great to give a try.

12. Pong20302000

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    gateway doesnt make your console region free

but its Frimware 5.1.0 which was what i was showing

13. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Rom dump's out for that already? Mind posting the scene name? (Don't see it on your site either.)

14. Pong20302000

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    no scene dump available of that one

15. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    If 3DS carts come with firmware updates and checks, its not outside the realm of possibility that dumped carts could be hacked into having their firmware removed as well as the firmware checks, or maybe install a hacked version of firmware that would allow installing older versions of firmware.

I think I recall reading something about the 3DS not having any protection against forced downgrades.

16. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

Can I get a source? Only thing I could find was that GameFaqs posted the game ID. :lol:

17. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Yes they can take out the update partition, but eventually some games will need files from the update (like ios on the wii).

18. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The problem is if you modify the ROM, the 3DS won't run it.

This is quite unlike the PC situation where there's no enforced signature/validation checks before running, and it's only recently that consoles started doing it (PS3/360), but once a device is hacked you can disable the checks.

But that hasn't been done for the 3DS yet.

The update info that's used by the 3DS is in the encrypted/signed portion, so until the 3DS is hacked to have the sig checks removed (a proper softmod)...

As long as you're doing a downgrade to a firmware that was dumped on that exact specific 3DS earlier. So if you get a 3DS that came with 5.x, you can't do anything.

19. Roman.Sol

Roman.Sol Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2013
    United States
    No Pokemon for Gateway buyers...

Either buy another 3DS or either make the Gateway completely useless. I will watch and enjoy to see the hard choices.

EvilMakiPR likes this.
  20. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Or, or. The chance the GW3DS team updates it to work with the latest firmware. :O

WhiteMaze and Thirty3Three like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.