Hacking GATEWAY 3.2.1 ULTRA PUBLIC BETA and FW 9.7.0?

KaKistoZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't see a thread covering this topic directly, but April 30th; Gateway released 3.2.1 Ultra Public Beta.

Not knowing any better, I updated my 3DS XL FW-version to 9.7.0 (or 9.7.0-25E to be specific), prior to buying the Gateway 3DS flashcart, only discovering afterwards that apparantly there isn't any method yet to downgrade from ANY version above 9.2.

So being a newbeginner at this stuff, reading all about downgrading and restoring from an earlier system-NAND backup (that I obviously don't have), and discovering that Gateway presented their newest version only recently; I wonder:
  1. Is it now possible for me to downgrade with the Gateway-cartridge?
  2. If not: is there another method for me to downgrade?
  3. Or; is it possible to restore from a system NAND-backup from another, identical system, if such were to be found available for download from internet?
  4. Or even better: is there a workaround to make Gateway work with my current version?
  5. If none of the above: is there a solution currently being worked on for us poor souls that updated higher than version 9.2, and if so; how long till it's estimated release?
Really hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I'm beyond desperate...

SuongTu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
let me fill in the blanks
1. No
2. there is currently no other method
3. no it would be hard mod as other threads stated
4. there is currently no work around
5. no, your only solution is Sky3DS

Reactions: thaikhoa

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1-2-3. Your 3DS's sysnand is 9.7 so there's only a way to downgrade is HARD-MOD if you have a backup of exploitable firmware of YOUR 3DS.
4. We clearly don't/won't know what's the next stuff GW is working for.
5. You can buy a copy of Cubic Ninja and enjoy regionFour if you'd like to play other region games. OR sell your GW flashcart and replace with Sky3DS.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Is it now possible for me to downgrade with the Gateway-cartridge? No.
  2. If not: is there another method for me to downgrade? No.
  3. Or; is it possible to restore from a system NAND-backup from another, identical system, if such were to be found available for download from internet? No.
  4. Or even better: is there a workaround to make Gateway work with my current version? No.
  5. If none of the above: is there a solution currently being worked on for us poor souls that updated higher than version 9.2, and if so; how long till it's estimated release? Other than buying a Sky3DS, no.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I didn't see a thread covering this topic directly, but April 30th; Gateway released 3.2.1 Ultra Public Beta.

Not knowing any better, I updated my 3DS XL FW-version to 9.7.0 (or 9.7.0-25E to be specific), prior to buying the Gateway 3DS flashcart, only discovering afterwards that apparantly there isn't any method yet to downgrade from ANY version above 9.2.

So being a newbeginner at this stuff, reading all about downgrading and restoring from an earlier system-NAND backup (that I obviously don't have), and discovering that Gateway presented their newest version only recently; I wonder:
  3. Or; is it possible to restore from a system NAND-backup from another, identical system, if such were to be found available for download from internet?
  4. Or even better: is there a workaround to make Gateway work with my current version?
  5. If none of the above: is there a solution currently being worked on for us poor souls that updated higher than version 9.2, and if so; how long till it's estimated release?
Really hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I'm beyond desperate...
1 - No, that would require new kernel exploits that weren't found or publicly available.
2 - No, same as 1.
3 - Not yet, no ETA for this kind of hack (and AFAIK, only the PSP let you recreate the installation of it's firmware, no other console have this kind of hack)
4 - No, same as 1.
5 - No public information about this AFAIK.

If you really want to play your warez, you have to get a Sky3DS but you won't be able to run 3DS Ware, homebrews (maybe something if smea launch a new ninjhax and you run a Cubic Ninja ROM) or hacked ROMs. And unless I'm wrong, on 9.7 you can't do region free with only the sky 3ds.

:ph34r:
[EDIT] Boy, I'm very slow.

KaKistoZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow... I'm truly fascinated by how negative the replies are. This can't possibly be the end of Gateway? If Sky3DS can do it, then surely Gateway can figure out a new exploit similar to the ones used by Sky3DS? I deliberately went with Gateway because I got the impression that it was definitely the better flashcart among it's rivals, and that Sky3DS was soon to die out...? Confused... Just spent alot of money on a product that apparently seems useless... :(

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... I'm truly fascinated by how negative the replies are. This can't possibly be the end of Gateway? If Sky3DS can do it, then surely Gateway can figure out a new exploit similar to the ones used by Sky3DS? I deliberately went with Gateway because I got the impression that it was definitely the better flashcart among it's rivals, and that Sky3DS was soon to die out...? Confused... Just spent alot of money on a product that apparently seems useless... :(

Sky3DS acts as a clone of a cartridge. The way the gateway was designed, I don't think it can be used in the same manner. Until if/when another exploit comes along, the best you can hope for is 9.7 emunand, while running a lower sysnand firmware (at least for the time being - this could change today, tomorrow, next month, next year, or never).

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While these have already been answered, I thought I might try to give a bit more information.

The system NAND is encrypted for each specific console. It is impossible to create a NAND that will work on your system without having access to Nintendo's private keys. If you have a backup from your specific console, that can be written to the internal memory, but that's it.

Unfortunately, there has not been found an exploit that's useable past 9.2 that allows Gateway to run. Sky3DS works differently, by copying a retail card as completely as possible. Gateway hooks into the system, patching the firmware, disabling signature checks, and allowing commands and data to be sent to and received from the Gateway card, which is why it has more requirements. While I'm sure the Gateway team (and plenty of others) are looking for new exploits, it can't be predicted when or if one will be found. Until something is found, there isn't really any news/progress to report, and once one is found, it'll be released pretty much the moment it's ready. I wouldn't say it's "the end of Gateway" by any means, there was a long delay before anything above 4.5 was exploitable.

Many of the replies are "negative" mostly because they're short. These are similar questions asked many times, so it's natural to want to not say the same thing over and over again. Especially asking about the release of a new exploit, since there is no information, and there cannot be an estimated release timeframe by its very nature. I'm not sure why you purchased a Gateway if you were already on an unsupported System Version, and did not ask these questions before buying, but what's done is done.

For the time being, your best bet is the Sky3DS, or the purchase of a different system on a lower System Version. If you know someone who is looking to buy one and doesn't care about using a Gateway, you could arrange a swap with them, most likely. I believe all new consoles at this time are still coming at or below 9.2 (though I could be mistaken). You might also be able to sell your Gateway, if all else fails. Those are the options that come to my mind, but you will know your situation better than I can. I hope you have better luck in the future.

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You bought a GW and didn't bother reading about it first? Dear Lord. FW support is the very first thing to get informed about when one wants to pirate or hack a console.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to know how gateways downgrade works...i dont think that uses system specific keys. makes me think it can be flashed via hardware somehow.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to know how gateways downgrade works...i dont think that uses system specific keys. makes me think it can be flashed via hardware somehow.
I'm a bit curious about that myself. My guess is that it's essentially a collection of CIAs, installed the same way a normal system update would be, so it would require the system to be running properly in order to be able to install. In that case, it wouldn't be useful in generating a flashable NAND for a bricked system, since the system wouldn't be running in order to properly encrypt the new files.

Ritchie555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Too late for this console, but there is ONLY ONE circumstance you'd ever update sysnand. And that's if an exploit was found in a FW higher than yours. e.g. My original 3DS was on FW 2 and exploit was in FW 4.1 I bought the game with 4.1 firmware update on it.

Otherwise, by default: NEVER EVER EVER Update your sysnand.

Ever.

There's always a chance a new game (or old one) may have an undiscovered exploit though. They may even screw up FW10. You never know in this business.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap.