Gary Bowser has been sentenced to 3+ years in prison

k0Bb6AesS5-Jr1Q66F8-wd0iGuiT1aRvMpT0Msokn_o.jpg

After being indicted in 2020, Gary Bowser's trial is finally over, and he has been sentenced to 3+ years in prison. Bowser was facing eleven felony charges as the public face of Team Xexuter, estimated by the U.S. government to have cost the videogame industry between $65 million and $150 million by facilitating piracy. Bowser pled guilty to charges of trafficking in circumvention devices and conspiracy to circumvent technological measures in November, agreeing to pay $4.5 million in fines, but was also ordered to pay another $10 million to Nintendo in a civil case.

"This is not a victimless crime. The leaders of this multimillion-dollar scheme are responsible for diverting money from creative professionals who have worked hard to provide unique products and experiences,” said Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Robert Hammer. Another Special Agent in Charge, Donald M. Voiret, is quoted saying "he also wasted the efforts of legitimate companies as they attempted to build protections for their products.”

Last week, the prosecution announced they were seeking a five-year sentence, while the defense only wanted nineteen months. Bowser has been detained since October 2020 as he was not able to secure pretrial release, so, assuming he serves his full 3+ year sentence, he will have actually been detained for closer to four and a half years.

:arrow: Source

germandroide

Trophies
XP
Country
Palau
Peopple who doesn´t buy oficial stuff is not a real target for the oficial platforms.
Original platforms are targetting to peopple with as much of money as is able to use original copies.

The peopple who consumes not originals or modded contents are out of the targeted market, Microsoft is in the right way with its Xbox live beta cloud gaming. That is fine to every one. 9€/month and play if you have time to the full original and legal game catalog.

Team executer had to work with Nintendo, to cover original and black marked peopple targets

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People may not like it, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
3 years isn't that long and it is good for a precedent to be set.

If you willingly commit a crime, you should be ready to embrace the consequences.
Doesn't matter if it doesn't physically hurt someone.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Gary should change his name if he wants to get into the hacking game when he's released from prison. Something like Waluigi or Wario.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
When will they understand that pirating doesn't cost anything.
Pirated games are games we would not buy anyways, so pirated or not, you won't get money for it anyways.

Do a good game and we will sure buy it.

Simple as that.
Both PSP and DS were screwed up heavily by rampant piracy during their heyday, so I wouldn't say it's as harmless for the publishers as some may want to make it sound like - if anything, the draconian anti-piracy measures we see on consoles and handhelds now were a direct response to that mess.

Besides, "do a good game and we will sure buy it" is a very optimistic outlook to put it lightly, and there's a lot of people who simply get very good at finding excuses to not buy stuff regardless of the games' actual quality. I mean, we already see the market of small indie games being ruined by players who abuse the hell out of Steam's 2-hour refund policy, basically yoinking money back from devs hands; yet somehow we're supposed to believe that most players will be conscientious enough to bring cash later if they liked what they stole.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: Skelletonike

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's illegal and a crime as per copyright goes, but jail time? I feel bad for him.

Putting him in the same space as rapists, killers, pedos... That's probably gonna fuck him up.

He'll be in federal prison, two entirely different systems. He'll be doing the same time Martha Stewart did.

This sucks, I'd like to see them prove that he has cost the industry even $20 million.

He's been around for ages, technically once a system is hacked it can play the entire library that you would typically have to buy to even play... it adds up quickly.

My personal thoughts on the situation, good, I never liked the guy and always thought he was a plague to every scene he put his paws in.

Lather

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Once again exposed the arrogance of Nintendo and the problem of US law serving capital.
I'm not defending Gary Bowser, he should be punished.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You're right, those poor corporations have had it so bad for years. How dare people show sympathy for a single human being when share holders stand to lose imaginary money.
Doesn't matter, a crime is a crime.

The only crimes that are pardonable, are those made out of necessity such as stealing food or other stuff for survival.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to start pirating more just for the heck of it I'm going to start giving out flash drives at school with pirates stuff it's so so stupid he got 3 years for this Ive been in institution before for mental health reasons for only 1 week and I hated it it was easily the worst week of my life it's disgusting that this man is getting 3years of his life taken away from him he doesn't belong in prison he should have done a couple hours of community service and that's it. #freebowsertillithurts

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang. The precedent has been set. Don't mess with Nintendo.
On the other hand, open up the mod as a thing that can be purely open sourced and can be made/manufactured by anyone. When all the hands are in the pie at once, you cannot cuff all those wrists. Nintendo, hell no one has that kind of power.

The best way to always defeat this kind of thing is to not make yourself the sole target, but to bring chaos from multiple directions. You can't stomp all of them out, and doing so is a fruitless endeavor, if anything it will just bring rise to a larger counter movement in its place. Sort of reminds me of the PS3 days with Sony again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk