Gary Bowser has been sentenced to 3+ years in prison

k0Bb6AesS5-Jr1Q66F8-wd0iGuiT1aRvMpT0Msokn_o.jpg

After being indicted in 2020, Gary Bowser's trial is finally over, and he has been sentenced to 3+ years in prison. Bowser was facing eleven felony charges as the public face of Team Xexuter, estimated by the U.S. government to have cost the videogame industry between $65 million and $150 million by facilitating piracy. Bowser pled guilty to charges of trafficking in circumvention devices and conspiracy to circumvent technological measures in November, agreeing to pay $4.5 million in fines, but was also ordered to pay another $10 million to Nintendo in a civil case.

"This is not a victimless crime. The leaders of this multimillion-dollar scheme are responsible for diverting money from creative professionals who have worked hard to provide unique products and experiences,” said Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Robert Hammer. Another Special Agent in Charge, Donald M. Voiret, is quoted saying "he also wasted the efforts of legitimate companies as they attempted to build protections for their products.”

Last week, the prosecution announced they were seeking a five-year sentence, while the defense only wanted nineteen months. Bowser has been detained since October 2020 as he was not able to secure pretrial release, so, assuming he serves his full 3+ year sentence, he will have actually been detained for closer to four and a half years.

:arrow: Source

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i doubt they could pull that off without raising hell with activist and human rights groups to put it in perspective it would be like issuing a death sentence for shoplifters or "the five finger discount" maybe is countries like the UAE, iraq etc but not here
taking my comment seriously means i am now lobbying for your death sentence

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
in 3+ years. Whos down to smuggle a switch in for for good ol Gary?
Better idea: petition Nintendo to have Doug Bowser personally deliver a Switch to him and to kick Gary in the nuts while he's there.
i doubt they could pull that off without raising hell with activist and human rights groups to put it in perspective it would be like issuing a death sentence for shoplifters or "the five finger discount" maybe is countries like the UAE, iraq etc but not here
Eh, give it a few years. Next generation maybe.
Yeah fines and jail / prison time go hand in hand in US. Iv'e known people who have done worse and got house arrest.
Prison sure pays well in the US of A.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo making more money from courts and they still cant be arsed to put some money down and make something new.

Problem is, they claim Gary caused millions in damages to hard working folks making games, but will any of this money go to them?

That there is probably robbery, who the fuck pockets the money.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If what I have been told about US penal system is true, he will be forced to work for free or almost free during this time, and all for doing something that in the end was no harm to anyone.

I don't agree with this sentence. I agree with the fine, but jail time? Makes no sense.
I agree. I don't really believe in piracy, but I think the prison time is overkill.

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what a joke the legal system is, catered towards corporations with billions of dollars over the individual

every time this shit happens, whether it be Nintendo issuing a C&D for a rom hack (or something trivial) or them suing someone you should always remember, Nintendo is not your friend and their family friendly demeanor is simply a way for them to get more money

remember this the next time you see some idiot trying to act all 'holier-than-thou' over you pirating a Nintendo game, remember this when you see your favorite Nintendo franchise get a new game and you think you might want to support them/the franchise

pirate everything they touch, fuck 'em

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Team Xexuter, estimated by the U.S. government to have cost the videogame industry between $65 million and $150 million by facilitating piracy.​
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Most people who pirate do it because they can't afford to pay the cost. People actually tend to buy the games when they start to be able to afford them. So I highly doubt these value. Firstly because I don't see how they'd estimate how many people pirated how many games. And then because most of those people wouldn't have actually bought the game even if they couldn't pirate it.

These values are currently tamer than they used to be but they are likey still completly taken out of someone's @$$.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah..Greedy perhaps ? :creep:

remember this the next time you see some idiot trying to act all 'holier-than-thou' over you pirating a Nintendo game, remember this when you see your favorite Nintendo franchise get a new game and you think you might want to support them/the franchise

pirate everything they touch, fuck 'em
funny thing is: remember back in day, when we did just that: buyed a Wii, modded (first with chips, then came software jail break etc) and played games for free? but they (big N) gained at least the money of the wii punchase... but now, we have switch (console of the generation, by Nintendo standards) and some games run better ON EMULATORS than the original Hardware... so now, we don't even need the hardware (no, really, switch emulators run well even on potatoes) XD

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
surprised nintendo didn't lobby for a death sentence
Honestly, same. Guess throwing him in jail is the closest they could get to the public execution that they would have wanted

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free