Gary Bowser from Team Xecuter pleads guilty to charges, agrees to pay Nintendo $4.5 million

50HCuI7t_400x400.jpg

Last year saw the arrest of two members of Team Xecuter, the hacking group behind the infamous SX OS. MaxConsole administrator and GBAtemp user GaryOPA was a part of that, and was extradited from Canada to the United States, where he would face charges. While he initially claimed he was innocent, the opposing prosecution did not accept the defense of SX OS merely allowing Nintendo Switch users to play homebrew software, and asserted that the main goal of Team Xecuter's exploit was to play pirated copies of games.

Faced with 11 felony counts, Bowser has just pleaded guilty to two of them: trafficking in circumvention devices and conspiracy to circumvent technological measures. According to the court, Team Xecuter has caused an estimated number between $65 million to $150 million in losses to video game companies.

This means that Bowser will not have to go to trial, with the plea deal also waiving the other 9 criminal charges. Despite that, he still may face prison time, and as part of the deal, has agreed to pay Nintendo for restitution, to the tune of $4.5 million. Bowser will also have to consent to the destruction or give up the technology seized from his home during his arrest, which includes around 30TB of hard drives, micro SDs, and flash drives, along with laptops, phones, modchips, and hacked game consoles.

:arrow: Source

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Humans are hardwired to have religious and ethnic identity.
If you remove those and make actual religion and nationalism illegal they will gravitate to the next big thing (toys, sports, hobbies)

To them seeing someone pirate videogames is the same as a jewish person seeing his kin thrown in the gas chambers.
To them it is life or death to see Nintendo succeed.

But these "humans" are all pirates complaining about pirated pirate software. Hypocritical sheep.

Detroitguy22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude you've been doing this for months, you're not going to "win" or whatever you're trying to do in these defensive rants you go on, what are you even trying to achieve? You aren't going to convert the "sheep", put down the bong and your dead cfw lmao

Augusto101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
someone must always sacrifice for the community that is appreciated but they simply abused their luck/actions whatever you call it, you get what you deserve even so, they will be remembered in both good and bad way ... long live to the community!!!

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, there are a lot of truly innocent people who plead guilty because they know the court will convict them and a plea deal is their only option.

But Gary was actually guilty of the actions he was accused of, I don't think there was any doubt about that.

The DMCA isn't new, whether it's legal to sell circumvention devices for consoles has been repeatedly discussed in court. I'm not sure another case will change how the courts have viewed it in the past.
the DMCA is fraudulent law bought by a bunch hollyweird pedophiles
if you actually pay for media (music, movies, etc.) you are supporting pedophilia , terrorism and the removal of your own freedoms

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude you've been doing this for months, you're not going to "win" or whatever you're trying to do in these defensive rants you go on, what are you even trying to achieve? You aren't going to convert the "sheep", put down the bong and your dead cfw lmao

Doing what? Using my Switch with all the bells and whistles? Yes I have. All you do is antagonize. Rants? I guess logic and fact seems intense for your tiny feeble mind. Must suck to be you. Go back to you bridge troll. You owe a debt of gratitude to TX as does the rest of the scene. Selfish ingrate. Show some respect and save whatever dignity you have left, little boy. I don't want to convert anyone. Pay attention Son. You are mook.

Reactions: MacuCo

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could make a case for the SX users to be a sort of cult.. Wonder when the documentary will release?

SXOS user aren't constantly trying to convert anyone. That's Atmosphere users. The true cult. I say use both. Enjoy your device to the fullest. I have no interest in recruiting you. You're all mook.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nothing better than users from two different products (that do basically the same) calling each other a cult. Kinda reminds me of some country's politics...
Well, yeah. Modern day anything usually involves at least two parties pointing fingers at each other while both looking stupid.

pofehof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SXOS user aren't constantly trying to convert anyone. That's Atmosphere users. The true cult. I say use both. Enjoy your device to the fullest. I have no interest in recruiting you. You're all mook.

Except you are the guy who has been arguing in defense of SX OS for over 12 hours spamming this topic. You really need to give it a rest.

Also, when SXOS first came out, it was strictly for piracy (since there wasn't much homebrew available, most users couldn't even create their own backups), so you can't say that SX OS was mainly for homebrew.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the Highlander. There can be more than one. You CAN use both. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. I'm not spamming anything. All the trolls turn out in these threads. You should respect what TX has done for the scene. Who cares if its for piracy. You are a pirate.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's not the Highlander. There can be more than one. You CAN use both. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. I'm not spamming anything. All the trolls turn out in these threads. You should respect what TX has done for the scene.
I respect they gave me a hardware option when there was none available. I respect the bootloader which, at the time, was leagues better than Hekate in terms of usability. That doesn't change the fact that they're only in hot water because they couldn't keep it straight. They didn't ever have to advertise piracy. Yet... They did... They didn't ever have to steal code and pass it off as their own.. They did.. You argue morals and call people hypocrites.. Here's the key difference, though.. The pirates aren't claiming their collection as their own. Not the smart ones, anyway.

No amount of your high horse, holier than thou nonsense will change that fact. They screwed up. Big time.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think I am a pirate? And no one cares if it was first, the issue with SX OS is piracy was always their selling point.
Exactly. This isn't a "piracy is bad" thing. It's they were practically bragging about opening the gates to pirated content.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :blush::shy::wink::evil: