Gary Bowser from Team Xecuter pleads guilty to charges, agrees to pay Nintendo $4.5 million

50HCuI7t_400x400.jpg

Last year saw the arrest of two members of Team Xecuter, the hacking group behind the infamous SX OS. MaxConsole administrator and GBAtemp user GaryOPA was a part of that, and was extradited from Canada to the United States, where he would face charges. While he initially claimed he was innocent, the opposing prosecution did not accept the defense of SX OS merely allowing Nintendo Switch users to play homebrew software, and asserted that the main goal of Team Xecuter's exploit was to play pirated copies of games.

Faced with 11 felony counts, Bowser has just pleaded guilty to two of them: trafficking in circumvention devices and conspiracy to circumvent technological measures. According to the court, Team Xecuter has caused an estimated number between $65 million to $150 million in losses to video game companies.

This means that Bowser will not have to go to trial, with the plea deal also waiving the other 9 criminal charges. Despite that, he still may face prison time, and as part of the deal, has agreed to pay Nintendo for restitution, to the tune of $4.5 million. Bowser will also have to consent to the destruction or give up the technology seized from his home during his arrest, which includes around 30TB of hard drives, micro SDs, and flash drives, along with laptops, phones, modchips, and hacked game consoles.

:arrow: Source

pucky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can some one casualy pay me 4.5 mil ? i could use it for uh... things. Maybe i start a potato farm with that money, i like potatoes :3

Reactions: SaberLilly

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hell does this have to do with social justice lol
It's all cancel culture. Social or software. Jumping on the bandwagon and canceling someone or something because its the thing to do. SXOS didn't steal YOUR code. How is it not the exact same thing?

Software Justice Wankers.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much hate towards a scene that provided people the tools you all used to allow piracy.

problem with the internet, no respect for the scene and you all wonder why no one will bother to try find a new exploits for new consoles, as soon as they get caught or dont provide updates, everyone then seems to hate.

id say gutted to be them and say thanks for what you did for all these years.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much hate towards a scene that provided people the tools you all used to allow piracy.

problem with the internet, no respect for the scene and you all wonder why no one will bother to try find a new exploits for new consoles, as soon as they get caught or dont provide updates, everyone then seems to hate.

id say gutted to be them and say thanks for what you did for all these years.
Hypocritical ingrates. This whole time they reap the rewards but condemn the man. There's no getting through to them with logic. They're all sharing a brain. Wait a minute. You're one of the worst ones. Way to flip sides. Even worse.
Don't like this. You should be able to do what you like to your own hardware.
In most places it is quasi legal to do whatever you want with your Hardware except for when you want to circumvent copy protection. You sign some of your rights away when you accept the EULA

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: Yiori

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
A crime is a crime. SX OS never really shied away from being blatantly able to use "backups", and most of the homebrew was specifically for backups.

That's not to say I don't think SX OS was real neato, but if anyone expected Gary to get out of this without any charges or wallet-destroying damage payments, or on the basis of being free to do whatever you want to hardware, you'd be crazy. He's lucky they dropped the laundering stuff.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
What he has to pay doesn't necessarily mean it's what he has. He'll have to pay into that for years/decades.

Structured payments, any taxable income/assets, ninty will just take a portion until they get 4.5 mil

Kinda like child support

They probably will ban him from being able to use a computer, they already took all his tech

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.. he deserved it but if people like you didn't buy it from him then he wouldn't be here and it wouldn't existed. People buy it form him is the reason why he faced the jail time and fined. Scum ? Maybe but people who bought it from him is a scum also.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's all cancel culture. Social or software. Jumping on the bandwagon and canceling someone or something because its the thing to do. SXOS didn't steal YOUR code. How is it not the exact same thing?

Software Justice Wankers.
Not complying with gpl had directly infringed the users rights to access the source too, so it affected the people complainig directly. As a dev I also couldn't really recommend sxos with a good conscience because of this, and all they had to do to prevent this would have been to give credit and release parts of their firmware as open source, that wheren't even core parts of why users used sxos, and all that while finanzially profiting of it.

I really liked their rcm dongle, I use it till this day to inject a payload and boot hekate. And their modchip also wasn't bad, as far as I know, but still I couldn't overlook the other problems, so I only recomended their stuff, when there was no other way, and with a footnote about what they were doing.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Well.. he deserved it but if people like you didn't buy it from him then he wouldn't be here and it wouldn't existed. People buy it form him is the reason why he faced the jail time and fined. Scum ? Maybe but people who bought it from him is a scum also.
I'm scum for buying an SX Core to write homebrew on my Mariko?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu