Hacking Garbled GBA names?

Kitrinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the latest U-Disk manager and have my G6 Lite updated too, but the GBA names appear in the games list like "CASTLEVANIA2A2CE" "CASLTEVANIA FADE" "DRACULA AGB1AAME" for the three castlevanias. Every single GBA rom there appears with a similarly garbled and useless name. In windows the file names all appear like normal long file names. What am I doing wrong? Should they be renamed somehow before transferring them with udisk? Is it because I use windows vista?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the G6 lite uses the internal names within the gba rom, not the actual name that is show in windows, annoying i know, to correct it search this in google and it should let you rename the internal name within the gba rom, it's only limited to a few letters though

"Flash advance toolkit V8"

search that in google

Kitrinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe anyone would make a GUI like that... The GBA roms play very well, but i'm extremely dissapointed by the ability to select them. I can't figure out what im picking, the menu is laggy and difficult to use, and the icons only make it harder to read/scroll down the list. Man, that's sad. It should be a simple list of file names. It doesn't need icons or that cursor, and there should be an option to boot directly into GBA mode too. Seeing as the device's firmware is flashable there's no excuse for this to not be the case.

Anyway I appreciate your help, I guess ill try to give them little internal code words that I can identify.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
you can manually change the icons aswell with a customised bmp

http://g6icons.homeip.net/index.php?search=&page=1

here is the website, you upload a image for that game so you know what it is and you won't even need the text at all, the image has to be a certain size for it to work.

to replace a icon for the gba game, load your gba roms you want to play with the g6 manager, go to it's directory find the file name of the gba game you want to replace in the gba section, it should be .bmp get your customised .bmp file you uploaded from that website i showed you and replace it with the file on the G6 lite and then eject the g6 lite and go into the menu, you should see a nice customised logo instead of the generic one now, it's a shame about the cursor, i hear you on the one.

Kitrinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks you for the tips. I actually saw the icon changing in an earlier thread as I was looking for an answer, but I keep them in small icon mode to make it more readable anyway. I can tweak the settings to make it workable, but I guess I just am disappointed that the interface isn't a bit more elegant.

BTW are you sure those are purely the internal names? What is the hex number after the readable text, the game's ID number?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i have no idea about hex numbers but i am 100% sure that the shortened names are the internal names as when i change the internal name with that flash advance program and upload the same gba rom in the G6 menu it shows the name that i gave it recently, and yes you can get rid of the icons but it will only still show the internal names so you will have to still alter the internal names anyway.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those aren't hex numbers, that's the four letter game code that's printed on every GBA cart.

You can change both the internal game name and the game code by using a hex editor (16 bytes total, starting at decimal offset 160). This will give you up to 16 letters for the name you want to use.

The only problem I've had doing that was when I tried running a game in no$gba after I'd hex edited it. It told me the header CRC was wrong, and called me a retard. You could probably fix the header with GBATA or some other tool, but it worked in the G6, so I never cared enough to try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Now you can zoom in and actually see your pee pee when you pee pee,.