Gaming trends through the years...

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I know the vocal majority of gamers including me hate the way that gaming has went so far. FPS this, brown and bloom that, etc...

But this won't last forever. Just look at the gaming trends. The gaming world seems to be on a constant ebb and tide.

Examples!

Atari age: Just getting their feet soaked, didn't have much of a pattern besides product placement games and maze/arena games

NES age: Platformers. Platformers everywhere.

SNES age: Mascots were the largest thing here, and Platforming still going strong, but the rise of RPGs starts in this age.

PS1 age: You got TONS of RPGs flooding the market here, on all platforms. Platformers are on the way out the door. A few FPS games are released during this age.

PS2 age: Still tons of RPGs on the PS2, some on the GC, but FPS starts the slow creep to the top on the Xbox. Platformers still cling to life on the Gamecube

360/PS3 age: FPS all day err day. WRPGs are still going strong, but JRPGs are showing the signs of death. Platformers are officially dead except for Wii and handhelds.

So it's easy to conclude that FPS games will make their slow creep into the ether as well, while something else takes it's place.

Reactions: 5 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Augmented Reality has already shown its ugly limitations though.

Any limitations that are present can be improved upon.

With what? A bigger marker? :P

Of course not. Maybe not in the REALLY near future, but in the near future, AR apps/games could start recognizing real-world objects.

But that could set off a plethora of bugs given that lighting conditions and camera quality are also a factor.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course not. Maybe not in the REALLY near future, but in the near future, AR apps/games could start recognizing real-world objects.
the first time I saw Spirit Camera I though: WOW! this turns your house into a haunted house!.... but it ended up being just meh :glare:

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FPS games will likely never disappear (unless gaming changes so radically). The first person perspective can be a really powerful and effective way to convey the story and the game mechanics (and people are so familiar with it that they adapt easily), which is developers have been eager to use it. There might be less eventually, but it's a genre that's here to stay.

Really, though, as long as we have a healthy variety of games to choose from (which we definitely do now), I can't really see this as much of a problem.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Depends a bit on what you make of the said genre. There are already mixed genres: FPS/RPGs, Action RPGs, Strategy RPG, RTS-RPG (kinda like Spellforce (PC side, but still)), TPS/RPG (Mass Effect?), etc. Of course there are games like CoD that are meant to be played without that much character development. Those games where present since the days of the first CS ('99) and even before that (Quake mods like TF). CoD has just made it more mainstream since the limitations/advantages of the hardware are present for everyone regardless of the machine they're using, ie. PS3/360.

I'll just be waiting for more interesting games which can pass the barriers of typical games nowadays. Personally I think CoD is mainly fun with friends in local/online Co-op, but then again my roommate plays more free for all on my PS3. I also used to hate TPS and FPS based RPG'ish games, but Fallout 3 and Mass Effect among a few games, have changed my opinion on those. In the end a game with a story is more entertaining than a game without one. One of the reasons why Castlevania for example is more interesting than SMB in terms of story, though gameplay wise I like them both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.