Gaming Skills May Have Saved This Man's Life

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a semi-truck carrying 30 metric tons of sand jackknifed through the concrete barrier into oncoming traffic on Ontario's Highway 401 Friday morning, driver Matthew Krizsan narrowly escaped what might have been a fatal accident.

Krizsan and a female companion were driving along the highway on Friday morning with a dashboard-mounted video camera running when the semi burst through the barrier. It looked like a scene out of a Michael Bay film, an appropriate comparison considering Krizsan's stunt driver-like reaction.

"Everything seemed to slow down and I think all those years playing video games as a kid paid-off," he said in a phone interview.
You can hear bits of debris bouncing off Krizsan's car as he quickly swerves, managing to avoid the truck while staying on the road and not hitting any other vehicles. Whether it was video game-tested reflexes or an adrenalin-fueled moment of clarity, he and his passenger are lucky to be alive.

Source:http://kotaku.com/5741709/gaming-skills-may-have-saved-this-mans-life

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frog said:
Pretty damn sure it had nothing to do with his leet video game skills...
Either way I better start playing more games, just in case.
Same sort of thing happened to me when a school bus cut across my lane in an illegal turn. Everything slowed down, and I was able to only total my car instead of running under the bus, and getting run over in my car with a good chance of having a broken spine/decapitated. I'm lucky to be alive, and I will attribute it to video games as well.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't want to get you out of your "I'm-a-gamer-so-I-have-superreflexes-dream" but that 'slow motion' effect is just caused by an adrenaline rush.
It's thanks to adrenaline that you're reflexes are faster at life threatening situations.
So pretty much everyone has it.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beertje111 said:
Don't want to get you out of your "I'm-a-gamer-so-I-have-superreflexes-dream" but that 'slow motion' effect is just caused by an adrenaline rush.
It's thanks to adrenaline that you're reflexes are faster at life threatening situations.

No, gamers just have super powers.

But seriously I've thankfully never been in any sort of life threatening situation so I wouldn't know but I'm going to have to say it was probably the adrenaline and maybe gaming helped I mean it was proven that gamers have faster reflexes so maybe we have that extra bit of boost even when the adrenaline is kicking in.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I once was working as a waiter and as I was serving some dishes to a table when several things got pushed around to make space and a bottle of beer tipped over, almost causing a disaster on the table, but due to my supernatural gamer reflexes I firmly grabbed the bottle on the fly before it fell and put it back on the table.
People said that was amazing, and I had great reflexes and I saved their dinner.
I said that's because I play lots of vidogames, and we had a laugh !

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beertje111 said:
Yes, everyone has it. However people like me who get in the "Zone" on video games have the same effect. I can visualize something and get an adrenaline rush, and I could be just sitting there on my bed. Everything slows down, and I can call on it anytime I want to thanks to video games.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to think squeezing bits and pieces of my endocrine system was fun, covering myself in goose bumps anytime I wanted and being able to call up a mad cycle sprint at will. It was fun, I was young and enjoyed getting high on my own body's chemicals.

I turned 26-27 and everything went a bit wrong. I lost control of the surges and spent the next 6 years trying to control extreme non specific trigger panic attacks. I used to get so much crap flooded through my system my whole body would be shaking and my heart even to an outside observer would feel like it was coming out of my chest. The doctors always thought I had taken an external substance but the tests always came back negative. I thought I was a going to die a few times but I guess I'm still here.

It is possible underlying anxiety problems triggered the problems however, I think fucking with my endocrine system as a young bloke made it 10 times worse.

10 yeas later I'm ok but, I still have to be careful with caffeine and sometimes alcohol, otherwise the after effects will start to trigger things.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Argentum Vir said:
Yes, everyone has it. However people like me who get in the "Zone" on video games have the same effect. I can visualize something and get an adrenaline rush, and I could be just sitting there on my bed. Everything slows down, and I can call on it anytime I want to thanks to video games.
What is this "Zone" you're talking about?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Argentum Vir said:
You start playing a game. People try to talk to you, and you cannot hear them. You play better, faster, and harder.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Argentum Vir said:
Berthenk said:
Argentum Vir said:
You start playing a game. People try to talk to you, and you cannot hear them. You play better, faster, and harder.

That started happening to me 4 years ago 0_O

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
You idiots, its not has gaming skills that saved his life! It's the good handling on the vehicle and acute steering manuvering. If he had a jeep, I bet you he would of got hit from the back end while swerving out of control.

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the games that saved his life, it's the small amount of radioactive waste that is secretly hidden inside of every video game case that saved his life.

Everybody knows that radioactive waste gives people super powers!
hrth.gif

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you are going to post news, then do it properly.
Like this:

QUOTE said:
When a semi-truck carrying 30 metric tons of sand jackknifed through the concrete barrier into oncoming traffic on Ontario's Highway 401 Friday morning, driver Matthew Krizsan narrowly escaped what might have been a fatal accident.

Krizsan and a female companion were driving along the highway on Friday morning with a dashboard-mounted video camera running when the semi burst through the barrier. It looked like a scene out of a Michael Bay film, an appropriate comparison considering Krizsan's stunt driver-like reaction.

"Everything seemed to slow down and I think all those years playing video games as a kid paid-off," he said in a phone interview.
You can hear bits of debris bouncing off Krizsan's car as he quickly swerves, managing to avoid the truck while staying on the road and not hitting any other vehicles. Whether it was video game-tested reflexes or an adrenalin-fueled moment of clarity, he and his passenger are lucky to be alive.

*add your own comment here*

Source

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
If you are going to post news, then do it properly.
Like this:

QUOTE said:

*add your own comment here*

Source
You formatted it wrong too...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things