Hardware gaming laptop vs gaming desktop (questions) !?

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Hey guys, i am astound to see so many games being ported over to pc, many of my fav genre (jrpgs) so i am kind of interested in getting some sort of gaming laptop or possibly a desktop.

tilting more towards a laptop, i might save up for one, but i have some questions, so lets say i have steam and loaded a bunch of games, can i store some of those into external hdds?

and also will i ever have any sort of BSOD whilst playing or force closing errors? i was always turned off by pc gaming as i got into problems quite often (back in the DVD installation days) not sure how things look now but to see so many ports i was wondering!

let me know what a good choice would be.

Reactions: Jylean

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can download the games from Steam or generally install anything to whatever drive you want. Why would you get BSOD? Those only happen if there's something wrong with the computer or a game/program has a SEVERE memory leak, both of which are VERY rare (haven't encountered a BSOD in 4 years just for reference and I play on PC all the time). As for force closing, only if something happens to cause the game to shut down (eg: not enough RAM) or you do something yourself that causes it to go unresponsive (eg: quickly changing from fullscreen to window couple times or minimizing a game that doesn't allow minimizing). PC has never been complicated and back in the day, it just happened that many games weren't made well programming-wise, only reason you'd get so many issues, things have improved a lot by now, so just get back into it!

PS: As for choice on what to go for, it depends on what you want. If you want portability, get a laptop, but know that for the same price, desktops will always have better performance, especially if you build them yourself (which I HIGHLY suggest doing). Also, desktops have upgradability and are easier to fix if there's a hardware problem, which makes them the best choice if you don't plan to be moving them around. They do require getting a monitor though...

ofthriceandmen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the other hand, there are companies out there like cyberpower and many others that let you pick every part and they ship you the finished thing, if you'd rather not build it yourself.
It worked pretty well for me.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
On the other hand, there are companies out there like cyberpower and many others that let you pick every part and they ship you the finished thing, if you'd rather not build it yourself.
It worked pretty well for me.
It's always best to build it yourself, as you get to understand how your computer will work internally better, you decide how the cable management happens, you can make sure they don't rip you off by doing shoddy work, plus those services are just way too overpriced, just to name a few reasons why I advise against those. Just because it's their job, doesn't mean they are better at building computers, many can be lazy or swap out a part here or there without you knowing (eg: slower RAM) and you may not even notice it unless you take it apart afterwards and on top of that you never know how properly they handled the parts. Normally you need to wipe your hands along a grounded metal to make sure you don't damage anything with static (crystals on the motherboard and processor are easily damaged), but I've only ever seen ONE person that did that as part of their work...

Oypoui

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys, i am astound to see so many games being ported over to pc, many of my fav genre (jrpgs) so i am kind of interested in getting some sort of gaming laptop or possibly a desktop.

tilting more towards a laptop, i might save up for one, but i have some questions, so lets say i have steam and loaded a bunch of games, can i store some of those into external hdds?

and also will i ever have any sort of BSOD whilst playing or force closing errors? i was always turned off by pc gaming as i got into problems quite often (back in the DVD installation days) not sure how things look now but to see so many ports i was wondering!

let me know what a good choice would be.
The gaming laptops are becoming more affordable these days but it still quite expensive for the power you get specially when you compare to a gaming desktop.
Just make sure that you need to play in a mobile device. The gaming desktop might stand longer and offer you the possibility to upgrade it easily.
With a stable system you won't have any BSOD. Heat control and dust cleaning help to keep your device running properly.
If you don't feel confortable on building your machine, you can consider to get one from a gaming brand.

By the way, which JRPGs are you playing ?

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gaming laptops are only good if you need the portability or the small form factor (e.g if you have a tiny desk). They suffer from lower gaming performance, zero upgradabity, and usually an inferior screen.

Gaming desktops are much better if you know you won’t be moving it around as the customisability, upgradability, and overall performance is much better for the price. Plus you can make sure you choose an excellent screen.

Either way, you will want your own peripherals (keyboard, mouse, controller) so enjoy your games.

Reactions: felix.200

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1