Gaming for charity with the worst games ever

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by oppopp, Feb 17, 2011.

1. oppopp
    OP

oppopp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2009
    Hey guys found some awesome guys on the internet last year doing a marathon (gaming) for charity.
    They are now doing another marathon (gaming) for a different charity and i would really appreciate if you guys would check it out and spread the word.
    It shows what gamers can do to help the world
    They are playing 60 hours straight of the worst games they could think off including games like superman 64, ET (atari 2600), Doctor who return to earth, shaq fu and big rigs
    they are aiming to make $10,000 12 hours in they have made $1000
    the charity is http://www.charitywater.org/ they help developing countries get access to clean and safe drinking water
    http://www.charitywater.org/blog/ctw-gametoaid/ they were lucky enough to get a blog post on the website

the live stream is on
    http://gametoaid.org/

cheers oppopp

2. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Wouldn't it be quite silly if they picked what is generally known as a bad game, but it turns out to be very good?

3. GundamXXX

GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Sep 25, 2007
    Australia
    Rofl

That sounds pretty fking awesome ;D
    Wish I could compete

4. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Games are only as good as the friends you play them with.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. oppopp
    OP

oppopp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2009
    The point is the fact that its guys that are about to go to uni/college and want to do something productive with there time. its hilarious and they are raffling of merch and the games they are playing, tickets are bought by donating

quick update at the moment they are playing superman 64 (notoriously one of the worst games for its glitches bad gameplay bad dialogue and terrible graphics even for the 64 they were bad)

but if you cant donate spread the word

6. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    ET is not the worst game that I can think of. It is actually pretty fun once you know what to do so you can stop ending up in the holes all the time. The game takes about 5-10 minutes to beat. Anyone who can win the game will quickly understand the reason for putting in all of the pitfalls, they made a 16kb ROM seem like it takes a bit longer to play. The pits are not random and once you know the levels you can avoid them. After that the game is really fun, especially for an Atari 2600 game.

Having written a few compatibility lists over the last few years I have taken the time to play through a few "good sets". I can think of many more games which are either frustratingly difficult, had poor level design as to take away the fun, or just had no business being made into a video game.

-Another World

7. oppopp
    OP

oppopp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2009
    Well ET is renowned as one of the worst games but looking at what they've played so far nothing can be as bad a charlies angels on the ps2 hahaha

8. JinTrigger

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    Once I find the time to set things up I wanna do something like this

9. Oveneise

Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2010
    United States
    Minnesota
    ET isn't the worst game ever, but probably the biggest disappointment ever. After being hyped as having mind blowing graphics and amazing gameplay, expectations fell dramatically short. Playing the game today, it feels like your average Atari 2600 game, not good, not bad. Now, if they truly want a BAD game, they need to try out the abomination that is Drake of the 99 Dragons.

10. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    They should play any of the Monster Hunter games.

11. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I'm sorry but I can't see this being that big of a success like other gaming for charity things have been.

Like last years, was all Mario games. That was fun to watch. But this is all bad games....

12. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Well it's like have you ever played a shitty game with some friends? It doesn't become all that shitty, it's just pretty funny.

Like I sat down with my buddies and watch Metroid Other M's movie mode. Christ that was hilarious. Such a shitty plot and a pretty shitty game overall. But quite fun to laugh at, although it was drawn out way too long.

Horror games also make great multiplayer ones. My friend's have played Silent Hill: Shattered Memories together and that was fun. We're on Silent Hill 2 and occasionally Dead Space but we'll get around to Fatal Frame IV and Dead Space Extraction sometime.

13. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    No I'm saying that it's boring to watch. They don't really do anything that stands out other than the occasional laugh. Where as if you take a personality like AVGN, make him play the bad games, he would be spewing out and flipping, even if its fake.

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    is the avgn gonna be participating?! [​IMG]

15. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    I had a feeling Shaq-Fu would come up after I saw the title. [​IMG]