Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Was it formatted to FAT16?
I wonder if the cluster size has anything to do with it. Since mine is 2GB, I could only test it with the cluster size of 64KB. I initially tested Kirby's Dream Land 2, LoZOoA, LoZOoS, LoZLA, Shantae, and Wario Land II.

yeah, had fat16. also happens here, no matter the cluster size... tried with 16kb (minimum for 1gb) and 64kb

edit: lol.. if use sd formatter to format the card it works.. and it does format it with FAT16 16kb

if i use windows formatter, it no longuer works independently of cluster size xD

had been testing here for a while and can confirm windows formatter sucks

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, had fat16. also happens here, no matter the cluster size... tried with 16kb (minimum for 1gb) and 64kb

edit: lol.. if use sd formatter to format the card it works.. and it does format it with FAT16 16kb

if i use windows formatter, it no longuer works independently of cluster size xD

had been testing here for a while and can confirm windows formatter sucks

I might have to check that out, then. I've just been using a Windows XP VM to format it under command line.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I might have to check that out, then. I've just been using a Windows XP VM to format it under command line.

i just triple checked. same results.

2gb kingston card
fat16 format

format using windows: save doesn't work.. no matter cluster size. (tried 16 and 64)
format with sdformatter (as people call it panasonic formatter): it formats the card as fat16 with 16 cluster, it does work.

i tried this 3 times, changed format orders.. same results...

so basically. windows formatter sucks. use sdformatter (panasonic formatter) every time!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just triple checked. same results.

2gb kingston card
fat16 format

format using windows: save doesn't work.. no matter cluster size. (tried 16 and 64)
format with sdformatter (as people call it panasonic formatter): it formats the card as fat16 with 16 cluster, it does work.

i tried this 3 times, changed format orders.. same results...

so basically. windows formatter sucks. use sdformatter (panasonic formatter) every time!

I've seen it mentioned before. I just never had troubles with MS's format tools before. I'm doing a bit of digging for the Panasonic version, the newer version has a different author so I assume it might not be as good.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I've seen it mentioned before. I just never had troubles with MS's format tools before. I'm doing a bit of digging for the Panasonic version, the newer version has a different author so I assume it might not be as good.

i always used the new version.. so far so good..

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Drenn
alleyway (an arcanoid clone for gameboy)
the pad instantly goes to the left and it is stuck, doesn't move..
tried to change options around (like gbc mode, or sgb) doesn't fix it..

however, its funny how gameyob is the only emulator that uses the gameboy color palletes... i tried 2 diferent VBA emulators on the pc, none shows GBC palletes.. (even if i force mode to game boy color

PS: today i finished link's awakening, and when i saw your avatar i now get it xD

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having an odd issue with this. When I first copy .sav files over everything seems to work fine, but within another boot or two the saves for certain games just stop loading. Even more odd is that they are clearly still present on the SD card when I check after, but the files seem to become useless in Gameyob.

One time all of my saves were deleted, as well as most of my games and a number of unrelated DS games. I have no idea what that was, but it hasn't happened again. Fortunately I had everything backed up at the time, but it's concerning.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm using an AceKard 2i by the way.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having an odd issue with this. When I first copy .sav files over everything seems to work fine, but within another boot or two the saves for certain games just stop loading. Even more odd is that they are clearly still present on the SD card when I check after, but the files seem to become useless in Gameyob.

One time all of my saves were deleted, as well as most of my games and a number of unrelated DS games. I have no idea what that was, but it hasn't happened again. Fortunately I had everything backed up at the time, but it's concerning.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm using an AceKard 2i by the way.

Sounds like the problem I ran into. Are you using FAT16 on your MSD by chance? If so, back up everything, reformat it with the tool linked here, and then copy everything back over and test it then.

TheBeverage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the problem I ran into. Are you using FAT16 on your MSD by chance? If so, back up everything, reformat it with the tool linked here, and then copy everything back over and test it then.
The format was FAT32, but I'll try that tool anyway and see if it helps. Thanks.

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, the job you have done with this emulator is amazing, but i have 2 questions:
1) How is the Nifi working and how many game work with it?
2) The Nifi will be improved in the future?
Thats all my questions, i´ll continue playing Pokemon Crystal, Thanks! :yaysp:

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, the job you have done with this emulator is amazing, but i have 2 questions:
1) How is the Nifi working and how many game work with it?
2) The Nifi will be improved in the future?
Thats all my questions, i´ll continue playing Pokemon Crystal, Thanks! :yaysp:
The author, Drenn, doesn't currently have plans for an update. It looks like a lot of the work has shifted over to the 3DS version.

On the first page, it says Tetris and Dr. Mario are known to reliably work. Other than that it's too experimental. You only have to enable it on both DSs.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The author, Drenn, doesn't currently have plans for an update. It looks like a lot of the work has shifted over to the 3DS version.

Even the 3DS version isn't really receiving updates from Drenn himself anymore. The more recent updates have mostly come from Steveice10, adding support for features the DS version already had such as full screen scaling. The DS version is in a much more complete state with features like SGB borders. I'm not sure what else I really want from a GB emulator!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a site to download saves for this emulator?

It uses the same battery saves as every other GBC emulator, as they all just use a raw dump, so as long as it's a GB battery save, it will probably work. As for States, that's generally unique to each emulator.
Even the 3DS version isn't really receiving updates from Drenn himself anymore. The more recent updates have mostly come from Steveice10, adding support for features the DS version already had such as full screen scaling. The DS version is in a much more complete state with features like SGB borders. I'm not sure what else I really want from a GB emulator!
Ah, okay. I haven't really messed with 3DS homebrew yet. I generally wait until the end of a system's lifespan, when it comes to systems that get firmware updates, before messing with homebrew. I do check GameYob and a few others from time to time just to see how 3DS homebrew is progressing.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been getting a bunch of reports with saving not working properly. I'm not updating this atm, for now, all I can suggest is turning autosaving off and seeing if that helps. When autosaving is off, your save data will be backed up to the SD card when you select the "exit" option.

As for save states, they should be working fine, except for one bug where when you select a border, the save states are stored in the wrong directory. This should be fixed in my latest build link, but if you need to work around this, you can just exit & reload the rom after opening it.

Turning auto-saving off and using "exit" works until powering the device off. Then the save is wiped.
As it stands now gameyob is entirely unusable for supercard ds two (both stable and latest builds) as the saves are not persistent.
Pity, because the emulator rocks except for the saving issue. Gameyob 0.5

After scouring the thread a bit more, I found the following
While this does narrow down the problem, I don't understand how my changes in .4.1 would cause this...

Anyway... falconcrest and ShadowOne333, here is a test build which uses the less intrusive method of autosaving. It causes some in-game lag when I use my old SD card, but my new one is just fine.

bobmcjr, I have no idea what to do about your issue. If all else fails, I would try with another microSD card...

I intend to test this version to see if it fixes the problem I'm facing. If it does, great... but may I suggest making this a new build so that people downloading the latest version don't face the same issue.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this does narrow down the problem, I don't understand how my changes in .4.1 would cause this...

Anyway... falconcrest and ShadowOne333, here is a test build which uses the less intrusive method of autosaving. It causes some in-game lag when I use my old SD card, but my new one is just fine.

bobmcjr, I have no idea what to do about your issue. If all else fails, I would try with another microSD card...

Just an update, the "test build" works great on my end. Thanks for your hard work!

Tiger21820

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo3dscentral.com
XP
Country
United States
Feature request:
A cheat button.

On the cheat menu, you can choose the cheats that you want to activate by setting it to something like 'Cheat button'
Then on the button config you can map any button as the cheat button (e.g. X=Cheat Button), then when you press the button, it activates the codes you selected on the cheat menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu