Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

spiderman1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For installing I understand you install the cia file gameYob.cia" in fbi but what about the other files like gameyob.elf, GameYob.3ds, GameYob.3dsx. What about those ones?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For installing I understand you install the cia file gameYob.cia" in fbi but what about the other files like gameyob.elf, GameYob.3ds, GameYob.3dsx. What about those ones?
.elf is the original executable, used to create the others.
.3ds is the rom for flashcards
.3dsx is the version compatible with the homebrew launcher

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
@piratesephiroth Do I need to install the .3dsx to use the emulator or I just use fbi to install gameyob.cia? Would the homebrew launcher version run better?
Either way that you want/prefer (both at the same time isn't necessary at all).

And I would say that it's the same performance either on .3dsx or .cia (if I'm wrong, someone else correct me, please)

Last edited by fmkid,

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Either way that you want/prefer (both at the same time isn't necessary at all).

And I would say that it's the same performance either on .3dsx or .cia (if I'm wrong, someone else correct me, please)
Any emulator in .3dsx or cia have the same perfomance except retroarch,if you use 3dsx of retroarch have better perfomance than the crappy cia.

Reactions: fmkid
D

Deleted User

Does SGB mode not work for certain games?(like Metroid 2) It remains in GBC mode or regular GB mode for me, no matter if everything else is off etc.

I've tried on both the 3ds version(cia) as well as the version on twilightmenu++

Last edited by ,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if i'm trying to use gameyob?
I haven't figured out how to force SGB border on Metroid II - Return of Samus on either GameYoB or mGBA.

If you want to play this game with a border,
  1. NSUI (beta 28) → FileNewGame Boy CIA
  2. ProjectLoad ROM...Metroid II - Return of Samus (UA) [!].gb (CRC32: DEE05370)
  3. ToolsGame databasePlatform: Game Boy → Game list: Metroid II - Return of Samus (World)
  4. Injection Method options...VC options , Border image: Custom image (400x240)
    • Here's an example PNG border template. Create or edit in Photoshop or GIMP.
    • Make sure the PPI (pixel per square inch) is set to 96 to avoid a shrunked or blown image.
  5. ProjectExport CIA...Metroid II Return of Samus.cia
  6. FBISD → ... → Metroid II Return of Samus.ciaInstall and delete CIA
  7. HOME Menu → launch the game and hold either the (START) or (SELECT) button.

You can play .GB roms in GBC preset color palettes on mGBA by text editing this file in Programmer's Notepad,
  • sdmc:/mGBA/config.ini
Under the [ports.3ds] section, add this line.
  • Code:
    useCgbColors=1

Colorized romhacks for this game. Apply IPS patches to the base rom via Lunar IPS or Floating IPS. These would have to be injected as Game Boy Color CIA.

Metroid II DX

Metroid II - Return of Samus (UA) [!].gb
(DEE05370)
+​
Metroid 2 Colour 2.0.ips (B292BBAD)
=​
Metroid 2 Colour 2.0.gb (D1DB593D)

-or-

Metroid II EJRTQ

Metroid II - Return of Samus (UA) [!].gb
(DEE05370)
+​
metroid ii - color (ejrtq) v1.3.ips (E35D3073)
=​
metroid ii - color (ejrtq) v1.3.gb (A2D565B0)
+​
metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1-3_-_addendum.ips (69B5156C)
=​
metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1-3_-_addendum.gb (351C97E0)

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: fmkid and zfreeman

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Can I increase the speed of gba and gb games using this ?
GameYob doesn't run GBA games, for GB(C) games though, yes you can. I think the default fast forward key is L, but you can change it if you want from the menu (tap the screen by default) -> Settings -> Key Config. If you want speedup though you probably want to use the DSi version (included in TWiLight Menu++ or here (or Universal-Updater)) as it runs faster than the 3DS version for whatever reason iirc.

For GBA games if you're on n3DS you might be able to get some speedup using mGBA or gpSP in RetroArch, those already have a hard enough time running at 100% speed though that I'm not sure how much they can speed up.

Edit: Did a quick test, GameYob DSi gets about 400 FPS on the title screen of Pokémon Crystal, GameYob 3DS gets only about 200 FPS.

Last edited by Pk11,

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can I increase the speed of gba and gb games using this ?
Forget about fastfowarding GBA games, the only software that could do that runs slowly even when it should run at normal speed, so unless choppy frameskipping is your idea of increasing speed, then no, it can't be done. Also this is a GB/GBC emulator. Please read the threads carefully before asking stuff

CrvyloOo

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How can I convert images to be usable as borders? I downloaded an archive of every sgb border and they do not work. I tried converting them all to .bmp and that didn't work either. What format do custom borders need to be in? I can upload the folder too if that helps.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How can I convert images to be usable as borders? I downloaded an archive of every sgb border and they do not work. I tried converting them all to .bmp and that didn't work either. What format do custom borders need to be in? I can upload the folder too if that helps.
Gameyob DS can simply use the borders directly from the ROMS. It's also better in other ways, i suggest you simply use gameyob DS. UNLESS you want custom borders. In that case.. i don't know the answer to your question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup