Gamestop's latest financial report shows a loss of $488.6 million

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 1, 2018.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    EB games was a lot better. And there was Game Crazy, also better.

2. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    You mean they were two distinct companies before?
    I see...

3. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Gamestop is gonna have to get into the business of repairing phones and computers. The game figurines are not a good plan..
    I always had an idea for a game store offering all generations of games. The real money will be made from repairing phones/tablets and computers/laptops not from selling the games. Selling the games is just because i'm into gaming.

Everybody likes online digital copies that you never actually own. I for one like the feeling of actually buying something. In 20 years no one will have any content that is not provided through a online service. Only the smart people will have the content on their own servers. The pirates will be the only ones with content that they can then choose to archive or give away.

The only thing digital has is convenience. Companies would love there to be no physical copies. Then they can sell you the same product over and over again. So my fellow pirates please copy that floppy....

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  4. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Meh, not really surprised. Gamestop's reputation just keeps getting worse with how they go out of their way to put their shaft into oblivious parents and grandparents. Don't be surprised if you hear or read about it happening again this holiday season! With how shady they are, you'd almost think they were owned by the same guys that run EA.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Was it ever "worth" going to them? They, or game shops in general, were solely a service of convenience (a guaranteed, or all but guaranteed, purchaser in a fixed location with no shipping, advertising, or payment worries) for as long as I can remember, and said memory also includes times where yard sales, swap meets, car boot sales, classified ads, computer fayres and more besides were a thing.

6. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Come to Brazil!

Here you can have a 300% price markup on the gaming market and people will thank you for it.

PS4 Pro all yours for only the equivalent to $1000 dollah! Xbox One X real cheap only $700 dollah!

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  7. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Ahhhhh, the smell of modern day Capitalism.

8. RPG_FAN128

RPG_FAN128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United States
    To be blunt I am quite amazed that Gamestop is still in business. One time ...(Googles when Last Story came out)... in late 2012 I went into a Gamestop store only to see a USED copy of Last Story (Wii) for a crazy high price. This especially caught my eye as I knew I could buy a NEW copy on Amazon for less money. Intrigued I quickly looked for other used-game prices only to confirm once again NEW Amazon prices were cheaper than Gamestop's USED prices.

And here we are 6 years later and this store chain is still in business?

9. Xanol

Xanol Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    United States
    Minnesota
    I can't imagine why there would be an issue? I mean who doesn't like going into a store where the employees' only goal is to upsell you as much as they can, and everything is overpriced. They don't wanna help, they just want to sell you as much shit as possible to meet their quotas. When I can just download the same game cheaper without the harassment, why would I ever go there?

10. foob

foob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Speaking of overpriced...

Here in Australia they have more recently opened these Zing pop culture stores which are under the EB GAMES Australia business. With dying physical game sales these stores basically devote the whole store to selling merchandise.

I think my relationship with the word Zing has forever been tarnished.

zingpopculture.com.au

11. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    This is awful news, not in regards to the company itself but the employees who are at risk of losing their jobs if GS goes under. It's possible it will, just not for now.

There was GameStation which became part of GAME and GameStop Ireland did ship to Britain though they stopped since earlier this year.

CeX might be crappy for its customers but still have better prices than GAME.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

GAME don't screw its consumers? Guess you're serious cause it ain't April Fools. The prices at GAME are ridiculously overpriced and even when it's on "sale" it's the standard price at other stores.

They're too heading down to bankrupt because their prices are a con, and the rewards card? Just another way of pretending the customer is getting a deal.

12. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008

Gamestation was the best store. Much better on trade ins and most of all they did RETRO!!!! Shame they got swallowed up by GAME.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I still remember GameStation and wish they had a fighting chance against EB Games / GameStop, GAME and CeX but GAME devoured them. GS had really good prices, friendly service, games were organized.

Besides that, GS didn't slap stickers all over the covers like CeX does.

I don't really buy games these days but still bugs me CeX does that as it leaves the plastic sticky.

I'm surprised GAME hasn't went under.. yet.

14. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    Looks like GameStop will be offering bundles soon in order to stay relevant

15. pasc

pasc GBATemps GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Germany
    Germany
    First the retailers. Then the consoles.
    No more hardcopy games any time soon..

I wouldn't like that. At all.
    (Not that I buy em from stores, but I prefer to have an actual game in my hand.)

16. foob

foob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Physical will just get more precious and less-used as time goes on. Then some will see what they've lost. The second-hand physical market is very important and that will shrink further as time goes on. Even with physical today we have an over-dependence of online content, which makes the older stuff even more precious.

In Australia it's already happened. Good article on Kotaku explaining how Game Australia fell apart.