Gamestop's latest financial report shows a loss of $488.6 million

GameStop-1024x562.jpg

Video game retailer GameStop appears to be continuing its ongoing struggle, according to the company's latest financial report. The third quarter of the year brought in a loss of $488.6 million dollars, which in turn caused company stocks to plummet by 13%. Despite what could be considered a record year for the gaming industry, GameStop saw lower than expected sales for major releases, as well as weak performance for pre-owned purchases. Rob Lloyd, chief operating and financial officer, claimed that though Black Friday/Cyber Monday did well to increase sales performance, he has lowered investor expectations for the following holiday season, stating that software sales will not be very high, compared to hardware, likely resulting in further losses during an important season.

While our Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales were strong, we anticipate that our fourth quarter sales will skew more towards hardware than initially planned which, along with underperformance of certain titles, weakness in pre-owned and recent sales promotions, will result in fourth quarter earnings that are below our previous expectations,

:arrow: Source

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Shrink wrap doesn't look pretty on shelves and they have to remove the games from the shelf in order to protect them from theft.

That being said, I have had Gamestop employees ask me if I want a sealed copy of the game that they had behind the counter. Might be worth a shot asking? Obviously depends on their supply situation.

Around here, they never ask if we want that and pretend they don't have them (even if I can look over the counter and SEE a shrink wrapped copy.) It's a waste of time, and I'd rather take my business elsewhere.

Also, nobody is suggesting they put the actual copies of games on shelves. That's like saying "please steal me." What I don't want is when they lie about something being the "last copy" and give me what might as well be a used copy.

I'm assuming you love Amazon because of the discount you get on Pre-Orders if you have Prime and/or release day delivery

Release day delivery and prime in general is already a joke. Shipping takes three days sometimes, and there's sometimes 1-2 days of "processing." The worst part is when shipping takes more than two days, they'll sometimes go and alter the delivery estimate and shipped date to make it look like you're lying when you contact customer support. Not to mention, prime only guarantees shipping. Not processing time.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sooner they die the better.
We already have a second hand store for selling our products. Its called Ebay , Amazon , Craigslist , gbatemp ...
Fuck gamestop .... they're a RIPoff

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At Gamestop, when you buy a "new" game they take the game case off the shelf and put the disk in from under the cabinet. I dunno about you, but after running into that multiple times, I got sick of dealing with their shit. "New" means that shrink wrap is intact.

Color me not surprised.
Well, yea, that is disgusting. They first did it to me like 20 years ago on PS1 and you would think the chances of this happening would be pretty low, or they would stop lying about used games being new, but I only buy from them like once every few years and I swear this happens at least 70% or more of the time.

Reactions: chaoskagami

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see people are still struggling with the "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay" notion. If you don't like what they are offering then take it elsewhere.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaaaand it's gone...

But seriously is anyone truly surprised? They are too busy selling everything except for good games. Last time I went into Gamestop, they had a station for android tablets and ipads (The things that negatively affect their bottom line).

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Digital or online sales? Two different concepts as far as this gaming lark goes, at least until I am allowed to resell/lend/trade said downloaded titles.

Digital like PSN sales. Those have become more and more common as the years have gone by. Only makes sense that brick and mortar stores like GameStop would take a hit. This also explains why when you buy a console from them they try to bundle it with a bunch of other things., it is the best way for them to make the most money.

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't actually bought games from Gamestop for years. Last time I did was Smash on the 3DS. The only times I came back to Gamestop was for buying digital store credit for Steam and the Nintendo eShop and whatnot. And trade-ins? Forget about it.

D

Deleted User

They might make more off preowned sales if they made it worth going to them instead of ebay/amazon with your used games

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's amazing how a game store that was once great (at best) basically turns into a laughing stock of gaming. Sure, they may have what you need, but it's been a complete joke. I remember attempting to return a PS3 with like 10+ games and they would only give $7 because it didn't have a controller (mine was in bad shape), and even then they probably would've given me like $18 for it. I understand they have to make profits, but only offering that much for an entire console that has nothing wrong with it along with several games is fucking criminal. Same thing happened when I sold my 360 a few years ago, only offered like $21. Immediately went to our local gamestore and got so much more out of it. I'd take my game purchases there if the store didn't close down because the employees were douchebags. Not to mention they've seemed to have shifted way from gaming by selling phones and all other merch and shit, which isn't bad, but most of it is poorly designed (they used a damn image from DeviantArt for a shirt). I'll be sad if they do eventually go bankrupt, but I won't be surprised at all.

Is like you never heard of selling stuff online. Even if I don't buy a thing, I always check prices online nowadays.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Over here, they overcharge on newly released games (by about 22 USD) compared to other stores. They give barely anything for trade-ins and also overcharge on pre-owned games. So even if they get any trade-ins, its unlikely they sell anything unless its a rare game.. So there's almost no reason for me to shop at gamestop, cause I have found way cheaper pre-owned or brand new games in other stores and online...

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Release day delivery and prime in general is already a joke. Shipping takes three days sometimes, and there's sometimes 1-2 days of "processing." The worst part is when shipping takes more than two days, they'll sometimes go and alter the delivery estimate and shipped date to make it look like you're lying when you contact customer support. Not to mention, prime only guarantees shipping. Not processing time.

They may even just cancel the entire order and say that there isn't enough stock to fulfill it. :rofl2::rofl2:

Last edited by Thesolcity,

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Gamestop trades under the name of EB GAMES in Australia.

Probably top on my list of retailers that should die (but mysteriously haven't) is EB GAMES. The amount of times I have received used product from a website describing 'new' can only point to a BUSINESS AS USUAL 'don't care' policy.

Haven't made a purchase in a few years now, despite the fact that other retailers have either eliminated console sales and/or severely limited the games they sell. Physical copies are getting less and less customer atrention, unfortunately. Which only makes me treasure them more.

EB GAMES are usually an absolute rip-off, though their website baits you with super-low specials that you find out are all out-of-stock after you make your order.

Die EB GAMES. I still can't believe you are still trading.
Much like Toys R' Us in Australia, your death is well overdue.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamestop trades under the name of EB GAMES in Australia.

Probably top on my list of retailers that should die (but mysteriously haven't) is EB GAMES. The amount of times I have received used product from a website describing 'new' can only point to a BUSINESS AS USUAL 'don't care' policy.

Haven't made a purchase in a few years now, despite the fact that other retailers have either eliminated console sales and/or severely limited the games they sell. Physical copies are getting less and less customer atrention, unfortunately. Which only makes me treasure them more.

EB GAMES are usually an absolute rip-off, though their website baits you with super-low specials that you find out are all out-of-stock after you make your order.

Die EB GAMES. I still can't believe you are still trading.
Much like Toys R' Us in Australia, your death is well overdue.
Its EBGames in quebec as well
Idk why though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte