Gamestop's latest financial report shows a loss of $488.6 million

GameStop-1024x562.jpg

Video game retailer GameStop appears to be continuing its ongoing struggle, according to the company's latest financial report. The third quarter of the year brought in a loss of $488.6 million dollars, which in turn caused company stocks to plummet by 13%. Despite what could be considered a record year for the gaming industry, GameStop saw lower than expected sales for major releases, as well as weak performance for pre-owned purchases. Rob Lloyd, chief operating and financial officer, claimed that though Black Friday/Cyber Monday did well to increase sales performance, he has lowered investor expectations for the following holiday season, stating that software sales will not be very high, compared to hardware, likely resulting in further losses during an important season.

While our Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales were strong, we anticipate that our fourth quarter sales will skew more towards hardware than initially planned which, along with underperformance of certain titles, weakness in pre-owned and recent sales promotions, will result in fourth quarter earnings that are below our previous expectations,

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Despite what could be considered a record year for the gaming industry"

Record in amount of nothing that happened? Granted I don't think anything in games generally would be responsible for this (it is not like a few of the tentpole releases flopped and caused a bit of a depression) and anything we are seeing is more of a long term thing.

Reactions: gameboy

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's shitty, but it's basically fuck you over, or go bankrupt.

I'd say that's a pretty good sign that you have a broken business model. The issue is that Gamestop is in the same league as bookstores and rental places: there's lots of competition on their core market from online sellers. It's clear then that Gamestop should diversify into some other area that they can deliver on but online sellers can't. It's not uncommon now to see (a few) all-day-paid-pass arcade parlors. That alone would obviously not be enough as I don't think arcade parlors are enough to revitalize their market, but the point is that the solution is obviously to not double down on their worst behavior because it's precisely that which drives people to go online and avoid them, even if overall it costs more.

Oh, and to throw something else into the mix, there recently was videos about refurbished Gamestop PS3 and refurbished Gamestop XBox 360 which goes over reasons you might not want to buy from them. In both cases, it looks like either there wasn't enough care in the original refurb (and the water damage/corrosion spread as it sat a long time in the back) or a very refurb (trying to throw a fan in to fix things instead of trying to compensate for the (many) XBox 360 defects). One way or another, these sorts of things just further increase your lack of trust in their ability to do a good job.

Exannor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rarely buy games from them anymore, might have to go back to pick up a copy of pkmn HG/SS for my old pokewalker, but the only times that I would usually go there would be for the code events in ultra sun

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...Why do I have the urge to laugh at this? I don't have a GameStop from where I'm from but I've only heard terrible things about GameStop.

imagine selling a new game to them for 40 bucks, only for them to sell it back to someone else for 60-70 bucks.
thats what gamestops do.

buy used games for very little money, then sell them for 30-40% the price they purchased from. gamestop near me didn't even give you cash, they gave in-store credit lmao

Jimbo_Slim

Pun Master/Loser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I go to GamesPlus. A small store next to Office Depot where they have everything, from NES and Genesis to the Switch and PS4. Good deals too.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought Assassins Creed Odyssey there on black friday because they had the cheapest price ($27) but it's only like maybe the 3rd time I've been in a Gamestop in over a decade. I was out on them when they started selling used games as new, lettting their employees taking the games home and play them yet still selling them like new and not to mention sometimes the "new" games would come with a generic gamestop cover LOL. I can't say I'm sad or surprised they're losing money.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This really doesn't have anything to do with Gamestop itself really. The world is going digital. It's 100x easier to just fire up the XBL or PSN store and buy a game and be downloading it seconds later. All physical game stores are these days are inconvenient digital downloads because you still end up having to download the entire game, the disc just being a temporary access key.

You can only survive for so long preying on the laziness of people who think they can just trade in a game with no effort and get some cash for it.

Most of the hate Gamestop gets is just because people are too stupid to understand that trading in a game is not the same as selling it. Gamestop doesn't buy your used games. They give you a piece of the value for the ability to then turn and sell that game. It requires manpower to receive, and then sell that game. Not to mention it requires store space. People expect it to be like selling it on ebay or something and retaining all of the profits, but it could never be like that because your stupid ass took the easier, lazier route and got less cash for it. Simple.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No GameStops here in England, but this is bad news for us gamers, we’re moving towards fixed price digital hell.

Fight back and make it known you’re against digital games otherwise the future of gaming is even worse than its become

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This really doesn't have anything to do with Gamestop itself really. The world is going digital. It's 100x easier to just fire up the XBL or PSN store and buy a game and be downloading it seconds later. All physical game stores are these days are inconvenient digital downloads because you still end up having to download the entire game, the disc just being a temporary access key.

You can only survive for so long preying on the laziness of people who think they can just trade in a game with no effort and get some cash for it.

Most of the hate Gamestop gets is just because people are too stupid to understand that trading in a game is not the same as selling it. Gamestop doesn't buy your used games. They give you a piece of the value for the ability to then turn and sell that game. It requires manpower to receive, and then sell that game. Not to mention it requires store space. People expect it to be like selling it on ebay or something and retaining all of the profits, but it could never be like that because your stupid ass took the easier, lazier route and got less cash for it. Simple.

i disagree, many other stores sell cheaper than gamestop (amazon, walmart, bestbuy) and do shipping. Gamestop hasnt adapted to competition.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do still sometimes shop with GameStop, mainly for exclusives or random lower than everyone else sales which are both rare occurences. They had God of War for $17 on Black Friday for instance.

I may end up buying from them more frequently once my Best Buy GCU membership expires next year... if GameStop is still in business by then that is.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.