1. 4,122

Front-page
    zD44OtQ.png

Here we go again. GameStop has had a wild ride of a year, with the struggling retail chain finding itself in the midst of a war between Reddit and billionaire hedge funds. January's stock battle saw GME shares spark up at the end of January, going over hundreds of dollars more than what they'd been throughout December. Once all of that commotion had died down, GameStop's CFO and executive vice president, Jim Bell, announced that he would be stepping down from his positions and leaving the company later next month on March 26th. Bell didn't specify a reason for his departure, but a press release from GameStop has them thanking him for his leadership over his two-year tenure.

Curiously, while the split appears to be amicable, Business Insider alleges that Bell was "pushed" out of the company, due to board member Ryan Cohen wanting someone for the role who had future plans for the company that aligned with his own.

Meanwhile, as GameStop looks for a replacement to fill the role of CFO, the GME stocks began to tell a very familiar tale. Just as they did in January, shares rose over 100% in a single market day, opening at $44.70, and eventually closing at $91.71. The after-hours market saw the stock gain even more traction, currently sitting at a little over $140 at the time of writing, a meteoric surge of over 200%.

:arrow: Source

Henx, James_, Meteor7 and 11 others like this.
  2. Discussion (30 replies)

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    Wow, looks like that guy was really bad for business :tpi:

James_, gamefan5, x65943 and 10 others like this.
  4. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Guess I shoulda got in at $50, yeesh. So volatile though. Millions have been made and lost. Think I'll just stick with AMC, hold to tha moon. Or at least to a 300% increase. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 24, 2021
    gamefan5, XAIXER, CallmeBerto and 2 others like this.
  5. DKB

DKB S̵̜͎̺̔̊l̷̠̈́͗̾̏͠e̴̲͇͐e̸̹̬̔p̵̧̙̺̦̾̉.̶͚̇̎̄

United States
    I bought at 90 and lost 150 for a long ass time, then sold at 150. I don't give a damn if they raise at this point, I made some cash and I'm happy. I don't want to be greedy.

weatMod, MarkDarkness, James_ and 3 others like this.
  6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I bought £50 of amc just before it started to go up, and just out another £100 which should get taken first thing in the morning. I don't expect massive gains, but a little extra is always nice :-)

MarkDarkness, Scott_pilgrim and Xzi like this.
  7. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    As WSB says...buy in a dip!

...What they don't mention is that it might dip even further than the initial fall. :unsure:

Hindsight is 20/20.

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    Meanwhile, those in from the start are probably on a tropical resort right now!

9. Xzi

United States
    Realistically I can see it going up to $21 or $22 a share (from $5ish previously) by fall/winter when theaters are close to 100% capacity allowance again. That's where their competitors sit now because they have so many locations outside of the US. At first everybody was probably cool with watching movies at home, but over a year later I'm betting a lot of people are missing the theater experience (and hanging out with friends/family in general).

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  10. JustJay

JustJay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I could step in I have tons of experience. Been playing vidya games since the 80's!

Scott_pilgrim and Xzi like this.
  11. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    I dunno, there's something nice about not having to rush to a theater and instead watch a movie from the comfort of my own house, without annoying people and kids and overpriced popcorn.

That being said, I did go check out a movie theater near me because they remodeled and were showing the My Hero Academia movie (in late 2019...ouch for those profits they expected...) and it was actually really fun, luxurious recliners, fresh tacos and pizzas, etc. I don't miss it, but it's fun every once in a blue moon.

Scott_pilgrim and Xzi like this.
  12. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Nyan-binary

United States
    TO THE MOOOONNNNN

Chary and Xzi like this.
  13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    can't keep Reggie down. he's like the American Iwata. everyone loves him. :P

14. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    probably in hiding due to the fact they maybe sued or worse for manipulating the market

Silent_Gunner and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  15. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    With my "luck", bet if I got any GS stock, they'd prolly plummet down into oblivion regarding the value and bankrupt them, eh

16. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The Lone Wanderer

United States
    stonks only go up!!!

Henx, Xzi and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  17. Xzi

United States
    The only people who were attempting to manipulate the market are the hedge funds who were shorting GME. They over-committed and caused a short squeeze. Nobody did anything wrong by buying or selling long-position (standard) stock in the midst of all that, and certainly no individual casual investor has the power to actually manipulate the market.

18. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    Some people's objectives are not those to mantain a company up and floating, but to sink them as fast as they can.

Others, just don't have a f'ing idea of what business are about, some others are on such roles just by heritance.

GME was sinking... fast... and the captain was not interested on it, I'm sure he wouldn't know what to do now that GME's shares are rising, he would sink anyway.

19. CPG

CPG haggis!

Canada
    guess they want to keep the dream alive? gurantee this will happen again in about a month

20. HitchensRIP

HitchensRIP GBAtemp Regular

Malta
    Diamond Handed my babies down to -75%

Do not regret a second of it

Up 50% in the time it took me to go take a poop. I shit you not

Xzi likes this.
  21. SG854

SG854 I Will Show You Paradise

Comoros
    People screaming at the screen is the best part of going to the movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - GameStops, resigned, stocks