GameStop will be raising its Pro membership costs and phasing out its 10% off used games discount

GameStopFeature-640x353.jpg

There was once a time where GameStop was the place to get the latest games, when pre-orders were encouraged, and trading in your completed games was common. These days, GameStop has been struggling, attempting to adapt to a changing market too slowly, and drastically bleeding money each year because of it. Talks of buyouts from other companies and potential bankruptcy and debt have floated around amidst declining stocks and sales for the past two years. These factors have likely resulted in a new change being made to stores across the United States.

Consumers that have shopped at GameStop in the past will likely be aware of their Power Up Rewards Pro program, which lets consumers pay $14.99 a year in order to receive higher trade-in value for their games, a subscription to a gaming magazine, and other minor perks. The most beloved part of their modern Power Up Rewards Pro service is the ability to take an extra 10% off any and all used games, but soon, that won't be around anymore. GameStop is making changes to the subscription, which will see a slight price increase from $14.99 to $19.99, and the phasing out of the 10% discount in favor of a new $5 monthly certificate. This coupon will be usable once a month, and will be applicable to more than just used products, though it's far more situational and isn't a constant perk, like how the 10% off coupon was. GameStop's new changes will roll out soon to various stores in order to test the waters, with all stores expected to make the change.

Time will tell how this change will affect GameStop's dwindling consumer base, for the better or the worse. Things are looking bleak, and it might not be long before GameStop joins Toys 'R Us in bankruptcy.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I quit renewing when they killed their elite membership. It's a waste. Now it's just a waste of money. To be honest? I only went in there once this past year to buy Amazon cards... :o

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:

I did use it to get cheaper games and get physical books, but now look at it. Glad I stop renewing a long time ago.

I like how the first month is just you getting your $5 back. If you are not buying games every month, the discounts are wasted. So pointless.

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do they even sell at Gamestop? I can't tell if they're a game store or a pawn shop...
They sell shitty service and shilling to AAA companies.

No seriously, you go in there to pay for a game and you have to listen to people that don't know anything about games/gaming accessories for the most part telling you to get/pre-order the latest Call of Duty or other big name title at the time.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At most, you can get $40.01 in discounts (which you can't use at once), if you subtract the sub price. Even less, if taxes apply to this. I don't remember.
They sell dreams and hope. But they are a bit too expensive.
Thanks for giving me a reason to post this. :P

Last edited by KingVamp,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There was once a time where GameStop was the place to get the latest games, when pre-orders were encouraged, and trading in your completed games was common. These days, GameStop has been struggling, attempting to adapt to a changing market too slowly, and drastically bleeding money each year because of it. Talks of buyouts from other companies and potential bankruptcy and debt have floated around amidst declining stocks and sales for the past two years. These factors have likely resulted in a new change being made to stores across the United States.

Consumers that have shopped at GameStop in the past will likely be aware of their Power Up Rewards Pro program, which lets consumers pay $14.99 a year in order to receive higher trade-in value for their games, a subscription to a gaming magazine, and other minor perks. The most beloved part of their modern Power Up Rewards Pro service is the ability to take an extra 10% off any and all used games, but soon, that won't be around anymore. GameStop is making changes to the subscription, which will see a slight price increase from $14.99 to $19.99, and the phasing out of the 10% discount in favor of a new $5 monthly certificate. This coupon will be usable once a month, and will be applicable to more than just used products, though it's far more situational and isn't a constant perk, like how the 10% off coupon was. GameStop's new changes will roll out soon to various stores in order to test the waters, with all stores expected to make the change.

Time will tell how this change will affect GameStop's dwindling consumer base, for the better or the worse. Things are looking bleak, and it might not be long before GameStop joins Toys 'R Us in bankruptcy.

:arrow: Source
This seems silly.... The thing that makes me sad is that this will lead to an online only marketplace, which is not bad, but that will lead to games requiring you to be always online, including single player games, and their justification will be, since you have to be online to buy the game, you have internet anyway.

Sayora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't want to renew after my Elite Pro membership expired because I don't go as often anymore.
Definitely not renewing now. Better use my points on something before they go bankrupt.

Reactions: CoolStarDood

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.