GameStop will be raising its Pro membership costs and phasing out its 10% off used games discount

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 22, 2019.

1. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
  2. darcangel

darcangel Lovely Troll

Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    didn't you have a pic from this decade to use?

3. djnate27

djnate27 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Gamestop had a good run. Selling used games at close to new prices and making a profit when the game makers only profit off of the initial sale. Brilliant, I say. Brilliant!

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If the makers cared for making profits on further sales they would have offered the service themselves or invested in a service that did it.

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  5. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    what the fuck, i just renewed my pro on monday.

6. pyrotechnicmonkey

pyrotechnicmonkey Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    United States
    I love how a thirty percent increase in price is considered slight. LOL

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Whew, dodged that bullet, glad I haven't shopped there in almost a year.

8. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Does the $5 a month stack up? If I wait six months to come in, do I have $30 to spend? like wha?

9. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    ain't no way they gonna let you stack and get a free game (12x$5) at the end of the year. fuck no they don't stack.

10. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    I mean I figured as much but gotta ask I guess.

11. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Hiking used game price. Booty trade in value. Now even 10% discount to trick the paid member to renew is butchered.

GameStop is only good for collection purpose: exclusive, limited edition.

Wouldn't miss if GameStop going out of business.

Last edited by tivu100, May 23, 2019
  12. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    The issue is not $5. The underlying point is the raise while cutting features on already overpriced used games. 10% discount of these overpriced games adding up over time!

GameStop is your used store (booty trade in value) + reward program:. While used store sounds worse than GameStop, you have to understand it encouraging trading between gamer = more fair value. The way GameStop is, it tricks some people into selling their gaming stuff to them for reward promise! In return it hikes the shite out of everything. If you don't have plan to spend so much time on a game, wait a bit for sale in other retailers. Same game, New is like 30% cheaper than GameStop used game of newer title (mostly close to new retail price).

GameStop customer service when it comes to new stuff stinks. You would go to hell if you ever get a defective new gaming stuffs. Clerks and managers are trained to spin the blame on customer refuse exchange/ return, to force a trade in of mint console!!!

A weirdly enough, there is GameStop fanboyism even how little going on in gaming community. As I pointed out, it discouraging trading = everyone lose. Jerks would go out to make offer based on GameStop trade in value when you try to look for a fair trade.

Last edited by tivu100, May 23, 2019
  13. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Their 10% discount for used game is not as good as 20% pre order from Amazon especially now that Amazon Pick Up is rolling out in major metros. Over the years you can stack up gift card discount for Amazon to add more saving to bring the price down.

14. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Yowch.. that sucks, Pro was always worth it, even though I never bothered subscribing. It's sad, Gamestop is soooo much cheaper than pretty much everywhere. No surprise the model is finally failing...

15. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    as someone who goes to eb games who's parent organization is gamestop, all the rewards system here are done by spending money in store or trading stuff. I'm at level 4 myself, but there is a mysterious level 5

16. spiderman1216

spiderman1216 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Canada
    I don't really use Gamestop anymore now that I'm mainly a PC Gamer I have a switch but I buy the games digitally. The Switch will likely be my last console Sony and MS are going to streaming in the future likely with Microsoft and their Xbox Scarlett Games possibly being able to run natively on Windows 10 PCs in the future considering Microsoft's bid to unify Windows and Xbox completely and just have Xbox be a brand not a console wouldn't surprise me. These are just reasons why I don't bother with Gamestop anymore.

With Streaming and all digital likely being the future for most people GameStop must be really scared

17. jonesman99

jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    A Star Called Metropolis
    I didn’t even know they offered that discount with the membership RIP