GameStop will be raising its Pro membership costs and phasing out its 10% off used games discount

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 22, 2019.

1. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Wrong! They do not buy new stuff from consumers ;)

2. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    B-but you get a "free" 12 month subscription to Game Informer with the pro membership!

3. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp's Official NAND multipurpose tool.

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    GhostLatte's van
    Never had a subscription at GameStop but even if I had one, this raise in the subscription fee doesn't faze me at all. It just five more dollars at it dammi. why does everyone have to be so cheap.

4. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    [​IMG]

RedBlueGreen and guily6669 like this.
  5. Mcall

Mcall Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2018
    United States
    I used game stop a lot when I was building up my vita collection. Their elite pro membership was a good deal for me.

Besides the fact that there often isn't a good rotation of vita games there anymore, they got rid of that tier of membership. I'm just buying off ebay now instead because of that along with the fact that I can see if the game has cover art.

If they would just add something like a cover-art promise when ordering online for members I would definitely renew my membership but they keep doing stuff like this and degrading in quality.

Guess I know where I'm not going when I'm trying to build up my switch collection.

Also maybe give us a discount on the membership if we don't want game informer? Even if its just 5$ to bring it back to the old price.

Last edited by Mcall, May 22, 2019
  6. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    You know where I'm getting at. And if they did, I'm sure my statement would be accurate anyway. lol

Ryccardo likes this.
  7. lordrand11

lordrand11 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    Talladega, AL
    I'd say more they're killing themselves by trying to maximize their revenue in the most mundane of places. Just because you have a couple million subscribers to your store based program doesn't mean they will not opt out of renewal due to higher prices.

8. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Bye bye GameStop. Just please go and be gone. We don't need you anymore. Those people needs to stop buying it from GameStop so GameStop will be out of business immediately.

9. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    If gamestop does do away with the 10% off on preonwned games then I'm not going to use their pro membership any more because there's no point.

10. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    It's about time, that's why i have been collecting all my old games. I never traded then in before because i knew game stop was practically giving them away with that 10% off card. Now that it's gone i can cash in.

Plus another good thing about removing the discount is that it no longer intrinsically cheapens the game. I stopped playing once joe down the street got it for stupid cheap. Now i can feel more worth in my game knowing it is now slightly more expensive used and such

11. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    "Gamestop powered by Evanescence because we're going under"

12. Davidchao23

Davidchao23 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    United States
    "I also have this Skylanders game, how much will I get now with the Xbox trade in?"

Gamestop: $1.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am still confused at this "trade ins are ripoffs" thing. If you take the easy convenient route with a pawn shop then you are going to get less than if you sold it yourself.

I will not miss gamestop at all when they are gone (even 15 years back when the internet was still picking up speed there were plenty of places willing to sell me games and gaming accessories in meatspace, second hand as well) and from what I have seen of a lot of their practices they are arseholes but the low quotes when trading in thing seemed like standard business practice.

14. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp's Personal Computer Wiz

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    GameStop was never rude to me...i'm gonna miss GameStop...digital-only game marketplaces will never catch on. Physical games will still be sold.

15. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Come on I need at least 2.5$;
    How does 0.5$ sounds like?
    Ok I accept 2$;
    Follow Chumley he will register the order for you!.

:toot:

Last edited by guily6669, May 22, 2019
  16. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    A big problem with the used articles market is that the shops inbetween have to pay taxes for the used items they sell. Private sales don't need to pay taxes. In addition to that they have to pay the store etc.

17. DoKM91AS

DoKM91AS Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2018
    Netherlands
    They went 5 dollars more expensive and removed the 10% discount just to give you a 5 dollar certificate? so you're paying 5 dollars more to get 5 dollars off

JustANoob;) likes this.
  18. jamezfat

jamezfat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Mom's basement
    uuf

19. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    serves them right for hoarding the cubic ninjas!

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  20. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp's Personal Computer Wiz

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    ?