GameStop will be raising its Pro membership costs and phasing out its 10% off used games discount

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 22, 2019.

1. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Sadly, even some people here would probably agree to that.

"64K 240fps cloud gaming is the future, man!"

2. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    You guys say this ain't good but well I wish there was something like that gamestop here... Because here there barely is a used market and you pay almost the full price of a new game for a used one so, all digital, I never buy a physical game for many time. Though I bought Zelda for the Switch but I ended up selling it to a friend a few months ago for like 35€ and only have used the card for like 20 hours, not a single scratch, but on a used store they would probably only give like 20€ or less and then maybe sell it for like 50€ LOL... And there are no rewards...

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Why would you switch from a constant incentive to a monthly incentive? I usually just stick to the "90% off" sales they have sometimes on merchandise, as well as the free posters and "please get it out of here" games, but it might work for me if I can use it on new physical releases. but even then...

Deleted_413010 and CoolStarDood like this.
  4. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere It just works

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Why did i get so many likes for a shit joke?

tivu100, CoolStarDood and xs4all like this.
  5. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    Huh. Going to have to keep an eye out for their going out of business sale.

Deleted_413010, DarthDub and Xzi like this.
  6. sonicvssilver22

sonicvssilver22 •Sever the skyline•

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Pherae
    As a former employee, I have the following to say in response:

PFFFFFFFT HAHAHAHA :rofl2:

But for real, I’ve seen them circling the drain for a while now. They focused WAY too much on the physical merchandise (most of which was overpriced) and other miscellaneous things when they should’ve focused on the games.

Deleted_413010 and Xzi like this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Their used game prices with the discount were actually pretty decent. If I can get a game I really want close to release day at $40, I'll usually bite. Sounds like there won't be anywhere that's possible for physical games now.

8. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    So true. Bought a brand new copy of Fire Emblem Warriors the day it was released. REturned it in less than 7 days, got less than a 4th of what I paid for new. And of course they sell used for more. I stopped buying from them since that day.

9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Is as if they're TRYING to shoot people away... Lowering the cost and giving a bigger discount (15%-20%) is a much better incentive to get more people in the door and spending.

Deleted_413010 likes this.
  10. skullkeeper94

skullkeeper94 Professional USB Corrupter

Jun 21, 2016
    United States
    Noooo, GameStop is such a nice place to walk into and be surrounded by introverts who want to be in and out before you can walk past them. Gonna miss this feel, along with purchasing a new title and getting the cards, physical copies, etc.

Sad :cry:

Redhorse likes this.
  11. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    This is actually only in test markets right now. Not everything GameStop tests is streamlined. There is also a chance the existing program may stay alongside this new one that is geared towards consumers who mainly purchase new titles.

Either way, this is not company wide yet and not set to be company wide yet.

osaka35 likes this.
  12. The_Provider

The_Provider Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2016
    United States
    I recently discovered that my local buy/sell/trade game shop was using GameStops trade-in rates for people selling stuff to them, so I'd be really glad if they went under real soon so I can get actual good trades with rates that's not from a dying company that's currently trying to squeeze for money.

I don't think the dude at the counter who told me they reflect GameStops rates was supposed to say this.

CoolStarDood likes this.
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't know if this is normal, but over here you level up your membership by buying stuff, trading in stuff, etc. Over time you get points and once you reach a certain amount your level goes up. I'm level 3 which is where they start sending you the magazine (with the highest being 4) IIRC and I do get extra trade in value, not that I bother trading in anything these days. It's only sort of worth it for brand new games because that's the only way you'll get anywhere near what it's worth, but even then if you're willing to spend the extra effort selling it online you'll get more.

You do have the option of paying to reach level 3 immedatiately though, and they'll bug you to do so sometimes. My brother was tricked by it and ended up paying. Wasn't too much money, but still sleazy of them.

CoolStarDood likes this.
  14. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    upload_2019-5-21_22-21-22.

The one thing that'd make it worth it over 10%-off-physical-used-games. But no! That'd be too good.

Hope this doesn't roll out too soon. I just bought my membership.

15. MikeHawke

MikeHawke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    I once tried to purchase three Monster Hunter 4 copies for the 3ds so that I can play with me and my bros, and they refused to sell me more than one copy, saying that they think I'm a scalper. On my way to another game-stop 45 mins away to get the other 2 copies, I called a local owned game-store and asked if they had three copies of the game. They told me they did and set it aside for me. I later went to return the game I had purchased from the SAME game-stop several hours earlier, and despite STILL having the plastic covering intact, my receipt, and the debit card that I bought the game with, they said they needed my ID to return the game, even though I didn't need ID to purchase it. I opened my wallet and held it for a second or two, contemplating whether or not I should give this guy my licence, or just return it at another game-stop, and the guy reaches in my wallet and takes out my driver's licence. I legit considered knocking him out.

So yeah, Kinda glad to hear that they're going under, tbh. I never liked their business practices or their generally shitty costumer service. F*** Gamestop

Last edited by MikeHawke, May 22, 2019
    CoolStarDood likes this.
  16. ROMANREIGNS599

ROMANREIGNS599 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2017
    United States
    Victory has defeated you my friend...

17. MikeHawke

MikeHawke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    >Bought hundreds of dollars worth of refurbished items from Gamestop for family for christmas
    >only two purchased items work
    >gamestop refuses to refund my money, offers instore credit instead.
    >Doesn't like company's business practices
    >Is shittier person for taking solace in said company going under.

Lol, the inernet is a heluva place.

Last edited by MikeHawke, May 22, 2019
    CoolStarDood likes this.
  18. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    You reap what you sow...

Someone said it before: overing anything between 2 - 8€ for a game they themselve sell used for 30+€...

I only went there in the early years cause i knew someone working there, always giving me an extra 20-30% when selling or buying and always giving me tradein discount despite me taking cash instead of other games.

CoolStarDood likes this.
  19. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Actually, GameStop will be like “we can’t take sealed or unopened items” you proceed with opening up the Xbox One X in front of the GameStop employee who then offers 2$ for it as it is “used”

tivu100, MikeHawke and CoolStarDood like this.
  20. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    No they're killing themselves by doing dumb shit. My local used game store gives about 50-60% of what they sell stuff for, so if they sell a 3DS for $100 they'll give you something like $60. It's been a long time since I've traded anything in, but EB Games usually gave me an okay price. But if all of these low balling memes are true, it's that and their scummy business practices like adding disc protection to your purchase and cancelling pre-orders without notice that's killing the business.

tivu100, MikeHawke and CoolStarDood like this.