FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steam%20cards.jpg

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Valve on this new initiative,” said Steve Nix, GameStop’s GM of Digital Distribution. “This gives even more options to customers now that they can put money in their Steam Wallet using cash, gift cards or trade credits through our convenient neighborhood locations.”

As of today, Steam and Gamestop have formed an unlikely partnership to sell monetary cards for the online game selling giant, possibly giving Gamestop a bit of cut into Steam's sales. This gives people another option to buy games online, as not everyone has access to things like Paypal, a credit or debit cards, or other online-based transactions. Looks like Valve is just going to get even more publicity with this. Game Giant indeed.

:arrow: More information: Steam Wall comes to Gamestop stores

My only qualm about this is that it is Gamestop we're talking about. A lot of people already boycott Gamestop as it is for some of their stores' bad habits or practices. I think this would turn out better for Valve if they were able to get other stores to do this as well. That said, you'll be able to sell games directly toward a Steam purchase now, though Gamestop probably gets a small cut of it.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Waste of plastic, paper, ink ect. Companies need to stop with this type of thing. More waste to the land fills.
Not necessarily. Some people prefer to buy these types of things as apposed to putting their credit cards online. I like to buy 12-month live cards for my xbox rather than purchasing it through the xbox itself. Makes life easier imo.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finally -_- every Christmas I have to beg to get steam cash. This should make things waaaay easier for everyone that doesn't want to use a credit card or debit card on there

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And Steams sales will jump significantly once again.

All hail our, soon to be, overlords. Once they amass 90% of all the worlds wealth, anyway. It'll happen.

Reactions: 2 people

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

All hail our, soon to be, overlords. Once they amass 90% of all the worlds wealth, anyway. It'll happen.
It's indeed amazing. I've just spent 5 dollars on the -75% Company of Heroes Bundle. Amazing deal, for amazing games. That are prices you won't ever see in GameStop, just wow.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's indeed amazing. I've just spent 5 dollars on the -75% Company of Heroes Bundle. Amazing deal, for amazing games. That are prices you won't ever see in GameStop, just wow.

Stuff like this is part of why I'm amazed Gamestop is doing this.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A part of $20/$50 is better than $0 out of them. That's quite a motivator.

Actually going digital seems to be the best bet for PC gaming.. Consoles have it bad since they have a limited storage capability since HDD loading isn't possible with original firmware (yet at least). Thus completely digital distribution is more limited and discs/external media formats are more worth it compared to the PC equivalent. All that the PC would miss is all the paper stuff like manuals, extras like models, toys, etc and the disc itself of course :)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not like Gamestop sells any PC games honestly, Steam has basically monopolized the market. I mean their number two competitor is Origin, which is only afloat because EA doesn't sell their shit on Steam anymore. Steam still has about 70% of the PC gaming market though.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not like Gamestop sells any PC games honestly, Steam has basically monopolized the market. I mean their number two competitor is Origin, which is only afloat because EA doesn't sell their shit on Steam anymore. Steam still has about 70% of the PC gaming market though.

No, no, not what I meant. I mean giving more than the normal credit, unless I read the article wrong, if you sell a game towards that. Going to have a huge influx of games without people buying.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waste of plastic, paper, ink ect. Companies need to stop with this type of thing. More waste to the land fills.
Not necessarily. Some people prefer to buy these types of things as apposed to putting their credit cards online. I like to buy 12-month live cards for my xbox rather than purchasing it through the xbox itself. Makes like easier imo.
Also some people buy cards for lower then retail. I know saving 20 dollars on a 12 month card isn't a lot but some people are frugal. Really wish PSN cards go on sale more often though.
I doubt steam cards will go on sale ever but they might.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wouldnt imagine you would get steam cards on sale, but you might find offers of buy x amount get a steam card free

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Not sure if this is the deal for US but buying any type of digital content from GAME/Station, you get a receipt with the code on, not the actual card.

EDIT: And have you heard of recycling? It's pretty cool, you should look it up.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the deal for US but buying any type of digital content from GAME/Station, you get a receipt with the code on, not the actual card.

EDIT: And have you heard of recycling? It's pretty cool, you should look it up.
Over here in America Land, we get a card with a receipt.
But yeah, recycling isn't a hard thing to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉