GameStop no longer accepting Xboxes after Feb. 09?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
custom_1231114334969_noxbox_01.jpg

"We got tipped by an anonymous Gamestop employee that the chain won't accept original Xbox games, consoles and accessories as of Feb. 9. Looks like this is officially it for the console.

Says our tipster:

QUOTE said:
"The Marketing kit for this coming Sunday has a sign that says Gamestop will no longer be accepting Xbox games, systems and accessories as of Feb 9th. Finally, corporate has realized this, after selling an incredibly low number of systems and games. My store probably sells one Xbox a month or so."

Is it just me, or is this now a milestone for original X's demise? I'm guessing they'll sell or bury the rest of their original Xbox stock over time. But when your console's no longer currency at Gamestop, the party is over, my friend."

Source

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
It's odd, the Wii and PS3 are known for their backwards compatibility, yet nobody cares about the Xbox's old library so much.

Yea but they do put some of there games on the marketplace.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
RupeeClock said:
It's odd, the Wii and PS3 are known for their backwards compatibility, yet nobody cares about the Xbox's old library so much.
well thats because the 360 has excellent backwards compatibility?
only a few select games still arent supported (MGS2 Substance
cry.gif
)

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:

While thats true, the xbox backwards compatibility is mediocre at best. Also, you need to download patches for original xbox games to run. While that's an automatic process (by putting the game into the 360 and downloading the patch) its not available for every game, and if i read correctly (sometime w/in the past few months) i thought they were dropping their patch-making team for original xbox games. I could be wrong there, but that's info i thought came out at one point.

Soooo, i think it makes sense.

Also, i can't wait for a fire sale to go on for original xbox's. I'd love to get my mits on one, and soft mod that beast, but i have no real need as of now... for the price of the old system, and because i have no REAL need for it
tongue.gif

(i wanna play Super Mario Bros on something else in my house! i'm up to 5, that are currently usable, and i want a 6th! ...i mean, i could hook the DC up and the Snes, but thats just frivolous >_>)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the big game shops here will only take PS2 from the last gen, even my local Gamestation who have usually been pretty good for having old consoles will only take PS2 and GBA as well as current gen now.

Sad indeed.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
*snort* Shame the newer systems aren't BC at all...=P

Not really too affected by this. Maybe if there's an OMG closeout sale or something and systems go for $20, but even then I doubt I'm gonna really make use of this news.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what? It's not like you can buy any new games, so you might as well use the almighty internet.

I still enjoy my Xbox, although it's primarely for movies.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doomsday Forte said:
RupeeClock said:

Not really too affected by this. Maybe if there's an OMG closeout sale or something and systems go for $20, but even then I doubt I'm gonna really make use of this news.
Even is you buy a non-backwards PS3, PS2 is somehow still going strong.
Maybe it's because it's so fucking cheap and not a hassle to develop for.
unsure.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Doomsday Forte said:
RupeeClock said:

Even is you buy a non-backwards PS3, PS2 is somehow still going strong.
Maybe it's because it's so fucking cheap and not a hassle to develop for.
unsure.gif

It's probably because Persona 4 came out recently in America.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Almost all decent Xbox games came out on PC, and they're playable and easily piratable on any computer bought in the last 5 years. Not to mention, the Xbox's library probably wasn't the strongest of all last gen's. I reckon that might just be why.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Man it really is a shame. The 360 should have had backwards compatibility it really is a shame. In addition i felt that the xbox (not the 360) just didn't get the attention it needed (maybe one of Microsoft's stupid products, along with win. vista)

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
perhaps its the xbox's complete lack of decent exclusive titles, they are all ps2 or pc ports.

the only one i can think of is Steel Battalion, which is a great game, but quite niche (and rare). in fact its the only reason I own a xbo

on that topic, encase I ever loose my mind and buy a xb360, does its backwards compatibility work with Steel Battalion?

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww man, I still own the original Xbox way back from 2001. Still play it too. Haha.

Was thinking of trading it in, but since it's only $30 for a used one nowadays, and since Gamestop won't buy them back,

I guess I'll keep them for memories and rareness.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*echos the sentiments of the softmod crowd*

The wii looks set to take the crown at some stage (remote by default, inbuilt wireless, better USB support, SDHC and nominally more powerful) but there is life in XBMC yet.

If prices do fall much lower than I may well stock up on a few, they make good gifts after having felt my touch.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
on that topic, encase I ever loose my mind and buy a xb360, does its backwards compatibility work with Steel Battalion?

I didn't look it up, but my guess would be no, due to the special controller. You can't use any XB1 controllers on 360.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr