GameStop is planning on renovating some of its retail stores in hopes of staying relevant

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Gamestop tried the opposite on me where they wanted to sell me a "new" Luigis Mansion Dark Moon opened and said it was new. Was a few years ago

gameboy likes this.
  2. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    ...or...and hear me out, here. You could just use common business sense and give gamers a reason to actually buy from you. Your elite pro membership was great. Shame you stripped that.

3. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Is that what youth of today do... smoke weed and play games! Thank god I lived in a normal era when you went out to a club, went cinema and maybe through in a game of bowling now and again for excitement! That’s quite sad by the way.. get a life!

4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    GameStop need to go and be extinct forever. Really.

5. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Gamestop has been nothing but a bane to me growing up, especially when they merged with EB because back east, they had an effective monopoly on being able to get second-hand games, systems, et al. To put it in perspective, some communities that were near me had a hard ban on pawn shops, but thanks to a legal loophole, gamestop was able to exist there. So there would be four to eight Gamestop shops within a two mile radius, but the nearest pawn shop with video games would be more than twenty away. And as a kid without a credit card, there wasn't a thing i could do about it.

And what did i get for the trouble?
    Used copies of games sold as new.
    Defective consoles, nearly every time.
    Damaged disc games.

So yeah, i won't miss Gamestop in the least if they got Thanos'd out of existence.

Friendsxix likes this.
  6. npiet1

npiet1 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    Australia
    Just do what the Australian version does and sell all the gamer crap too.

7. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Really need to get rid of the murch and non gaming items, the one next to me still sell and buy cell phones and it takes up a big chunk of the wall that could be used for...hmmm idk game?!

8. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2018
    United States
    Does anyone else remember Funcoland? They had a massive list of games with standardized prices and a whole bunch of consoles set up playing different games and the staff would switch which game was playing with anything they had used. Staff were knowledgeable and friendly, and there was no pressure, but I almost always bought something cheap to help them out.

Then Gamestop bought them.

9. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE R.I.P GBATEMP :(

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    I got that snail internet so I hope GS is ok

10. djnate27

djnate27 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I remember when Funcoland only had a handful of stores, so we had to order games from their catalog.
    Ordering Baseball Stars for my NES and waiting over a week to receive it in the mail is something I will never forget.

Kraken_X and H1B1Esquire like this.
  11. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    We call this throwing good money after bad.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I haven't been inside a Gamestop store in months, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Ryccardo likes this.
  13. Roxasorg13

Roxasorg13 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Mexico
    I have never understood this Gamestop hate circlejerk.
    I mean if you think some games are expensive or that the amount they give you for your used games is low, then dont buy/sell them in gamestop. But people seems to critizice the store for every single thing they do, which is not fair.
    I always enjoy going there to waste some time (they have cool merch and gaming items) and there are lots of times when im able to grab some pretty good deals.

14. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I like the huge discounted goods, the promotional posters, and seeing what neat stuff is available for sale. Corporate seems to hate the employees, so they don't particularly like the company. There are a lot of things they can do to help prop themselves up, but with sony and microsoft trying to remove ownership from gamers, it's hard to be in the business of selling.

Actively trying to be a part of the community is honestly one of the best things they can do. That and treat their employees properly. It's something smaller stores try, and what they're trying to emulate. Provide a gamer-friendly space. I doubt it'll be successful, but it's not a dumb decision. they just don't have many good decisions left. Just hope it isn't a few kiosk to play games like there've always been in the past. Gamestop-local tournaments, promotional goodies, weekly events and the like. Make it the place to go to play with fellow nerds and it'll definitely help with folks coming in the door...though if that'll translate to sales, who knows.

Wonder how long before they have a backroom for folks playing magic the gathering :P

Last edited by osaka35, Jul 16, 2019
    calagan, DeoNaught and H1B1Esquire like this.
  15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Through no real fault of their own, I don't think Gamestop will last. It's possible but they definitely would have to change a lot.

It's actually pretty impressive they decided to fight against time instead of just accepting the inevitable. Things like Blockbuster really just crawled into a corner and died overnight.

You can already tell when you go in, they have tons of merchandise these days to supplement sales. Carrying more retro games is a very smart idea, it's one of the things that keeps smaller game stores alive.

JavaScribe likes this.
  16. Redhorse

Redhorse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    United States
    Between a Rock and a Hard Place for now
    First, they supported retro, then they bailed on it, now they're back to supporting it? They need to remain constant to one idea and follow it through, win, lose or draw. They need to stop lying to their customers for starters..., then limit selling to employees of limited items...

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It probably was new, just without the cellophane. Most game stores open one or more mint copies in order to produce controls, as well as display cases. Licensing-wise the game is "new" until it was sold to a customer, only games that were traded in are considered pre-owned, since they had a previous owner.

Sheimi and Ryccardo like this.
  18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, I didn't even know they stopped retro games, I knew they had them for a while. I mean, I've been tempted to collect retro games for a while, but now that I've had an SD2SNES for over a year *shrug* :P

19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    what they have to do is stop selling xbox games because no one buys them anymore :lol:

20. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    They're fairly priced. Although, you'll get a few titles, like SNES Batman and Robin for $75.00 and Earthbound for $199.99.

If Game$top can't get it together, they'll probably be an online retailer and just have warehouses that fulfill orders.

I have a better solution that would make more sense and money, but they aren't paying me.....so....:sad: