GameStop giving out 1,000 preorders this Saturday!

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by thorasgar, Feb 11, 2017.

1. thorasgar
    OP

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    How is that for clickbait?

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/proday

So go to Gamestop Saturday and you have a chance to be awarded a preorder! Sounds great!

So what are my chances of getting one of those slots, maybe if I buy something I will have a better chance.

http://news.gamestop.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=130125&p=irol-faq
    "GameStop has 6,614 stores in operation, of which 4,434 are located in the United States, 343 in Canada, 413 in Australia/New Zealand and 1,424 are in Europe. Our stores operate primarily under the names of GameStop and EB Games."

So each location will have less than a 1 in 6 chance of awarding ONE lucky customer the privledge of spending their money at GS on a Switch.

FUCK YOU GAMESTOP!!!!

Xzi likes this.
  2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    This really is one of the worst marketing moves I've ever seen. Why give pre-orders to people who actually want them? Better to just hand them out randomly and act surprised when people don't want to pay for a $300 console that they didn't necessarily come into a Gamestop to buy.

DrkBeam, thorasgar and osaka35 like this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Your click bait is not better than @Chary :creep:

4. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Apparently when pre-orders were happening day 1, the stores that had some left over pre-orders for that day had their pre-order allocation shifted to a more popular store. I'm guessing they were able to wrangle out 1,000 more from nintendo, and this was their solution to how to distribute them.

5. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea i got this email. I was wtf. A chance to spend your money.
    Not oh win a free system.
    Pretty crappy but i guess it shows how high deman the switch is and what people will do to try to sell them.

thorasgar likes this.
  6. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I think that deal is US-only. But I'll check my local EB Games when it opens anyways.

7. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Oh... I thought they were giving away free Nintendo Switch systems. :P

I think I'll try my luck with this and then resell it at RRP value so I can use the money back on Nintendo Switch games.

8. thorasgar
    OP

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    See that would be a real promotion and in the scheme of things a very cheap one at that.

$300,000 in product cost and less than $50 in cost PER STORE. That would guarantee a ton of foot traffic.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  9. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Plus, with the negative rep that GameStop has this would definitely make them receive a lot of praise for doing something good for the customers. GameStop's Circle of Life system forces its own employees to lie and overcharge their consumers who haven't given up on them.. yet.

Xzi and thorasgar like this.
  10. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    A filthy business here in Australia (EB Games) which continually sells second-hand products as new. Also, lists super-low prices for countless out-of-stock items (website says they're in stock). I wouldn't waste my time with them ever again. Don't know what they are like overseas.

thorasgar likes this.
  11. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Unfortunately Gamestop is my best bet for pre-ordering a pro controller, and my only option for pre-ordering Has-Been Heroes. On a positive note, however, at least I know these products will be new, and I'll only have to deal with them twice in-store. Amazon or Best Buy from there out if I need physical carts.

foob likes this.
  12. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    just as bad

Saiyan Lusitano and foob like this.