Gamespot's latest interview with Shuhei Yoshida

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The latest interview done by Gamespot is with Shuhei Yoshida (vice-president, product development, Sony Computer Entertainment America) during the pre-E3 show. Some NGP 'info' were spilled.

QUOTE said:
Sony's "next generation portable", or NGP as its been known since its announcement at a press conference in Japan, has been the object of much speculation since its January debut. GameSpot caught up with Sony Computer Entertainment America vice president, product development, Shuhei Yoshida at a pre-E3 press event to grill him about what we can expect from the new handheld, how 3G will figure into the package, what configurations the device will come in, support for legacy PSP titles, what the biggest hurdle is to the NGP’s success, and much more.

On 3G sets:
QUOTE said:
GS: In terms of unit types, there's been rumors and speculation about different configurations that include 3G. What can you tell us about what Sony is aiming for?

SY: Yeah, we are still working with the 3G carriers in each country. So our offering might, you know, be different by region or even by country. So we are still nailing the details. So we will be talking about that when we get ready.

On games:
QUOTE said:
GS: In terms of software, one of the biggest challenges the PSP had was that software releases were inconsistent after the strong launch. What has Sony learned from that, and how are you applying it to NGP?

SY: Yeah, absolutely. So that’s one of the biggest things we always talked about when we were approaching the design of NGP, you know, we were so excited about PSP with big screen and beautiful screen and in PS2-like graphics just as we are talking about PS3-like graphics on NGP.

Yeah, so there is a similarity there. But the bigger thing we learned about PSP was that people get accustomed to the graphic side of things pretty quickly. And once the standard is set, that’s something people expect from their games. So that will require constant evolution. So we have to keep up evolving and always, you know, provide a certain level of performance on the system.

But, you know, once the graphics appreciation has passed, it all comes down to the actual game play. And our biggest mistake, I would say, with PSP was we were just so happy to provide the PS2 gaming on the go, and we kind of stopped there. We had the Wi-Fi capability with PSP and in some of the countries, like in Japan, playing with other friends with Wi-Fi became a huge phenomena.

But outside that, there is very little that you are able to put on PSP. So what we wanted to do with NGP was, besides the great graphics and CPU, think on what interface we could put in to make the gameplay really stand out. You know, something that you cannot even do with the PS3. So the front and back touch pad, the dual analog sticks, social connectivities, and the camera AR.

All these you cannot replicate in the console experience. So we have to show what this means with our own games. But we are confident the NGP has enough of these elements that as we go, people will see the gaming experience on NGP will be unique enough. So that they would want to play NGP games in addition to what they have in the console. That’s the difference.

On connectivity with PS3:
QUOTEGS: So we're seeing today that there is the possibility of compatibility between the gaming experience on the NGP and the PS3. Is this a focus for the NGP?

SY: Absolutely yeah, that’s something we are very excited to be working on. For one thing, the core performance is very similar, much closer between PS3 and NGP compared to PSP and PS3. So some games can be made available for both PS3 and PSP. Like, we are showing, Wipeout today, how the online compatibility, when you play Wipeout online, your opponent might be coming from PS3 or NGP.

And that’s very exciting for us. And the other point too is, we can provide, through the PSN, because we expect most of the NGP users will have a PSN account, as compared to PSP. When we launched PSP, we didn’t have PSN yet.

So the connectivity would not be limited by connecting cables between PSP and PS3, with USB. But we can create connectivities through PSN and we can do some cool stuff that we are not talking about as yet, but we’ll be very happy to show pretty soon what you can do between PS3 and NGP.

On price:
GS: And looking at the market, what do you think about price?

SY: Pricing is important and the value is important as well. So we are looking at different options in terms of our offerings. So the right pricing could be different based on what we are going to offer. We are really taking it seriously in terms of setting the price.

SOURCE: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/6316890/sony...ftware-and-more

I have a really good feeling about this one...
tongue.gif

But there is a possibility that you need to pay for monthly 3G, just like the iPad 2...
unsure.gif

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Yeah, we are still working with the 3G carriers in each country.
Good luck with that. Mobile internet is not cheap, and lets see how this goes for them.

QUOTEWe are really taking it seriously in terms of setting the price.
OH YEAH! Over 9000!

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
NGP just looks better and better.
smile.gif
Might be a first day purchase from me if they keep this up!
biggrin.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm still worried about price and lack of variety.

Games now announced for the NGP all seem very hardcore and no RPGs so far.

Price wise I'm still worried. As Sony did claim in the past that the PS3 was 'affordable'

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
chris888222 said:
I'm still worried about price and lack of variety.

Games now announced for the NGP all seem very hardcore and no RPGs so far.

Price wise I'm still worried. As Sony did claim in the past that the PS3 was 'affordable'
well, he said they're working on it. we can hope but just not let our hopes set up too high.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
prowler_ said:
Tanveer said:
Good luck with that. Mobile internet is not cheap, and lets see how this goes for them.
It is cheap, just that mobile carriers over charge you.

Your flag says England so have a look over at giffgaff.
Well, you know generally speaking mobile internet is charged quite a lot. Take the iPad, Laptop offers for example.

I already have unlimited mobile internet with Three
smile.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Tanveer said:
prowler_ said:
Tanveer said:

Well, you know generally speaking mobile internet is charged quite a lot. Take the iPad, Laptop offers for example.

smile.gif
I have a feeling it'll be like:

SIGN OUR 3G SERVICE FOR NGP TODAY!!!

Plan: £10/month, 20 GB data...
Cost for 3G NGP: £129.99

Hope not.

Also I really hope NGP boosts in variety. If it's just going to stick with non-hardcores which you might get bored with very soon and super hardcore titles like wipeout and killzone altogether, then it is an extreme huge disappointment for me.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanveer said:
prowler_ said:
Tanveer said:

smile.gif
I'm on three as well, pay monthly contract, they give me 2GB of internet allowance and I swear I only use up like 100MB lol

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@chris888222
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. Special subscription required for NGP. That would be annoying and we will probably be charged more. BUT they could add extra features for 3G subscribers, like free Demos ahead in time
biggrin.gif
.(just an example)

@heartgold
I had 1GB, but changed to eat as much as you can data plan
smile.gif
. These days I use about 700MB-900MB.
Should probably change plan lol. When I was with my ex, we used to mail each other instead of texting and thats why the mobile internet was needed by me. 10k+ emails by her in my hotmail inbox
tongue.gif
. Too lazy to delete them lol.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There will be no way they will give you 20GB allowance, maybe 10GB but that's pushing it.
I can see PSN store downloads not counting towards the limit, only online multi player or something.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanveer said:
@heartgold
I had 1GB, but changed to eat as much as you can data plan
smile.gif
. These days I use about 700MB-900MB.
Should probably change plan lol. When I was with my ex, we used to mail each other instead of texting and thats why the mobile internet was needed by me. 10k+ emails by her in my hotmail inbox
tongue.gif
. Too lazy to delete them lol.

lol so were sending email via your phone?

Delete them! When we broke up my ex logged into my account and deleted all of her messages and pics she sent me lol crazy bitch

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
prowler_ said:
There will be no way they will give you 20GB allowance, maybe 10GB but that's pushing it.
I can see PSN store downloads not counting towards the limit, only online multi player or something.
Haha, I'm just exaggerating it.

Even on my iPhone which is considered to require lots of data, I'm only given a 12GB allowance.

I bet NGP will have more variety in data plans... Maybe offering 1GB, 5GB, 10GB or unlimited. Then price the NGP accordingly (yup it's still going to cost a bomb)

HMMPH! NGP is turning more into a phone!
ohmy.gif

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
To clear up my understanding, can you use one game for psn for NGP ans PS3 or do you have to buy it
twice for tranfaring?
laugh.gif

The details aren't worked out yet for transfarring. The Japanese release of Peace Walker HD comes with a free download code for Peace Walker PSP. But it is unknown if this applies to all Transfarring games.

Either way, you'd still need two copies of the game to work.

QUOTEThe Transfarring feature will initially work between PlayStation 3 and PSP in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD (being released individually in Japan and as part of a bundle with MGS2 and MGS3 elsewhere). The PS3 version will "Transfar" with the PSP version, either your current copy or the copy that you've downloaded using the free download code Konami is including with the PS3 version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs