Gaming Gamespot gives MP3 an 8.5

Jhongerkong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, GS was and has been shit to me for a while so im not surprised that they would do this. Comment away.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
They were hardest on Bioshock, as well.
Bioshock is not a revolution, it's a basic FPS. I know it's not the subject of the thread, but I don't know why everybody loves this game
blink.gif

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bioshock is not a revolution, it's a basic FPS. I know it's not the subject of the thread, but I don't know why everybody loves this game
blink.gif
I will kindly agree with you that it's not a revolution. I guess I'm easy to please. That and Tetris (the music in the original makes me want to get vodka-drunk). The story captivated me, just like System Shock 2 or HL 1, 2. I would kindly play all of those games again. I kind of see that MP3 is a basic FPS, too. But it has it's own unique qualities and a good enough story for me to do the same shit all over again. I would kinda kindly play MP3 if I had a Wii...
cry.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't have a Wii, and I didn't played the game. IGN review says its the best controls for a FPS ever! Since Nintendo made it, the controls should be really good, Nintendo always knows how to use the controls they design.
GS never gives high scores to games.. so a 8.5 means that the game must be really good!

As for the Super Metroid review.. I noticed that they made a Metroid review and gave it a 5.5.. reviewing a 20 years old game and give a bad score because the game is "obsolete" is stupid! I really don't see a reason to review the Virtual Console games..

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, GS was and has been shit to me for a while so im not surprised that they would do this. Comment away.

So, their opinion didn't match your's? Just move on, or are you in with the crowd that made 1UP make a retraction because they gave a bad review? Why not just enjoy the game if you really enjoy the game? Also, I'm trying to see why people are so big on the numeral score. Do people even freaking read the damn review? All I saw was that it was a good game.

Clushje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The Bad

* Some of the contextual actions don't control all that wellÂ
  * Streamlined controls make things a little too easy and a little less adventurousÂ
  * Doesn't do much different than the previous two Metroid Prime games.

Thats nitpicking :/ They might have a valid point on 1 (not far enough in to comment), but the other two? Streamlined controls means less fumbling about in menus for a start, something I didn't really like in the first two. I hope they don't get a bad case of double standards when reviewing Halo 3 or any other future game building upon a successful formulae.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VC games are reviewed because they think people want it, which may be partially true or entirely true. Otherwise, they're just doing VC reviews to fill up the website (AKA don't want to lose their job from lack of things to do). I don't have any beef with GS, I usually go through metacritic or something for a broader scoop.

K

KaliKot

wow I think there is bias if thats the score then...did MS pay them off?

seriously I think the minimum score for MP3 would be a 9

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
huh what's wrong with an 8.5 ? It's an excellent score...

my thoughts exactly. why do people get so angry at gamespot for not giving it a 10? in all honesty, i don't know what games have received a 10 from them, but i'd think their standards are extremely high, since i don't remember any overhyped game ever getting a 10. you guys should at least be happy it didn't get something like a 7 or even lower.
frown.gif

diegoa1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might sound funny, but i had a weird feeling that gamespot would give mp3 what a lot of us might consider a "low score". anything lower than a 9.5 was going to seem low to a lot of us, am i right? i got this feeling earlier today when i was making the rounds to all the gaming sites to see if they had mp3 reviews up yet. checked out gametrailers, ign, and 1up, and was pretty psyched they had such good reviews to be honest... i wanted the game to be great. went to gamespot, and saw no review on the first tab of their news. clicked the next one... nothing there... and so on. looked over the whole page... there was not one mention of mp3 anywhere on the entire front page, not even at the bottom on their top 10 games. WTF? i don't think any game, even bioshock has received quite as much hype in the past month as mp3, yet it's not even on gamespot's front page? gametrailers front page - plastered with metroid, ign the same... gamespot, NOTHING! now, i'm no conspiracy theorist, but this seems really fishy to me, and reeks of some behind the scenes gaming politics that we will probably never have any insight to. kind of how no EA games are reviewed before they hit stores. or how some sites have "buy this game" campaigns before they even have a chance to play the final version. anyway, i could care less about these scores anymore. i like to try a game for myself and make a decision on whether i like it or not based upon MY experience.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
8.5/8.8

Seriously though, who gives a crap what some game critic thinks? I've played and loved games that they've given scores as low as 4 to! They can talk all the shit they want, I go to Gamespot for screens, videos, and news. Not their stupid opinions.

K

KaliKot

8.5 is a good score but its below the Metroid Treshold of 9

I can understand prime hunters with an average of 85% ratings but prime and the 2d metroids 9 and above...easily

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
classic gamespot, I was expecting an 8.4.. whatever..

it doesn't take an idiot to know gamespots thought process:

"okay guys, this is a pretty damn good game for nintendo and it's gonna be a huge success, what score can we get away with?"
"I think anything below an 8.5 would be too obvious"
"okay, 8.5 it is then, now write a review attempting to justify it"

I mean, look at their super metroid review, they gave it an 8.5 also
Super Metroid, the game that is no stranger to the top ten games of all time and has claimed the number 1 spot more than once, you can justify maybe as low as a 9/10
but when the only bad thing they had to say about the game was "nintendo waited 13 years to port it" they make no sense
we all know if nintendo ported super metroid to GBA or DS gamespot would repeatedly complain throughout their review on how they wanted a new adventure, then give it a 4/10

FUCK GAMESPOT and fuck you if you if you think anything other than theyre the most biased retarded gaming site available

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or, just maybe Takam, they gave it an 8.5 because it's not deserving of a 9? The Metroid Prime games aren't THAT great. They're exploration games, in 3D, with shooting. It's not like it's an original concept.

If you ask me though, anyone bitching about an 8.5 is an idiot. That's still a damn good score!

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
since I don't have Prime 3 yet, I obviously can't vouch for it yet, which is why my post focused on Super Metroid.

however, if I go by every other review, gamespot is wrong again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o