Gamespot gives MP3 an 8.5

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Jhongerkong, Aug 28, 2007.

Aug 28, 2007

Gamespot gives MP3 an 8.5 by Jhongerkong at 1:23 AM (3,736 Views / 0 Likes) 59 replies

1. Jhongerkong
    OP

Member Jhongerkong GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Personally, GS was and has been shit to me for a while so im not surprised that they would do this. Comment away.

2. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    They were hardest on Bioshock, as well.

3. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    Bioshock is not a revolution, it's a basic FPS. I know it's not the subject of the thread, but I don't know why everybody loves this game [​IMG]

4. leetdude_007

United States
    I will kindly agree with you that it's not a revolution. I guess I'm easy to please. That and Tetris (the music in the original makes me want to get vodka-drunk). The story captivated me, just like System Shock 2 or HL 1, 2. I would kindly play all of those games again. I kind of see that MP3 is a basic FPS, too. But it has it's own unique qualities and a good enough story for me to do the same shit all over again. I would kinda kindly play MP3 if I had a Wii... [​IMG]

5. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I don't have a Wii, and I didn't played the game. IGN review says its the best controls for a FPS ever! Since Nintendo made it, the controls should be really good, Nintendo always knows how to use the controls they design.
    GS never gives high scores to games.. so a 8.5 means that the game must be really good!

As for the Super Metroid review.. I noticed that they made a Metroid review and gave it a 5.5.. reviewing a 20 years old game and give a bad score because the game is "obsolete" is stupid! I really don't see a reason to review the Virtual Console games..

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So, their opinion didn't match your's? Just move on, or are you in with the crowd that made 1UP make a retraction because they gave a bad review? Why not just enjoy the game if you really enjoy the game? Also, I'm trying to see why people are so big on the numeral score. Do people even freaking read the damn review? All I saw was that it was a good game.

7. Clushje

Newcomer Clushje Member

United Kingdom
    Thats nitpicking :/ They might have a valid point on 1 (not far enough in to comment), but the other two? Streamlined controls means less fumbling about in menus for a start, something I didn't really like in the first two. I hope they don't get a bad case of double standards when reviewing Halo 3 or any other future game building upon a successful formulae.

8. Reduxed

Member Reduxed GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This...will be... bio...shock...

9. leetdude_007

United States
    VC games are reviewed because they think people want it, which may be partially true or entirely true. Otherwise, they're just doing VC reviews to fill up the website (AKA don't want to lose their job from lack of things to do). I don't have any beef with GS, I usually go through metacritic or something for a broader scoop.

10. SynGamer

Member SynGamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because it has an excellent story.

11. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

wow I think there is bias if thats the score then...did MS pay them off?

seriously I think the minimum score for MP3 would be a 9

12. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    huh what's wrong with an 8.5 ? It's an excellent score...

13. knl

Member knl I can change this?

Brazil
    my thoughts exactly. why do people get so angry at gamespot for not giving it a 10? in all honesty, i don't know what games have received a 10 from them, but i'd think their standards are extremely high, since i don't remember any overhyped game ever getting a 10. you guys should at least be happy it didn't get something like a 7 or even lower. [​IMG]

14. diegoa1

Newcomer diegoa1 Member

United States
    might sound funny, but i had a weird feeling that gamespot would give mp3 what a lot of us might consider a "low score". anything lower than a 9.5 was going to seem low to a lot of us, am i right? i got this feeling earlier today when i was making the rounds to all the gaming sites to see if they had mp3 reviews up yet. checked out gametrailers, ign, and 1up, and was pretty psyched they had such good reviews to be honest... i wanted the game to be great. went to gamespot, and saw no review on the first tab of their news. clicked the next one... nothing there... and so on. looked over the whole page... there was not one mention of mp3 anywhere on the entire front page, not even at the bottom on their top 10 games. WTF? i don't think any game, even bioshock has received quite as much hype in the past month as mp3, yet it's not even on gamespot's front page? gametrailers front page - plastered with metroid, ign the same... gamespot, NOTHING! now, i'm no conspiracy theorist, but this seems really fishy to me, and reeks of some behind the scenes gaming politics that we will probably never have any insight to. kind of how no EA games are reviewed before they hit stores. or how some sites have "buy this game" campaigns before they even have a chance to play the final version. anyway, i could care less about these scores anymore. i like to try a game for myself and make a decision on whether i like it or not based upon MY experience.

15. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Yea score is good enough from gs.... probably...some other places give it ratings liike 9.5 or 9.6 and something like that, so it doesn't matter if gamespot gives it 8.5.

16. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    8.5/8.8

Seriously though, who gives a crap what some game critic thinks? I've played and loved games that they've given scores as low as 4 to! They can talk all the shit they want, I go to Gamespot for screens, videos, and news. Not their stupid opinions.

17. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

8.5 is a good score but its below the Metroid Treshold of 9

I can understand prime hunters with an average of 85% ratings but prime and the 2d metroids 9 and above...easily

18. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    classic gamespot, I was expecting an 8.4.. whatever..

it doesn't take an idiot to know gamespots thought process:

"okay guys, this is a pretty damn good game for nintendo and it's gonna be a huge success, what score can we get away with?"
    "I think anything below an 8.5 would be too obvious"
    "okay, 8.5 it is then, now write a review attempting to justify it"

I mean, look at their super metroid review, they gave it an 8.5 also
    Super Metroid, the game that is no stranger to the top ten games of all time and has claimed the number 1 spot more than once, you can justify maybe as low as a 9/10
    but when the only bad thing they had to say about the game was "nintendo waited 13 years to port it" they make no sense
    we all know if nintendo ported super metroid to GBA or DS gamespot would repeatedly complain throughout their review on how they wanted a new adventure, then give it a 4/10

FUCK GAMESPOT and fuck you if you if you think anything other than theyre the most biased retarded gaming site available

19. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Or, just maybe Takam, they gave it an 8.5 because it's not deserving of a 9? The Metroid Prime games aren't THAT great. They're exploration games, in 3D, with shooting. It's not like it's an original concept.

If you ask me though, anyone bitching about an 8.5 is an idiot. That's still a damn good score!

20. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    since I don't have Prime 3 yet, I obviously can't vouch for it yet, which is why my post focused on Super Metroid.

however, if I go by every other review, gamespot is wrong again.