Gamespot forbis Homebrew?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by techforumz, Mar 7, 2008.

Mar 7, 2008

Gamespot forbis Homebrew? by techforumz at 2:11 AM (3,699 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. techforumz
    OP

Member techforumz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was googling about, and found an article about a guy inquiring about which flashcard was the best. A mod quickly banned the topic and locked it. And then some more googling, I found this:
    Congratulations Gamespot! You officially lost my support. CNET, you still have a chance. Also, I would like to note that flashcards, homebrew, and emulators, are most certain legal. They may not remain as such, but if they ever do become illegal, I have a feeling that some revolt might incur. *HINT*

2. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    Well I'm pretty sure gamespot is affiliated with gamestop. So, they want you to buy the games.

3. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Huh. GFAQs had nothing against flash card topics last I checked, wonder why GS would? Maybe just a psycho mod?

4. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    ppl still go to gamespot ? lol after the whole grest scangel i havent been there again

5. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    How is this news....

6. techforumz
    OP

United States
    Perhaps this isn't news, but It's news for me. I thought this was a fairly recent (Jan 2008) development.

7. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Technically Emulators are illegal. I remember Grimalkin compiled alot of information about this in a thread. Gonna go find it

Edit- Here it is

8. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Gamespot and Gamefaqs have always been against talk of such nature, it just depends on which moderater you get and how pissed off they are as to whether anything is done about the posts.

So yeah not really news.

9. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Well.. since you need a flashcard to run homebrew, and flashcards are not allowed.. makes sence..

Anyway.. this shouldn't be on the "news" section.

10. techforumz
    OP

United States
    He never said anything about the Flashcards themselves being illegal. Certain ROMs and all Homebrew is also perfectly legal.

Oh and about the 'news' thing, you're probably right. So if you happen to be a mod passing by, then feel free to move this.

11. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Homebrew is legal.

Emulators are not.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

I swear no one reads this. [​IMG]

e: as for flash carts, if you can construct one without breaking copyright that's nice, but (US) law is not specific

12. techforumz
    OP

United States
    Yeah, whatever. My PC is a game copying device, does that make it illegal? My Tape player, voice recorder, CD/DVD burner, scanner, printer, wifi modem... Get a grip.

13. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    From a programming standpoint, not all emulators are "perfectly" legal. For example, Sega CD emulation requires you to have a bios file for which the copyrights are still held.

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Under US law, any device made specifically to circumvent security of any machine to play unauthorized games on it could be argued in court as to its legality. Thats why mod chips are being busted so much, and rumor has it that the R4 has illegal boot code, so its being raided against too.

And remember: best lawyer wins.

15. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Quite a bit of doublespeak on that nint. legal page [​IMG] I take it their best lawyer didn't write (or proofread it for accuracy) it at all.

aka: the customer who bought the game 15 years ago and find it's not working today and thus have no recourse to replace and repair it, technically should not be benefiting from the "asset" they purchased. Also, that one sentence tells me they don't want me to buy anything of theirs, because I might benefit from their so-called "assets". By the sound of it, if they had their way all gaming would be like those pay as you go phones, a resurrection of the reason why I stopped patronizing arcades (they got far too obvious and over-ambitious with their "insert coin here" routines.)

Any rate, as a sad attempt of putting this on topic... it's pretty much known that gamespot is in the pockets of the developers, and as such cater to them rather than their user base (else they stop getting preview copies and press materials and such.)

16. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    well the VC games are like that, if your Wii breaks there is nothing you can do about it, your VC games are gone forever, i will never touch a VC game for that reason only, also when you buy a VC from the Wii shop channel you are only buying the rights to use it, you don't actually own the files.

17. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    who cares, FUCK gamespot.

I would love to see them all crash and burn.

18. blahman

Member blahman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Regardless of flashcarts being legal or not, I'm not against gamespot for not allowing that sort of discussions on their forums. Gamepot mostly focuses on commercial games anyway. Moreover they're bound to have dumbasses going "ZOMG I DOWNLOADED NARUTO ROM ON MY R4! ITS THE BEST!!!1". There are plenty of places that specifically discuss the homebrew scene anyway.

19. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Emulators ARE legal, else how could connectix have remained in business for over 18y when their primary product was an x86 emulator for the mac? They also made a PSX emulator and sold it commercially for the mac. And there was also Bleem, another commercial PSX emulator.

20. techforumz
    OP

United States
    Wow this really boiled down to 'emulators, legal or not' very quickly. I believe that they are legal. Some believe that they are not. I believe that the question shouldn't be whether it's legal (yes I realize I said it), but whether it's ethical. The US (and other countries) are bribed (or 'lobbied') into making copyright laws trump my bill of rights. So as to my opinion of ethicality: yes, it's ethical if the emulator was not stolen, and the games are not commercially sold for your platform. Meaning that Super Mario World is ethical, but maybe not legal. Remember, ethics is something that varies from one person to another, don't take my word for it, make up your own mind. My 2c worth.