Games You SHOULDN'T Buy #5 - Metroid: Other M

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So now people aren't allowed to dislike the game or be allowed to share their opinions on why they dislike it? Everyone has to like it now? Lolwut?

There's a difference between hating a game because you dislike it, and hating a game because everyone else dislikes it.
The latter is extremely obvious.

Reactions: Black-Ice

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone knows you shouldn't buy this game because you're forced to play it wiimote sideways. Nunchuk and classic controller aren't support even though they totally would have worked well for it. (especially nunchuk since you can actually point the wiimote with it)

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So now people aren't allowed to dislike the game or be allowed to share their opinions on why they dislike it? Everyone has to like it now? Lolwut?

When did this occur?
Gbatemp has always been the land of "freedom to express your dislike for certain franchises, make multiple threads on the same franchises and say the same things while no one else can disagree coz you if say the bashing may be a tad be dramatic and harsh you're butthurt"

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

MYFW

Trophies
XP
Country
WTF? This game si very good!!!!

IQ4LkAB.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This.

It's one of the few games I don't play for story, even though it was supposed to be played for story. The gameplay alone is just fun. Sort of like Conduit 2.
Hard to compare it to a game like Conduit 2 which is relatively story-light when this has like 2 hours of cutscenes.

You can watch a FUCKING MOVIE of the cutscenes if you wanted.

It's like saying "Oh I don't play Metal Gear Solid for the story."

Reactions: BvanBart and Gahars

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hard to compare it to a game like Conduit 2 which is relatively story-light when this has like 2 hours of cutscenes.

There's even a " theater mode " that you unlock upon beating the game, which clips together an entire playthrough of the game for your viewing "pleasure".

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2 hours of unskippable cutscenes, iirc, so you're getting the story no matter what.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did this occur?
Gbatemp has always been the land of "freedom to express your dislike for certain franchises, make multiple threads on the same franchises and say the same things while no one else can disagree coz you if say the bashing may be a tad be dramatic and harsh you're butthurt"

Just saying, some people make it seem like this game's a masterpiece when it looks sub par to me at best and I'm sure there are some people the defend this game like no tomorrow. It really doesn't look good at all. Just saying.

There's a difference between hating a game because you dislike it, and hating a game because everyone else dislikes it.

The latter is extremely obvious.

The game just seems like one long cut scene and they made Samus a pussy. Need I say more? To each their own, c'est la vie.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Without me reading the reason and points made in this thread, I agree that this game should be skipped. It is the only Metroid game I didn't bother to finish, or put much time into and as a massive fan of the series this one stands out as the turkey of the bunch!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
2 hours of unskippable cutscenes, iirc, so you're getting the story no matter what.
That's actually not true. People think it's 2 hours because there is a theater mode which includes 2 hours of videos. Most of it is recordings of gameplay, not cutscenes. That being said, I do think the cutscenes were too long. It goes back to the second major flaw I first mentioned.

the_randomizer I thought you said you didn't play the game. :blink:

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I liked it too.
I don't really get whats with people saying they only mashed buttons in battle. Isn't that usually a sign of people sucking at a game? It almost always works in all games, but it's by no way the way its supposed to be played. You run from enemies for a while to study their movement and moves, then time your avoiding and shooting. You learn when enemies that require missles or changing the perspective in general, stand still (because they all give you openings eventually) and then aim for them when they do. And you use the finishing blows, which I really enjoyed to just look at.

Same with the supposed linearity and 'you got to kill the room, move on, repeat' thing. Isn't that pretty much every other metroid? The only reason the prime games weren't necessarily linear was the whole sequence breaking thing. Which wasn't in the game intentionally to begin with, as seen with the many attempts to stop the most important break, early space jump boots in prime 1. Other than that, you could enter a wrong door, but would inevitably be blocked a room later by heat, a colored door, a missle lock or a really long pit.
I believe the only game that promoted sequence breaking openly was Zero Mission with its low% achievments. And Fusion in that one secret Adam scene. The original metroid and metroid 2 werent completely linear in a sense, because they never directed you anywhere and you were often blindly searching for the next weapon or item / the last metroid around.
Never played super metroid a lot, because the clunky controls were really hard to get used to after playing the gba games, so i cant talk much about linearity here. But I'm pretty sure the only reason not to follow the games intended sequence was to waste time or maybe pick up a left behind missle pack.
I guess its a bit harder to run the wrong way in other m, because it had less 'misleading paths' and less 'it might be the right way, you have to check first to know' tunnels and doorways. though there were some in the jungle sector i clearly remember.

I cant disagree with the small handful of scanning moments, they messed something up there by requiring pinpoint accuracy to hit a very specific pixel. However, if you honestly needed a guide to get past that, I can't help but laugh. Its always very obvious were the game wanted you to look. And after the very first scan sequence, it was also obvious that the game just wants you to hit a very specific spot, so you wiggle the scanner around a bit until you get it. So while badly done and arguably annoying, it comes as a surprise only once and after that is easily solved.
Surprisingly, my kid brothers basically get past these screens in seconds without any problem, every time.

I never really cared about samus breakdown. To me, it was a nod to the backstory/manga and I was fine with it. It might've been more believable if this game happened right after zero mission, when she first 'killed' the monster that murdered her parents and was practically about to rape/eat her two seconds later, and then it came back just like it was never blown to bits. but whatever.
ptsd can happen years after the actual event even if the basic event repeated itself 5 times before.
and revertigo (associative regression) would be able to explain why it only happened right there at that point and never before and never afterwards. the story might be unworthy of what people pictured ice cold genocide chick to be when she actually opened her mouth or had to interact with real life humans, but eh. it works out from a psychological point of view.
and samus is arguably a psychological unique case anyways. come on. she lost her parents to ridley, she was forced to grow up on the planet of wrinkly bird freaks that couldnt even communicate with her for the longest while, who she later lost as well. then she went to the military. and afterwards took the job of a sociopath, lonely space hunter, after realizing that she wouldn't be able to properly function in any type of social unit. after which, she began to eradicate one race of alien animal after another, indiscriminately blasting holes in vicious, but only instinct driven predators, harmless space plants, space criminals, beasts tamed and enraged by space criminals and most likely this or that space government soldier too. you can't cause intergalactic genocides too often without ending up breaking space law at least once. to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if, after the events of metroid fusion, samus became a wanted criminal (or at least wanted for political reasons) for destroying the space station, even if a malfunctioning AI system told her to do it.

I never really held silent hunter samus as a character in a high place as you might have guessed. Having a girl in the suit was a gimmick for its time, with the dominant man-heroes, but not much else. Her being a girl didnt change anything. So what, she finished a bunch of hard missions? She did that because she had the most adaptable power suit in history and every planet she ever visited had a conveniently placed self destruct mechanism to finish the 'eradicate it all' objective.
As we eventually found out in prime 3 and hunters, every damn bounty hunter in the galaxy and beyond has a similar reputation though, hard missions in all kinds of harsh places with all kinds of objectives and all kinds of morally questionable acts of planetary genocide.

having said that, metroid, to me, has never been about samus, which is probably the biggest reason why, even if i completely agreed with all the story critique, i wouldn't care much. metroid was about running, gunning and a bit of exploring. I'd literally play every game that did this with ok gameplay and controls. the most interesting stories in metroid always happened mostly independently without samus anyway. the rise and fall of the chozo, the rise of the space pirates, all the fantasy biology and logs in the prime series, finding phazon, the history of that star system in prime hunters.etc. the hero coming in and usually eradicating the whole place wasn't that interesting from a storyline perspective to begin with.

but I'm fine with people disagreeing, if you dont like it, you dont like it. but if all you know about the game is the popular opinion, you might be surprised, its not all bad.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I own this game and recently turned down the opportunity to get another copy of it for free (Argos were giving it away with Mario Kart 8, but I deleted Other M from my basket at the checkout). Not a patch on the Prime trilogy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked it too.
I don't really get whats with people saying they only mashed buttons in battle. Isn't that usually a sign of people sucking at a game? It almost always works in all games, but it's by no way the way its supposed to be played. You run from enemies for a while to study their movement and moves, then time your avoiding and shooting. You learn when enemies that require missles or changing the perspective in general, stand still (because they all give you openings eventually) and then aim for them when they do. And you use the finishing blows, which I really enjoyed to just look at.

If I'm able to beat an action game by mashing buttons and mashing dodge then it's poorly designed. Coming from the studio that did Ninja Gaiden, you'd expect more.

Why even bother with learning enemy movements and attacks when I can mash the dodge button and dodge any attack regardless? In other action games you have to study enemy attacks to see what direction they attack, what the attack arc is, and which direction you need to dodge it. Here your dodge dodges anything so why even bother. It doesn't even have a cooldown or vulnerability frames so you can just do it constantly while you shoot.

And learning that enemies require a different weapon to beat them isn't good game design, it's the basics. It's like having ice enemies weak to fire attacks. No shit Sherlock. Even then, missiles were incredibly cumbersome to use since you have to rotate the goddamn controller to use it and rapidly have it switch to fire person and aim. Again, not good game design, it's a gigantic block in the flow of combat that adds an artificial difficulty. In an action game, using a "slow" weapon usually equates to a long animation but it deals for greater damage and/or staggers. You master using it by knowing just when an enemy can be hit and what effect it'll have on them. It's reliant on knowledge. Here, it's just reliant on how fast you can twirl the controller around and make sure it'll actually aim at the screen since you're not really needing to have the controller aiming at it at all times. No knowledge, not skill, just overcoming clumsiness and artificial difficulty barriers.

Also, "enjoying looking at finishing blows" is the same thing that gets people to love God of War. It's visceral, it's good looking, but it's certainly not a skillful action game.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, there are people that like this game? I guess if you put it on mute, and just zone out during the cut scenes, it's at best forgettable. The game controls are awkward and odd, but it's playable. Mostly. Which is something. The "plot" and "story" completely break the game though.

Again, there are people that like this game as a whole?

Probably I am the only person who enjoyed the game and likes it more than the prime games.

Out of curiosity, what made you enjoy it? And what made you like metroid prime less?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually not true. People think it's 2 hours because there is a theater mode which includes 2 hours of videos. Most of it is recordings of gameplay, not cutscenes. That being said, I do think the cutscenes were too long. It goes back to the second major flaw I first mentioned.

the_randomizer I thought you said you didn't play the game. :blink:

Nope, never played it, it doesn't interest me at all to have a whiny protagonist, reminds me too much of FFX's. I'd rather download it to be perfectly frank.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Nope, never played it, it doesn't interest me at all to have a whiny protagonist, reminds me too much of FFX's. I'd rather download it to be perfectly frank.
Except you don't actually know what the game is like. I don't think it's got a whiny protagonist, and really enjoyed it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except you don't actually know what the game is like. I don't think it's got a whiny protagonist, and really enjoyed it.

She's not whiny, she's just a weak piss-for-brains reliant character that's nothing like she was made out to be in the other games. Some of her decisions are just groan-worthy, others are flat-out stupid.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt