Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

2. thesupremegamer

thesupremegamer GBAtemp Regular

so why is this game good then? im curious

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    If the visible enemies are randomly-generated then they are still random encounters.
    Of course you do. If you die and restart at a checkpoint or if you've played a level before, you know the enemy's positions exactly, which is why an element of randomness is welcome.
    We seem to have different definitions of what a random encounter is. You use the narrow definition of "screen starts to blink and a turn-based battle begins" wheras a random encounter is simply a randomized encounter with an enemy. This includes visible enemies, there's no reason why those wouldn't be random encounters if they're randomized.
    That's your opinion.
    You're describing bad random encounters. Good random encounters create randomized teams of various enemies, they should rarely be samey.
    That's my point. Random encounters shouldn't happen every two steps - random encounters should feel random. Again, you're describing the flaws of a bad random encounter, but random encounters don't have to be this way.
    Do you think encounters in Fallout: New Vegas are not random? Some are area-scripted or story-scripted, but the great majority of things you meet in the Wastelands are completely random. Of course you don't know that because they're designed well - in New Vegas you actually get jumped or you get to ambush enemies if you see them first. Those are good random encounters.
    It's a level design term describing a co-ordinate on the map where an enemy is spawned, aka created.
    If there are no random encounters then there is no adventuring. Questing and adventuring are inter-connected, but not the same thing.
    RPG does not mean stats, RPG means role playing. Stats are used to express character progress and maths are used to create game mechanics, but RPG at its core is all about playing a role, not about the maths behind doing so. In fact, the maths should be as transparent as possible so you don't have to think about them and can focus on the actual adventure.
    I could argue all day long that removing the top screen from a DSi or a 3DS is the dumbest thing in the universe that renders the system 95% inoperable, but you still went with it.
    Again, you have a far too narrow definition of what a random encounter is. RPG's should never be divided into levels - RPG's are all about exploration and an open world that's not divided into separate levels works wonders in this regard.

4. Hyro-Sama

It's not. I just went threw this phase in Middle/High school where I was playing my PS2 daily. Burning through games one after another. Uzumaki Chronicles happens to be one of the games I remember. Terrible game, but I found lots of enjoyment in it.

5. thesupremegamer

so baicly the games so bad its good?

6. Hyro-Sama

I guess in sense, yeah.

7. thesupremegamer

XD yeah we all have one of those games that we like for all the wrong reasons lol XD

8. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
  9. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

United States
    Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne was a pain in the butt with random encounters. I couldn't even take 3 steps before getting into a battle. Eventually I gave up on the game, I liked it but that one problem made me not turn back.

zeello likes this.
  10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    Yeah, it's a big problem when developers can't adjust random encounters properly. They should be as the name implies - random, not constant. They should come as a surprise, catch you off-guard with unexpected combat and test your skills, too much encounters turns the game into an experience grinder which is never good.

11. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    The first Echo Night for PS1 ...don't know how much people actually played it, or if they liked it ...but it's definitely a interesting game for me
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

United States
    Yeah, Final Fantasy X-2 suffered with same problem and that was my favorite childhood game. I played it last week, and I gave up on that one too :rofl2:. (Sigh) I'm so glad we have games that fix this problem like Persona :wub: .

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    It's all a by-product of the "challenge = more sh*t attacks you" way of thinking prevalent in the JRPG genre, although these days it's much less prominent than it used to. Instead of challenging the wits, the devs just challenged the player's persistance and patience - bad design indeed.
    I know it's just one screenshot, but it intrigued me. Is this a horror of some kind? I think I might try this, actually. :P

Logan97 likes this.
  14. thesupremegamer

i think it was done like that to simulate the whole post apocolyptic monster driven feel

but yes it was very annoying

15. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

United States
    But they aren't randomly triggered. I usually say "random triggered encounters" and when I do say "random encounters" its merely as a shorthand for "randomly triggered encounters".

However it technically doesn't matter what I call them. I could call them tacos and it wouldn't change anything. It is evident you are already aware if what I'm referring to and are trying to argue using semantics. It's like you if had said that if you have a friend who is a girl, that automatically makes her your girlfriend. (because girl + friend = girlfriend) (obviously!)

That is what I mean. But it doesn't have to be turned based. Star Ocean has real time gameplay during battles, but the battles are still randomly triggered (not visible enemies outside of battle) and unavoidable.

"whereas a girlfriend is simply a girl who is your friend"
    See? You're doing it again.

Random encounters feature enemies distinct to the particular area you are navigating. (or were, before the encounter interrupted you) You will be seeing the same enemies over and over.

"should" "should"
    so, in a perfect world, all games with randomly triggered encounters would implement them in such a way as to minimize the annoyances inherent to them.
    You might as well argue, at this point, that...
    E.Coli is not bad, because it shouldn't make you sick.
    Hitler is not bad, because he shouldn't have done those things.
    Rapelay is not bad, because it shouldn't have rape in it.
    Nuclear holocaust is not bad, because civilians dying to weapons of mass destruction shouldn't happen.
    We should avoid blanket statements like "E.Coli/Hitler/Rapelay are bad" and notice that E.Coli, Hitler, and Rapelay can be done well if implemented carefully.

Also, to point out that an encounter happens in 5 seconds or 15 seconds is not sufficiently random in a meaningful way. In any game with randomly triggered encounters, the encounters are frequent enough that they might as well be evenly spaced apart. It is of absolutely no consequence. If you know something is going to happen, then that is random. And if you know that there's nothing you can do about it, then that is abuse.

I'm describing random encounters in the way the vast majority, if not all, games of the JP RPG genre implement them.
    But ask yourself, if a mechanic is misused by 100 percent of games that use it, then what does it mean that the mechanic could hypothetically be used well. What's the use is trying to save a lost cause, if there us absolutely nothing to be gained? "woohoo! I made an unimmersive, coldly mechanical exercise in RPG mechanics where battles are dealt out unintelligibly throughout the experience for no reason whatsoever, but in a manner that is not quite as assaultive and annoying as previous games that had attempted it! GOTY here I come!"

so in other words, we can tell that encounters in games with randomly triggered encounters are random, therefore they must be designed poorly.

Says who?
    Here look, I can make random assertions too.
    If there is no bacon then there is no adventuring.
    If there is no experience point system then there is no character development.
    If there is no sex appeal then there is no replay value.
    If there is no character creator then there is no role playing.

As stated above, I'm using the phrase to mean a specific thing.
    see your definitions for RPG for instance. You say RPG doesn't mean stats, but it can mean stats provided it is established between us that RPG = stats. See also the word girlfriend, or the term "animal abuse," which is obviously inferred to mean non-human animal.

That's how language works. Argue semantics some more. You're blatantly ducking the issue by calling on games/genres that don't have randomly triggered encounters of the specific type I am describing, which are almost exclusively relegated to japanese games, and instesd simply stretching the phrase to mean any mechanic with a random element.

its like entering the handheld section gaming forum and begin talking about razors ("well they're handheld too! you obviously didn't know that so let me explain it to you what a razor is because I'm Foxi. While im at it let me tell you about Fallout New Vegas and other games that do not relate to the conversation in any way")

16. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

Brazil
  17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    zeello Get back on-topic or make a new thread specifically about how you don't like random encounters, stop hijacking the thread.

18. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    What I meant was fans of the Chrono series liked Trigger over Cross. Sorry If I failed on making that clear.

19. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

United States
    Vectorman and the Lunar series.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Mexico
    Jet Force Gemini for the good old N64. A nice little 3rd person shooter from rare that i've seen get ignored because it's not Goldeneye or the Banjo games. The way i could describe that game is like Mario 64 and Quake made sweet love and 9 months later this game was born and if it ever gets ported to the Xbox One i will buy that console just to play that game, its just so great one of the best on the system and pretty much the direction i wanted 3D Megaman games follow instead of the Legend series.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - nobody, Games,