Games you got too good at and ruined for yourself.

gbatemp_too_good_games_banner.jpg

What happens when "git gud" should actually occur and you ruin the game for yourself, or playing it with friends if it is a multiplayer (you are indeed now "that guy")? Similarly if games have taught people pattern recognition for sometimes decades then is it surprising when you get good at it and does that in turn break something you were enjoying?
Today we are looking for examples of games you were enjoying but eventually you saw through the matrix or your grit and determination left you just that good and thus you no longer care to play it. Did you make any house rules, alternative play styles, cheats or similar to try to make it better?

Examples.
One of my absolute favourite games on the DS was Puzzle Quest. It took the idea of "what if instead of epic battles in your fantasy RPG you instead won battles by doing a tile matching game" and ran with it. However then the pattern matching thing kicked in and I realised that if I saw a certain pattern of gems in the field which is theoretically random (in reality not so much, whether that is to make up for weak AI or an actual oversight I don't know) I actually knew the next seven or so optimal moves (some battles being less than that or decided by it), and then another optimal set for another common state, and another until I could almost do it on autopilot.

Another DS favourite is Tetris DS. I played the vs CPU as something to keep my hands busy when watching videos or something. Today it poses no challenge and I have to house rule myself, or go for another version.

Megadrive bomberman. I know there are better examples of battle mode but it was my main one and thus I still revert to it. However the thing where you wait for an enemy to come from above, know they will lay a bomb (or line thereof) and you go lower and trap them thus ending the confrontation does rather make it something of a one sided affair. Fortunately there are newer entries that follow the art style somewhat.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phew... Sure a lot. Some notables:
Doom & doom 2: I continuously played through this on hardest difficulty (below nightmare, which was unfair). Knew every cranny and secret and circle strafe everywhere.
I agree that Nightmare is unfair. And besides the difficulty, re-spawns totally kill the fun of the game.

I'm currently working my way through the classic Dooms on Ultra-Violence with no quick saves and starting every level with only the pistol. I don't know what more is left after that aside from speed-running, which is far enough beyond my ability that I couldn't see myself enjoying it. Ultra-Violence with no saves and no carried over weapons from previous levels feels like the real way to play classic Doom.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Columns Sega Genesis. I played this game over 10 years ago at my friend's house and pretty much had to put the controller down to end the game. lol.
I did that when I was younger. I played for four hours straight on the same game and started getting tunnel vision. In the end I purposely sabotaged myself just to bring it to an end.

I tried completing the RetroAchievements set for Columns a few months back but couldn't get back into the same groove I had before. I just remember that at some point the patterns clicked and there was no way I was going to lose, but it's since un-clicked.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,
Reactions: Taleweaver

PsyhoticTomato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
the whole Kingdom Hearts saga; been replaying game after game and i just got to the point i have almost memorized every way to beat bosses and level up fast, so i kinda hate it because its a good saga :c

lexluth0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rad racer for nes, my buddies and myself used to eat a lot of mushrooms and play that game for hours on end still to this day I can beat most of the game without restarting

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
RummyQ, I did discover what, if are only 2 players and you keep passing turns up to the «bag» of tiles get empy, normally your opponent isn't able to win but you have enough tiles to be sure of play all of them and win the game no effort at all.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I love this game to death, but after a single play-through it gets repetitive. And the hard mode is still child's play for fighting game veterans like me who still get their ass whopped by Fulgore on Normal.

Digimon_Rumble_Arena.jpg

Reactions: raxadian

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
UT2004's onslaught mode. I remember practicing the demo offline before joining an online match, thinking I'd better not embarrass myself or any others by not knowing how it all works.
Then I learned that others just seem to turn off their brain when playing it. Like... Everyone just went to the battle front from the nearest node, sometimes even fighting team mates over the vehicles. And there I was, spawning further back but bringing in tanks, mantas... The entire fucking armada.
In one of my last public plays, I singlehandedly turned the tide of a 16 player game. Multiple times, because I switched to the losing team several times to give myself a bit of a challenge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple