Games you got too good at and ruined for yourself.

gbatemp_too_good_games_banner.jpg

What happens when "git gud" should actually occur and you ruin the game for yourself, or playing it with friends if it is a multiplayer (you are indeed now "that guy")? Similarly if games have taught people pattern recognition for sometimes decades then is it surprising when you get good at it and does that in turn break something you were enjoying?
Today we are looking for examples of games you were enjoying but eventually you saw through the matrix or your grit and determination left you just that good and thus you no longer care to play it. Did you make any house rules, alternative play styles, cheats or similar to try to make it better?

Examples.
One of my absolute favourite games on the DS was Puzzle Quest. It took the idea of "what if instead of epic battles in your fantasy RPG you instead won battles by doing a tile matching game" and ran with it. However then the pattern matching thing kicked in and I realised that if I saw a certain pattern of gems in the field which is theoretically random (in reality not so much, whether that is to make up for weak AI or an actual oversight I don't know) I actually knew the next seven or so optimal moves (some battles being less than that or decided by it), and then another optimal set for another common state, and another until I could almost do it on autopilot.

Another DS favourite is Tetris DS. I played the vs CPU as something to keep my hands busy when watching videos or something. Today it poses no challenge and I have to house rule myself, or go for another version.

Megadrive bomberman. I know there are better examples of battle mode but it was my main one and thus I still revert to it. However the thing where you wait for an enemy to come from above, know they will lay a bomb (or line thereof) and you go lower and trap them thus ending the confrontation does rather make it something of a one sided affair. Fortunately there are newer entries that follow the art style somewhat.

Ev1lbl0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Celeste. Simply because I can no longer replay that game ever again as an innocent player, who had no idea hyper dash and wallbounce were a thing.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mario Kart Wii
Tetris
Smash Bros Melee, there was a time when I was untouchable.
Kirby AirRide (I have to handicap myself a lot)
Planet Puzzle League
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (again, have to handicap myself)

Last edited by gamefan5,

Venegas55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
MK 8, ive been playing mario kart for so long... i know the tracks mirrored in 200cc... have not tried mods tho...

Kazmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii, the game becomes too easy after played it many times, now i use cheats to reduce the exp gained (about 75%) and the game is more challenging.
Maybe I should try lowering the exp for my next inevitable playthrough. Hmm.

Reactions: Draxikor

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am more of a Heroes of Might and Magic II type (yes yes yes burn the heretic) but are there no AI mods? I saw mention of some for various HoMM entries to bring it up to something like a challenge or at least not make the AI as easy to cheese.

Unfortunately no the AI actually mainly functions through cheating. Though if I want to get my ass whooped I'll just boot up HoMM 5.5 cuz that AI is very good.

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I always win 1st and never see my friends who never played it in the whole game

fyredragon

whats a gbatemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gotta be DOOM Eternal. I can't remember how many times I've already beaten the main campaign, TAG P1 and TAG P2. I just keep coming back to it because it's so fun. Been considering playing through the entire series again. From 1993 to Eternal.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Monster Hunter... I stopped playing Rise right now because of that. Everything is just too easy for me now.
I tried going back to older titles to see if it was Rise's specific flaws and... they're also too easy.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing, I’m garbage at games. I will say that “completing” certain games removes my will to play them further (unless I delete the save file). Like an arcade racer, if I’ve unlocked everything and beat it on every difficulty, I’m done.

chrisgfystoops

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
castlevania sotn, in my 38 years of living that and final fantasy tactics ive play and got so good at that i usually end up quitting due to lack of interest after dominating everything .i dont even mean to some of the times on tactics but ill find myself leveling up all my main characters to like 20 before like the fifth mission. Ill take an hour+ just to beat a single round cause im just sitting there gaining exp doin little to no damage each round ,.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
castlevania sotn, in my 38 years of living that and final fantasy tactics ive play and got so good at that i usually end up quitting due to lack of interest after dominating everything .i dont even mean to some of the times on tactics but ill find myself leveling up all my main characters to like 20 before like the fifth mission. Ill take an hour+ just to beat a single round cause im just sitting there gaining exp doin little to no damage each round ,.
I am less familiar with the Castlevania stuff (though there is one on the first link, and enough people paying attention to it) but pretty much all the Final Fantasy Tactics games have a big "hard mode" hacking scene.

http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyA.../board/index4126.html?/files/category/1-mods/ is probably where most would have started years ago.
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...e=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go has a few but appears to be missing DS stuff right now
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ffta2-r...t-for-final-fantasy-tactics-on-the-ds.396380/ being one such example.

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=47.0 was once where a lot of hacking went down, but there are a few others these days (I don't tend to keep up though).

All that said I tend to find myself gravitating to other tactics games.

Reactions: Cortador

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wouldn't say too good, but when I play older Pokémon games they are always too easy, like I knew there were type advantages and eerything when I was younger, but I never bothered with moves that couldn't deal damage.
Now they all have sword dance / calm mind or other stat increasing moves.
So now I can only really enjoy rom hacks

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2020 Super Baseball

I beat all four ports with perfect seasons, playing each game back to back. It's still a great game to me, but I don't know what more I could accomplish after such a perfect run. I'm hoping there will be a RetroAchievement set for it at some point.

Shadowrun (Sega Genesis version)

On my main save I have max stats on the main character and max stats in the relevant areas on almost all of the other runners. This took literally years. The only thing I don't have maxed on them are the things that you only need one character to have maxed out. Also, I actually discovered a Matrix exploit that's not listed on any cheats websites. With it you can Deceive any node in one shot, even Tar Pits and high-level CPUs (If you've ever played this game seriously you know how much this would break the Matrix... feel free to ask for details). Of course I completed the RetroAchievements set.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Phew... Sure a lot. Some notables:
Doom & doom 2: I continuously played through this on hardest difficulty (below nightmare, which was unfair). Knew every cranny and secret and circle strafe everywhere.

Puzzle quest : kind of an interesting story. Had a combo that worked well. Then I accidentally read about another combo of three or even two spells. One removed a color, and I think the second transferred another color into the first. Both gave something else as well (I think damage, but unsure). The first time I used it was really the last time I ACTUALLY played it. That combo made the board fly with everything and the kitchen sink. It was like using a cheat code. Even the final boss was at most a two shot or something.

NSMBU: I'm in no way the best player, but it's kind of ridiculous playing with my nephew and niece. They stumble in every ravine they can find and then count on me to save the day. But what am I supposed to say? "i've been playing this game since I was your age, so keep practicing and you'll be equal in thirty years"?

C&C multiplayer. Well... Lan play, that is. See, watching starcraft 2 streams showed that the game is a sprint from the start. So where I used to play pretty casual, building a few tanks here, all the different buildings there... That is just not how to play an rts. Just having 'a' build order means you can walk over those exploring the map for half an hour first.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Columns Sega Genesis. I played this game over 10 years ago at my friend's house and pretty much had to put the controller down to end the game. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte