1. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Yeah it saw a takedown notice (though I think it was actually Sega this time rather than the usual tetris company vs the world, though I might be wrong) and was made by a Japanese dev so not so many even knew about it in the first place. I have tried over the years to keep the memory alive, and it along with Tetnus on Drugs/Lockjaw (another fantastic GBA/DS/PC homebrew effort) have seen me do well for Tetris despite efforts everywhere else to seemingly make a bad one (or be OK on the PSP but have to suffer PSP controls).

I am more of a Heroes of Might and Magic II type (yes yes yes burn the heretic) but are there no AI mods? I saw mention of some for various HoMM entries to bring it up to something like a challenge or at least not make the AI as easy to cheese.

I had wondered if we would get games like that in this. There was a little glut of them (STARWHAL, Nidhogg and maybe if we are kicking it somewhat old school then soldat being examples of the thing, Stickfight then being the third to round it out) at one point. Always seemed that between a week and a month (never mind if there was a beta of some form) you would get someone master it and then just dominate servers such that it barely seemed worth the effort. Pity as there is a space for pure skill games.

On challenge. I found the same with Tetris DS online. I used to use a flash cart which for some reason would crash when trying to return from online so my profile was new every time. It has a player score component that gained slowly the more you had over your opponent but dropped massively should you lose to a notably lower scored type, and my score was the default new player score. Good times.

My ageing frame saw me move away from games like Unreal and COD to ones where strategy gets you somewhere (Battlefield 4 being surprisingly good for it if going for the more mainstream), though the kids tend to refer to the strategy vs action as TTK (time to kill) these days. Sadly it is very dependent upon getting a good team willing to work as one and that is rare and value when you find it, a few more indie games do mechanically enforce/guide team play but they also suffer from being indie games.

If you find yourself drawn to crafting systems and put enough time into Kindoms of Amalur to get that far might I suggest Resonance of Fate. Eventually you can cheese it but it takes a long time.

zxr750j likes this.
  2. Ev1lbl0w

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Celeste. Simply because I can no longer replay that game ever again as an innocent player, who had no idea hyper dash and wallbounce were a thing.

3. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Mario Kart Wii
    Tetris
    Smash Bros Melee, there was a time when I was untouchable.
    Kirby AirRide (I have to handicap myself a lot)
    Planet Puzzle League
    Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (again, have to handicap myself)

Last edited by gamefan5, May 12, 2021
  4. Venegas55

Venegas55 Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    MK 8, ive been playing mario kart for so long... i know the tracks mirrored in 200cc... have not tried mods tho...

5. Kazmar

Kazmar Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Maybe I should try lowering the exp for my next inevitable playthrough. Hmm.

Draxikor likes this.
  6. RedoLane

RedoLane Employed Punmaster

Israel
    A DS homebrew? neat. I'll check it out.

7. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Unfortunately no the AI actually mainly functions through cheating. Though if I want to get my ass whooped I'll just boot up HoMM 5.5 cuz that AI is very good.

8. MeAndHax

MeAndHax Impolite person with some modding knowledge.

Germany
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I always win 1st and never see my friends who never played it in the whole game

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    secret of mana i'm so good at it and know exactly what to do i can go through the entire game without dying

10. Androidian

Androidian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Gotta be DOOM Eternal. I can't remember how many times I've already beaten the main campaign, TAG P1 and TAG P2. I just keep coming back to it because it's so fun. Been considering playing through the entire series again. From 1993 to Eternal.

11. phalk

phalk Handheld Maniac

Brazil
    Monster Hunter... I stopped playing Rise right now because of that. Everything is just too easy for me now.
    I tried going back to older titles to see if it was Rise's specific flaws and... they're also too easy.

12. DS1

DS1 伝説のサラリーマン

United States
    Nothing, I’m garbage at games. I will say that “completing” certain games removes my will to play them further (unless I delete the save file). Like an arcade racer, if I’ve unlocked everything and beat it on every difficulty, I’m done.

13. chrisgfystoops

Newcomer

United States
    castlevania sotn, in my 38 years of living that and final fantasy tactics ive play and got so good at that i usually end up quitting due to lack of interest after dominating everything .i dont even mean to some of the times on tactics but ill find myself leveling up all my main characters to like 20 before like the fifth mission. Ill take an hour+ just to beat a single round cause im just sitting there gaining exp doin little to no damage each round ,.

14. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I am less familiar with the Castlevania stuff (though there is one on the first link, and enough people paying attention to it) but pretty much all the Final Fantasy Tactics games have a big "hard mode" hacking scene.

http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyA.../board/index4126.html?/files/category/1-mods/ is probably where most would have started years ago.
    http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...e=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go has a few but appears to be missing DS stuff right now
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ffta2-r...t-for-final-fantasy-tactics-on-the-ds.396380/ being one such example.

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=47.0 was once where a lot of hacking went down, but there are a few others these days (I don't tend to keep up though).

All that said I tend to find myself gravitating to other tactics games.

Cortador likes this.
  15. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Sure

16. Esdeath

Esdeath GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Wouldn't say too good, but when I play older Pokémon games they are always too easy, like I knew there were type advantages and eerything when I was younger, but I never bothered with moves that couldn't deal damage.
    Now they all have sword dance / calm mind or other stat increasing moves.
    So now I can only really enjoy rom hacks

17. ChiefReginod

ChiefReginod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    2020 Super Baseball

I beat all four ports with perfect seasons, playing each game back to back. It's still a great game to me, but I don't know what more I could accomplish after such a perfect run. I'm hoping there will be a RetroAchievement set for it at some point.

Shadowrun (Sega Genesis version)

On my main save I have max stats on the main character and max stats in the relevant areas on almost all of the other runners. This took literally years. The only thing I don't have maxed on them are the things that you only need one character to have maxed out. Also, I actually discovered a Matrix exploit that's not listed on any cheats websites. With it you can Deceive any node in one shot, even Tar Pits and high-level CPUs (If you've ever played this game seriously you know how much this would break the Matrix... feel free to ask for details). Of course I completed the RetroAchievements set.

Last edited by ChiefReginod, May 13, 2021
    RoloDeOvo likes this.
  18. RoloDeOvo

RoloDeOvo Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Sonic Mania, Sonic Colors DS, and Sonic 2. I can autopilot my way through these games so effortlessly that i tend to get bored halfway through.

Rayman Arena used to be a game i played a lot with my cousin until he got bored of losing.

19. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

United States
    Dragon Ball Z - Budokai Tenkaichi 3
    Metal Arms - Glitch in the System
    Ratchet and Clank 1 and 3 (I still enjoy them, though)

20. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Phew... Sure a lot. Some notables:
    Doom & doom 2: I continuously played through this on hardest difficulty (below nightmare, which was unfair). Knew every cranny and secret and circle strafe everywhere.

Puzzle quest : kind of an interesting story. Had a combo that worked well. Then I accidentally read about another combo of three or even two spells. One removed a color, and I think the second transferred another color into the first. Both gave something else as well (I think damage, but unsure). The first time I used it was really the last time I ACTUALLY played it. That combo made the board fly with everything and the kitchen sink. It was like using a cheat code. Even the final boss was at most a two shot or something.

NSMBU: I'm in no way the best player, but it's kind of ridiculous playing with my nephew and niece. They stumble in every ravine they can find and then count on me to save the day. But what am I supposed to say? "i've been playing this game since I was your age, so keep practicing and you'll be equal in thirty years"?

C&C multiplayer. Well... Lan play, that is. See, watching starcraft 2 streams showed that the game is a sprint from the start. So where I used to play pretty casual, building a few tanks here, all the different buildings there... That is just not how to play an rts. Just having 'a' build order means you can walk over those exploring the map for half an hour first.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - yourself, ruined, Games