1. 5,300

Front-page
    gbatemp_too_good_games_banner.jpg

What happens when "git gud" should actually occur and you ruin the game for yourself, or playing it with friends if it is a multiplayer (you are indeed now "that guy")? Similarly if games have taught people pattern recognition for sometimes decades then is it surprising when you get good at it and does that in turn break something you were enjoying?
    Today we are looking for examples of games you were enjoying but eventually you saw through the matrix or your grit and determination left you just that good and thus you no longer care to play it. Did you make any house rules, alternative play styles, cheats or similar to try to make it better?

Examples.
    One of my absolute favourite games on the DS was Puzzle Quest. It took the idea of "what if instead of epic battles in your fantasy RPG you instead won battles by doing a tile matching game" and ran with it. However then the pattern matching thing kicked in and I realised that if I saw a certain pattern of gems in the field which is theoretically random (in reality not so much, whether that is to make up for weak AI or an actual oversight I don't know) I actually knew the next seven or so optimal moves (some battles being less than that or decided by it), and then another optimal set for another common state, and another until I could almost do it on autopilot.

Another DS favourite is Tetris DS. I played the vs CPU as something to keep my hands busy when watching videos or something. Today it poses no challenge and I have to house rule myself, or go for another version.

Megadrive bomberman. I know there are better examples of battle mode but it was my main one and thus I still revert to it. However the thing where you wait for an enemy to come from above, know they will lay a bomb (or line thereof) and you go lower and trap them thus ending the confrontation does rather make it something of a one sided affair. Fortunately there are newer entries that follow the art style somewhat.

Charli, smallissue, zxr750j and 10 others like this.
  2. Discussion (105 replies)

3. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Super Mario World on the Snes, I can run through that entire game and barely get hit by anything.

smallissue, Ishzark, DarthDub and 6 others like this.
  4. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Have you tried any of the various ROM hacks, randomisers and such like?
    Or are you that good that is it not memory that carries you but reaction speed and knowledge of the mechanics?

5. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

United States
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and this is in no way bragging that I'm pro-MLG or whatever. It's just that when I play with one or two of my friends, if it's a 1v1 and I'm playing almost any character( we play random a lot ), then I end up destroying them or getting a lucky kill off of something we didn't think should've killed. Like I enjoy playing against people of similar skill level because I want to try and get better to win, but I end up playing dumb or just play gimmicks to try and win in a harder way. And normally playing like that ends up with me SDing a lot.

ekko25, smallissue, Seliph and 2 others like this.
  6. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    HOMM3, the AI is just so bad I always know how to cheese it.

smallissue, rimoJO and DinohScene like this.
  7. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Tetris, i can not play with my friends anymore

Metal64, gamefan5, smallissue and 4 others like this.
  8. Draxikor

Draxikor GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Xenoblade Chronicles Wii, the game becomes too easy after played it many times, now i use cheats to reduce the exp gained (about 75%) and the game is more challenging.

cearp likes this.
  9. Uiaad

Uiaad GBAtemp's resident guinea pig

United Kingdom
    This is actually an easy one ... Enter the Gungeon, I played that game maybe every day for about 6 months unlocking everything ... I got good to the point where I could finish the final boss (the lich) without taking a single hit. My one regret is I never got the perfect run but I have been close consistently it was always either the Beholster or the Killer pillars that ended my perfect runs

jeffyTheHomebrewer and DS1 like this.
  10. RedoLane

RedoLane Employed Punmaster

Israel
    A lot of Tetris variants became boring after a while. What was once a desire for difficulty, has become a desire for "this better have Master Mode".
    Tetris Effect is nice to look at, but It gets boring to do endless marathons on it.

Only Tetris The Grand Master 3 still gives me a tough time.

gamefan5 likes this.
  11. CPG

CPG C RING P OOP G UY

Canada
    mario kart wii, one of my friends owes me a new tv after what happened yesterday.

smallissue, Payne and Maq47 like this.
  12. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've seen way better so it prob is just muscle memory over nearly 30 years,ive only tried the base game. Randonisers sound fun though

13. ButThouMust

ButThouMust Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I got into doing various time-efficiency challenges in Majora's Mask a few years ago. Examples include getting to the moon after one three day cycle (not counting the first three days as a Deku), or getting the Fierce Deity Mask after two cycles.

I can't really play the game "casually" anymore because of this.

14. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

I'd say Star Fox 64 for me. I've played that game so many times by now that even didn't play it for like 10 years and then tried it again I'd probably still finish each level with a medal.

Wolcliff likes this.
  15. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    Fire Emblem Awakening or Three Houses. Unless you're playing on Lunatic+ mode, the game is so easy to break to pieces. Just get some good supports and pair ups/classes going and the game plays itself.

16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Silent Hill, Digimon Rumble Arena, Zelda - Link's Awakening, TF2, and Breath of the Wild. Splatoon 2 as well, because I feel like I'm the only ranked player that's TRYING to win on my team during matches.

17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    PvE in Soulsborne games, but specifically Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. I've got thousands and thousands of hours in all the Soulsborne games, but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 both I've put so much time into them that I just can't play them anymore and enjoy what I'm playing, it's just a chore at this point.

I was hoping the Demon's Souls "Remake" was going to actually change how the game played so I could scratch my Soulsborne itch, but they didn't "Remake" any of the actual gameplay mechanics so it was just same old same old as the PS3 version :(

Seliph likes this.
  18. Awesomeaustin316

United States
    Fable TLC. Thankfully there are mods to make it tougher but even then I beat it pretty easily. I've seen people say it's difficult and others say it's painfully easy, but I've played it into the ground so much I can't really tell which it actually is anymore.

That said I never ruined it for myself. I still love to replay it. It's just the first game that comes to mind when thinking of being too good at a game.

Last edited by Awesomeaustin316, May 11, 2021
    Subtle Demise and Just_reii like this.
  19. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Fan

Final Fantasy VIII I know how to exploit the GF system and have unbeatable team on disc 1. It is cool but the combat aspect of the game becomes a bit boring.

Crash Team Racing on the switch, no one want to play with me because I always win.

x65943 likes this.
  20. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    This is my problem with my current friend group and Project M

Now my family back home is still a challenge but I don't get to see them often enough

21. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my wife beat me once....ONCE..about 8 years ago and she still reminds me about it.

smallissue, RPG_Lover and x65943 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - yourself, ruined, Games