Games you gave up on

Deleted member 568892

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played Final Fantasy X but didn't find it entertaining enough to finish. Once I got up to a hard boss I gave up. In Assassin's Creed Valhalla there was way much stuff to do but I wasn't enjoying it that much so I stopped playing. Sometimes if a game is short I'll finish it even if I don't like it that much.

Reactions: ZipMartin

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majora's Mask. Countless times I went back and said "I'm going to play through this this time" only to fail. Beat I think two dungeons but always end up lost. To me it's one of the most confusing games even with a guide because of the stupid time restraint. I'm sure others find it easy but not me. I've beaten quite a few Zeldas including Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword, Ocarina, WInd Waker, Twilight Princess, LTTP, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Bloodborne. I like Dark Souls, but something about BB never caught my attention. Maybe it was the shaky framerate, or something about the level design.

Reactions: Xzi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gave up on is a tricky thing to define; given people can't even settle the debate on what is necessary to finish a game, and some go an awful lot further than that*, then tricky compared to most other entertainment types. Even more so if I ponder things I might have returned to after several years.

*for myself I am in the seemingly somewhat unpopular camp of not needing to finish a story, indeed several things I consider finished by myself I played 80% of the story for and then watched in video form (mostly because it kept crashing). I have about 90 hours in Skyrim but never learned a shout. Some people find that odd, however never finishing a story in GTA is somehow usually OK by them. I usually play RPGs like that anyway -- only really got anywhere in Might and Magic games because I stumbled backwards into the story quests having been basically everywhere else.

I also rarely feel anything like the "yeah I am done" thing I might get when abandoning a TV show**, film***, webcomic, book (though it is very rare I abandon a book, sometimes might not bother finishing a series though), youtube channel or similar.
**I never saw the last series of game of thrones, stopped Dexter at one point and considered that the end in my head, decided to watch ER in more recent times and eventually got to the point where that was not needing to be finished, of the various endless animes I tried watching I usually come to a comfortable end point for me.
***it is exceptionally rare I will turn off a film, though several I will start playing a game and turn to double speed for.

Perfect Dark Zero. I maintain Perfect Dark for the N64 (and nowadays remade in infinitely superior form for XBLA, granted I find most as on the N64 efforts to be unplayable blurry slideshows where many of the games hold up) to be one of the finished FPS titles ever made with loads of lessons to teach today's games (though a good chunk of that is 4 player split screen with bots and near endless customisability). As such I ignored the warning of my friend that I have played games with for over 20 years, whose collections largely match each other's (he has a disturbing fondness for Metal Gear Solid, and I am sure my fondness for space games disturbs him as much as it did when I was off playing Elite for many hours at a time) that it was not worth it. It was a 360 launch title so I can give it a bit of slack but it reaches the vaunted levels of offensively mediocre, which itself was an impressive feat as it is not like it was the first effort from an amateur team.

I barely play online games (online co-op, though again usually with people I have known for 20+ years at this point, only reason for not is because I have a few friends that are not yet old enough to have been playing for that long) and most of those usually last less time than it takes the average campaign for me to say I am done with this, seen what there is to see. To that end most things fade with a whimper, might be after a particularly bad session.

If we are doing board games. I have no desire to ever play Settlers of Catan again. Might well do it for someone I am teaching board games as it is an exceptionally good thing to break them out of Monopoly/Cluedo/Risk thing that most people assume board games are, however once mastered it holds little appeal. Such a teaching session is no more playing a game for fun than the usual "normally cards are hidden but for this we will go slow and have them face up". Did technically have a brief spell with it against AI when it appeared on consoles back in the 360 era but that was almost more me being interested in the AI.

Reactions: felix.200

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have so much games I never completed, either just beaten the story but not done everything, or never seen the ending, and some I begin and don't think they are worth my time.
There are also games I never played much or didn't complete due to missing time because another game I wanted more was released meanwhile, and I hope one day I'll complete them! but rarely go back... I guess This is the main reason for my uncompleted game backlog.
I also tend to want to 100% collect collectibles before completing a game, and end never completing it because I miss items... Sometime I give up looking for collectible and decide to end them, some I wanted to unlock all trophies but gave up too.
there are games I would consider "giving up" due to difficulty but always hoped to complete them, but I can't. These are frustrating to let them go.

Some I remember (there are too much to remember them all for the past 35 years):
- Star Ocean Till end of time (it became too difficult, at the point where you randomly die in 1 hit)
- Zelda BotW (I completed all the quests except the DLC... and therfore never went to Ganon)
- Dark Soul III (someone gift me that game, I never played any Soul game before. and I'm bad at it. I reached chapter2.. I think)
- Furi, or Geometry wars (I like games requiring dexterity, but I guess I'm not good enough. I can probably say the same with Rythm games, like NDS Rhythm paradise, Maestro, Theatrhythm, Thumper, etc.) I wish I was better at these games!
- Kingdom Hearts: reChain of memory Floor 12 (too hard, ennemy get harder, player stays the same power. too random due to ... ramdomly gained gamecards, if you are unlucky you get only poor cards. Also, I'm bad at choosing cards fast enough and staying alive).
I wanted to play the full KH series in order, but got stuck on second entry... forever. So I never went past Chain of memory...
And so many more. Backloggery says I have 28% unfinished games of 500+ unplayed (and 300+ completed).

The last game I "gave up" searching collectible and decided to go to the ending is Kena: Bridge of Spirits.
I'm missing 1 Rot, and probably 4 chests. (and no, I don't look at guides or videos or cheat in game to unlock things for me, it's not fun)
I also wanted to play in Hard, but found the bosses quite hard, I downgraded the difficulty to normal after 3 bosses... it's a sort of "giving up" on what I decided to achieve for that game. But, I'm getting old and bad at gaming I guess.

ah, I gave up after 3 years on the only MMO RPG I played : Ragnarok online
Because, you have to decide when to stop ! and that's when I gave up on MMO in general.

Last edited by Cyan,

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Recently I tried playing Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God since I wanted to get into the Madou Monogatari series but lost interest after about 2 hours of gameplay. I don't really enjoy RPGs but wanted to try it anyway.

Reactions: Phearoz

ZipMartin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I found Final Fantasy X so boring and for some reason I got really far, just one dungeon to finish the game. Maybe I felt like I had to play it, it being considered one of the best for so many...

Magna Carta had a very interesting battle system but the game's length is artificially extended with those corridors à la FFX which you have to go back and forth with separate groups and no possibility of going where the story doesn't lead you. I got really surprised when I found out I was only half way through.

I found Borderlands so repetitive. I regret playing so many stupid go-fetch side quests with useless rewards. When I got to the final part I never cared to go back.

These three are recent ones I have played and given up on. Recently I have decided to give closure to unfinished games I abandoned by watching a video of someone else finishing them in order to avoid going back one day just to give up again, something that has happened more than enough in the past (FFX being one of those). I have watched the end of FFX and Magna Carta, still got to see Borderlands'.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've never made it past kakariko village in OOT and probably never will
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with this. I can't beat the spider boss inside the tree.
Another game I gave up on immediately was the sequel. The moon keeps hitting me because I don't know what to do in the town I start off in. Fuck that game. And any other game with timed sections.

HippyJ3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The only game I never finished that I've started was Final Fantasy XIII, I find the paradigm shift battle system tremendously boring as hell cuz I can't even make my own decisions in battle (the abilities are preset) additionally the dungeons and towns are very linear like I'm playing an on-rails RPG going from point A to point B without freedom of exploring, very boring indeed. This game should have been called Final Hallway 13.

Reactions: AncientBoi

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
AC Unity and AC Syndicate, played like 5 hours in both and totally got bored by the lack of Naval Combat. My 1st AC game was AC-3, and I only bought it coz in the reviews I saw the epic naval battles.

AC-4 Black Flag was awesome ofcourse, again due to the epic naval battles. Nothing like going for a quick raid against a lone Frigate and two minutes later realize there are 5 Brigs busy raming you while 2 Man O Wars are bracketing the area with mortar fire all the while funneling you into the Broadside fire of 3 or 4 Figates. Epic!

GTA-5, I never got past the Trevor intro scene where he's busy banging that meth-head chick, that scene was so disgusting that I literally almost vomited.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Final Fantasy XV. Why? Because the game used imperial instead of metric and there's no way to switch measuring systems without changing the language to anything other than English (at least on PS4 last time I checked). I know it's an absurd reason but my brain just shuts down whenever I have to deal with that while in a game.

DudderButter

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monopoly, the board game. My family has so many versions of it. Farmopoly, Birdopoly, oh and don't forget the credit card one! Each time one of them cranks one out, I internally die. For the life of me, I cannot win a single game because my brother somehow always buys the property I always land on. I forfeit the moment that happens because I can never pick myself up from the loss.

If we're talking video games on the other hand...

I'll admit to say I gave up with Majora's Mask after the second dungeon. I got a bit lost of what to do next and never picked it up again. The three-day limit always made me anxious, too. This is one of the only games that made me extremely anxious whenever the next day would come, and I would end up resetting the clock and trying to do a dungeon or side-quest again.

The original Kingdom Hearts is a chore. I started playing it during the summer of this year and just stopped. It's exhausting and the slowest game I had ever played. The last world I completed was the whale? I had to look it up to make sure that it's name was Monstro. I want to get through this game, as I would like to get myself into the KH series. But I don't know how I'm supposed to when the first installment is like this!

GTA IV. Another slow and apparently long game. It's been a while since I last touched it. I have no idea where I left off, but I remember hating driving around Liberty City. And that's kind of a vital asset.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So many... off the top of my head:

-Final Fantasy 7 (The original) - Unplayable to me. Even back in the day, I thought that those blocky models looked terrible. The "modern" setting didn't help it either.

-Breath of Fire 3 - I must have tried playing this game like 3 times, only to quit in some lighthouse section.

-Unlimited SaGa - Worst game I've ever touched when it comes to mechanics/gameplay loop. other than meme games.

-Starbound - Seems like an innovative, space-Terraria, but just lacks that charm (and world maps).

-Stardew Valley - Working for the sake of working in a game. Rune Factory at least gives some plot and meaning to the secondary farming stuff.

-Zelda-like games - I really dislike all the backtracking/gaming style. Link's Awakening DX was the closest I got to finishing one. (7 temples)

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy XV. Why? Because the game used imperial instead of metric and there's no way to switch measuring systems without changing the language to anything other than English (at least on PS4 last time I checked). I know it's an absurd reason but my brain just shuts down whenever I have to deal with that while in a game.

I keep a list of games I want to play through and Final Fantasy XV is at #6 right now (although that really doesn't mean anything because I change the order whenever I feel like it) But I find that game to be pretty boring. I've only played 4 hours and it feels like 40. Not even sure why I feel the need to play through it at all but I still do for some reason.

I still have Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI and Suikoden 2 on my list (it's a long list) but those are games I end up giving up on easily. So I'm not sure if I ever decide "I'm never playing this game again" if I haven't beaten the story, but those are examples of games I probably won't try again just because they frustrate me, or if I do I'm not sure the results will be different.

Also Chrono Cross I have no idea where the go I'm on this boat on an island and it doesn't give you any indication of where to go it's after Surge and the bad guy switch how they look. It's a save state from an emulator and I can't remember what the next objective is at all. I try different areas and just roam around lost then try another area same thing. It's been this way for like 6 years. I've beaten some rpgs but some of them just frustrate me.

Last edited by Jayinem,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Why? There was a part where a certain skill was required to progress (ancient knowledge level 3 or something) to get into a deep dungeon later in game. The game made no mention of the importance of this, or how to properly level up said skill, so I decided to ragequit. Maybe I'll go back, but it just pissed me off.

AsWeGoAlong14

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ronandpeggy.carrd.co
XP
Country
Australia
Pretty much every Super Mario game I've ever picked up (except for 3D world). The layout of the games just really aren't for me, because I'm always trying to backtrack in my games, which you can't really do in Mario. I always feel like I'm missing something and need to go back and check, but how will I do that if I am forced to keep going right??? Grrrrrr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo