Games you enjoy but can't beat

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Putting a game down you don't like is easy.
But what if there is a game you enjoy but you just can't beat it.

This thread is for sharing your frustration and potentially receiving tips from other users.

Let me start:
Rhythm Heaven for Wii
I like all the levels prior to the Monkey Watch level, but I lack the skill to keep the rhythm going when the purple monkeys show up. There is a youtube video* in which some people do it better on the first try and beat the level in less than 10min. I don't play any instruments (not sure if it is relevant). Very frustrating.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
D

Deleted User

Nah... Rythm Heaven for the Wii is a bit boring to me.

One game that I truly enjoy but can't beat...
Would be Tetris from TENGEN. The NES one.

I can't get past level 40 or so.
I also love Magic Jewelry. Although... this one doesn't has an ending per-sé... but sure I enjoy it a lot.
Which other one...? I'd say something more modern like SONIC from the Genesis games. Hate them but love them at the same time. Too fast for my liking.
And... maybe... Contra III. I like it, but can't beat it on HARD difficulty. I've only achieved that once, but that was a long time ago.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I find putting games down pretty easy whether I like them or not.

I rarely "beat" a game. But, then, a lot of the games I play aren't really the type you can beat, anyway.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I find putting games down pretty easy whether I like them or not.

I rarely "beat" a game. But, then, a lot of the games I play aren't really the type you can beat, anyway.
I was going to write somewhat the same thing. Plenty of games don't have a clear end goal (multiplayer and puzzle games, mostly), and even the games that do feature an end state often have so much sidequests and extra objectives that it's debatable when you truly beat them. Heck...rocksmith 2014 has somewhat of a campaign, but when do you really "beat" a game like that? Playing 'through the fire and flames' without fault? Or 'just' better than the actual band? :P

And there's somewhat of the opposite as well: virtual board games, for example, are played in relatively short sessions. You can quickly burn through many of them if you consider "winning" as "beating the game" (especially if you pick the ones where the AI isn't up to snuff).

Ahem...so just to say: I can name plenty of games. I'd even nominate my own favorite game, UT2004. It had a campaign, but since it's a multiplayer shooter I literally refused to finish the campaign for years.

...nonetheless, I think the game I'm currently playing qualifies even more on the criteria: Santorini.

Santorini is a board game app that is very simple in nature. You and your opponents each take turns moving one of your two pawns in any direction (at most up one floor, and not into someone else) and then building a floor next to that pawn. The winner is the first who manages to climb to the third floor (or manages to completely trap the opponent).
It has 5 AI skill levels. The usual game convention would have the lowest skill play as a toddler. In this game, the AI is one I'd still occasionally lose to. Itching out a win over an AI one or two levels higher is a (serious) achievement. I've yet to even manage to get close to a win on anything higher.

But it's worse than "just" the game having AI that makes alphago blush. you see, the above game description is the base version. However, you usually each pick a starting power that remains with you for the entire game. There are a few dozen types of powers...and every single one changes the basic game in an almost completely completely different way. So I'm not just NOT winning...I'm in the position that even if I ever manage to scrape out a win against the best AI (probably after hell froze over)...then I can still look forward to restart attempting to learn to play against an entire different playing field. :P
The game itself is great, though. Just...I don't think I'll live long enough to ever come close to what you can consider "beating" the game. :P

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Baldur's Gate (whole series). I like the game but I always end up restarting because I like changing my main character's class/classes/race. I've finished the original trilogy once but the I've tried like 20 times at this point to finish the Enhanced Edition Trilogy with mods.

Last edited by fvig2001,

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
and even the games that do feature an end state often have so much sidequests and extra objectives that it's debatable when you truly beat them.
I agree. I e.g. played a ton of Skyrim but couldn't finish because of a bug (a door would not open; had no save files that go back far enough), so it bothered me that I didn't finish it in the classical sense (until the credits roll).

Other games: Metroid series. I love the atmosphere and action but I get lost way too often and sometimes can't progress even if I look a walkthrough. That's why I actually like Other M (much easier in knowing what to do).

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales of Maj'Eyal (tbh I haven't felt like I had the time to get really into it, but it's still fun) (also free on author's site)

P

pasc

Majoras Mask. Good game, but the pacing feels off. Can't really get into it.

OOT was amazing though. Even replaying it on WiiUs VC right now.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
TBH I can't really think of anything, if I enjoy a game I'm going to finish it one way or another, unless it has no real ending.

There are some games that I'll only beat once and then never finish again, though. Factorio, for example, is one that I've hit the ending in once, but all my other playthroughs have been more about just playing around than getting to the end.

A lot of my Soulsborne playthroughs are also like that, I've beaten all the games dozens of times for sure, but I've gone through them hundreds and hundreds of times without hitting the end.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Majora's Mask 3D, feels very cool and creepy, flow is good, ant the lore is amazing, but seriously. Getting all 24 masks is HARD lol
Well, you can consider those a side quest. ;) I did get all the masks in the original but I haven't played the remake. Is there one in particular you have trouble with?

I can add another game to the list (although I haven't given up hope yet):

Takt of Magic (Wii)
Has anyone beaten the final boss?
Seems impossible to me. However, I haven done all the bonus quests yet. Maybe there is a spell I'm not considering yet.
EDIT: I did it! After 20-30 attempts... The ending is unbelievable. If somebody is interested in how it's done, write me. I couldn't find videos or walkthroughs of that game. BTW even if you are not able to understand the story, the language barrier should not prevent you from playing this game (hints regarding controls or objective are shown on screen).

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The entire Ghost's n' Goblins series. I love all of the games, but I haven't beaten a single one. Certainly not to the point of going through the whole game twice to get the true ending.

Tipps won't help me here, those games are made to be near impossible to beat.

Hmm, I never 100% finished Banjo-Tooie because I can't beat that damn Canary Mary race without breaking my controller (and my hands).

But I'm happy to say that I can finish Zombies ate my Neighbors nowadays. The giant spider was a show stopper for me as a child, but now I know that you have to use the plates on it.

Edit:
I could also add Skyrim to the list of games I never beat, but then again, I didn't enjoy it all that much. I really wanted to enjoy it, but the combat felt clunky and lacked feedback and most of the dungeons were copy and paste jobs of similar looking corridors.

Last edited by Reynardine,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Skyrim, spent [insert any digits] of hours and still can't beat it, GUESS no one posses the power to complete that game.

Another one is Overwatch, no matter how you GIT GUD, there's always a no life virgin who's better than you.

P.s. btw, @UltraDolphinRevolution ,i see chinese flag there, how do you think about this time Kongkongers' protest??

Last edited by leon315,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards