Games with great story lines?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Fudge, Aug 15, 2010.

Aug 15, 2010

Games with great story lines? by Fudge at 12:23 AM (1,706 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Fudge
    OP

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I'm looking for a game with a great story. It can be for Wii or DS.

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Which type of games are you interested in? RPG? Action?

3. Loop

Member Loop GBAtemp Regular

United States
    'The World Ends with You' on the DS
    great story and fun game too!

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Ugh, the story on that was meh, people just loved it because it was spattered Japanese culture references. Story was different but it certainly wasn't great. The characters were also very average.

There's some point and click games out there that are supposed to have good stories, can't vouch for them myself though.

Unfortunately the Wii is far behind in terms of games with story compared to 360/PS3. Not many games can compete with Mass Effect in terms of stories, for example.

5. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    My girlfriend and I loved the story in both uncharted games on PS3? Anything on Wii at that level or close?

6. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Ace Attorney! The story is just great

7. Loop

Member Loop GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That was helpful, Guild.

8. Revolution [9]

Member Revolution [9] GBAtemp Regular

United States
    TWEWY had an alright story. It wasn't good, but it wasn't bad. I liked the whole music theme to it though.

You could play Ocarina of Time on Wiiware. That games never gets old. Or Kingdom Hearts 358/2, but it's only interesting if you've played its PS2 counterparts.
    If you have a 360, try Bioshock. The concept was pretty interesting with the theme of choices.

9. OtakuGamerZ

Member OtakuGamerZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    on Wii, Phantom Brave
    on DS, Ace Attorney

10. trigger_ftu

Member trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

United States
    cod:WAW and MW, metroid prime trilogy, kingdom hearts (for the ds), dragon quest 9 (another ds game), Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, ff4 (ds game and snes they might have it on virtual console), paper mario (the wii game not the gc game). thats about it on the good story line games on my list lol. those are ones i enjoy alot of. (btw i do play the story mode before playing online(for teh COD:WAW and MW))

11. BloodyFlame

Member BloodyFlame GBAtemp Fan

United States
    For the DS, what about Professor Layton? Great puzzles and a pretty decent story.

12. Guild McCommunist

United States
    OH GOD ALLEN YOU WOULD LIKE TWEWY OH GOD. AND KINGDOM HEARTS OH GOD.

Bioshock has an alright story. I gave it a whirl not too long ago. I thought the gameplay was very meh but the atmosphere was really nice.

How could I forget GTA: Chinatown Wars. It's kinda silly but the narrative isn't too bad. Plus it's like one of the best GTA games ever. DS version or iPhone version are the ones to get.

This is the only time I'll suggest a Final Fantasy game for anything but Final Fantasy IV isn't half bad in terms of story and narrative. To date it's the only Final Fantasy game I've played that has good characters and a good storyline. Gameplay can be a little dated though but still works.

13. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Once again, i'm no fan of the Japanese and I loved The World Ends With You. You seem to have VERY little you can actually bash the game with. Cop out arguments like "LULZ IT R HAZ JAPAN REFRANCES" aren't going to cut it. Who gives a fuck if it's based in Japan. They aren't going to base it in god damn America, it's a jRPG.
    The characters were all unique and interesting (they aren't one dimensional), and the story did very well to have quite a large bit of depth, despite it being a DS game with limited length.

Also Mass Effect has a horrible and boring story. Which is funny, because it's almost 90% dialogue.

For an actual Wii game,

Arc Rise Fantasia.
    It somewhat-recently came out.

The story is fairly interesting, and the plot twists hit you like a sack of mountains. It's ridiculous, but awesome.
    The voice acting isn't as bad as people say. Any character that joins, or guests in your party has good enough voice actors. They aren't super professional and yes they could be better, but they aren't bad. Ryfia (the main female) gets bashed for her voice acting (I myself thought "oh god" when i first started), but after you play for a bit you really start to feel like her voice acting fits right in with who she is as a character.

The only truly bad voice actors are a lot of minor characters who don't have a lot of voice roles, and the prince in charge of the Meridian empire has a gay lisp and it drives you crazy in serious scenes.

The gameplay itself is also pretty spectacular. It takes quite a long time to actually unlock all of the little bits and bobbles for it too. It's turn based, but actually fun.

I could go on and on. Just try it, it's fun.

14. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Well, I just finished DQIX:SSS today and thought that it had a GREAT storyline. It kept me playing for hours and hours. [​IMG]

15. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Tales of Graces. Curse the publisher of the tales for daring to release it on PS3 when it has yet to even release in the US on the Wii version. Simply the made it a lower chance for localization on the westeren side similiar to the Tales of Vesperia where they released it on Xbox360&PS3. It had a english release atleast on the xbox360, but the release on PS3 was after the release on xbox.

There should be a translation team somewhere translating Tales of Graces at a extremely speed i believe.

16. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    There is, http://www.talesofgraces.com/

17. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    No more heroes 1 and 2. ( Wii )
    Metroid prime trilogy ( sucks you right in...)
    Zelda3-A link to the past ( SNES - VC )
    Zelda- Ocarina of time ( N64 - VC )
    Zelda- Twilight princess ( Wii )
    Zelda - Phantom Hourglass ( DS )
    Zelda - Spirit tracks ( DS )
    Secret of mana ( SNES - VC )
    Final fantasy - the after years ( Wiiware )
    Overlord ( Wii )
    Resident Evil 4 ( Wii )
    Okami ( Wii )

18. resincake

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Another Code R (Wii) has a story that is interesting and the game really utilises that to its benefit.

Also, broken Sword, Secret Files : Tunguska, Metroid prime 1 or 3, Prince of persia (both Wii versions have good involving stories, but Wii controls are much better implemented in the latest one) and also Twilight Princess (once the story gets going it really involves you and makes you want to achieve the best you can for your player, Link).

Theres a load more, but these are the ones that stick out for me.

:>

19. hughjass

Member hughjass GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    +10000000 for Another Code R!!

And also +1 for the Secret Files games (both 1 & 2), they are great fun. Broken Sword directors cut is pretty good too. Super Paper Mario is awesome too.

Oh and for DS? There's TONS, but for starters how about:

Mario & Luigi Games
    Hotel Dusk
    Another Code Two Memories
    Magical Starsign
    Contact

20. Guild McCommunist

United States
    ...What? I'm sorry, if you think Mass Effect has a bad story then you clearly have no sense of stories. Maybe 90% of the story is through dialogue, a lot of it optional character development, but so what, a good story is a good story. It doesn't need flashy cutscenes to convey the story. Simply put it has a great story and the cast is one of the greatest, due to how much involvement you have with them and how your relationships grow based on your actions. I seem to agree with you on most tastes in video games but not here.

For the record, TWEWY also had a terrible battle system.

I did like No More Heroes in terms of storyline and characters but in an action flick sorta way. The first one is so much better in terms of story and bosses anyway, the second one tried to be more serious and add a "sensitive" side to Travis which seemed really stupid, especially seeing how much of a egotistical prick they made him in the first game. One awesome, egotistical prick. But of course they randomly kill a minor character and throw more female bosses and now Travis is sensitive. [​IMG]