Games with great customization features...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Mac2492, May 5, 2008.

May 5, 2008
  1. Mac2492
    OP

Member Mac2492 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've been picking out DS games that allow players to customize their characters to a great extent. Here's my list of games with the best/most customization features.

Note: I may or may not start adding in screenshots and additional information. It really depends on whether people would be interested in them or not.

<b><i><u>Updates</b></i></u>
    May 5, 2008: Started list, adding short descriptions, added simple "customization ratings".
    May 6, 2008: Added more games, fixed minor errors.
    May 7, 2008: Added more class information, tweaked some ratings.

<b><i><u>Format</b></i></u>

<b>Game</b> <i>(Gameplay)</i> <i>(Extra Information)</i>: Customizable Aspects
    <b>New: Sequel/Expansion news goes here.</b>
    <i>Customization Rating: X/10 (Comment on customization)</i>

<b><i><u>List</b></i></u>

<b>Animal Crossing: Wild World</b> <i>(Real-Time, Top-Down, Casual/Social</i>: Players can decorate their own towns, homes, and characters. Decorations can be pre-made designs, or custom-drawn by the player!
    <i>Customization Rating: 8/10 (The customization is great, but it's mostly aesthetic. A hand-drawn magician hat is the same as a blank hat in every way but appearance.)</i>

<b>Custom Robo Arena</b> <i>(Real-Time, Top-Down, Fighting [One-on-One])</i>: Customize robot model, guns, pods, bombs, and legs. Each robot model has different speeds, attack power, defense, and abilities. Each gun fires differently and has different stats. Different pods and bombs create different types of explosions, fire different amounts of explosive, and have different stats. Different legs give different movement bonuses/penalties.
    <i>Customization Rating: 9/10 (There are many, many parts to customize. The game loses one point because many of the parts become useless later on, and many of the pods/bombs are so similar that you will almost surely pick one or two favorites and never switch them off unless you are forced to.)</i>

<b>Mega Man Star Force</b> <i>(Real-Time, Third Person, Left/Right Movement Only, Grid-Based)</i>: Build custom "decks" with battle chips. Six chips (each one does something different, such as firing a cannon) are randomly selected (at a time) from your deck in battle.
    <i>Customization Rating: 6/10 (In terms of customization features, this game is a step down from some of the Megaman Battle Network games [which at least had the navi-customizer]. The only way to distinguish your character is through deck creation.)</i>
    <b>Note: Mega Man Star Force 2 has been announced and given an English release date of June 17, 2008. New forms will be introduced.</b>

<b>Daigasso! Band Brothers</b> <i>(Music/Rhythm)</i> <i>(Import, <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=69856" target="_blank">Translation Available</a>)</i>: Compose tracks for the game with a powerful in-game song editor. Songs can have up to eight tracks. Each track may have a different instrument assigned. Tempo and key may be chosen. The game also includes a unique editor (and somewhat different gameplay) for drums. Up to eight songs can be stored.
    <b>News: Daigasso! Band Brothers DX has been announced! This will add new instruments, downloadable songs, karaoke mode, a guitar to strum, and more.</b>
    <i>Customization Rating: NULL (It's a music game... You can add in your own music. The customization possibilities are endless. That said, it's difficult to say whether this is customization or content creation.)</i>

<b>Draglade</b> <i>(Real-Time, Side-Scrolling Battles, Fighting [One-on-One and Monsters])</i>: Bring up to six "bullets" (each one does something different, such as shooting a fireball) into battle, as well as compose short tunes that are used in "beat combos".
    <b>New: Draglade 2 has been announced! There will be new characters.</b>
    <i>Customization Rating: 7/10 (Only bullets and beat combos are customizable. The nine characters in the game still have fixed movesets.)</i>

<b>Dungeon Explorer</b> <i>(Real-Time, Top-Down, Hack and Slash)</i>: Pick one of nine different characters (Oros Hunter [Bows], Oros Warrior [Swords], Oros Mage [Rods/Magic], Taratta Hunter [Throwing Weapons], Taratta Warrior [Axes/Claws], Taratta Mage [Sickle/Magic], Emporos Hunter [Guns], Emporos Warrior [Blunt Weapons], Emporos Mage [Dagger/Magic]) and one of eight schools (Lion, Scarab, Snake, Moon, Axe, Meteor, Skull, Bird). Any character can choose any school. All characters and schools have skills and attributes that are unique to them. Players can customize equipment, skills, and stats freely.
    <i>Customization Rating: 7.5/10 (Characters are given many choices in terms of skill selection and equipment selection. The problem is that weapons are restricted to certain classes. This is somewhat made up for later in the game where characters are allowed to do something related to schools [Avoiding spoilers].)</i>

<b>Etrian Odyssey</b> <i>(Turn-Based, First-Person, Role-Playing)</i>: Create a party of five characters. There are nine classes (Landsknecht [Multi-Hitting Powerhouse], Survivalist [Status Enhancer], Protector [Balanced Warrior and Healer], Dark Hunter [Offensive Debuffer], Medic [Healer], Alchemist [Spell-Caster], Troubadour [Buffer], Ronin [Fast Power-Attacker], Hexer [Support Debuffer]) to choose from, and two characters of the same class can function quite differently. Players can customize equipment and skills freely.
    <b>Note: Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard has been announced and given an English release date of June 24, 2008. Two new classes (Gunner and Shaman) were added, among many other new features.</b>
    <i>Customization Rating: ???</i>

<b>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates</b> <i>(Real-Time, Top-Down, Hack and Slash)</i>: Players can choose from four different races (Clavat [Balanced Warrior], Lilty [Alchemist/Warrior], Selkie [Archer], Yuke [Magician]) and customize equipment. Worn equipment is shown in-battle!
    <i>Customization Rating: 5/10 (Kept on the list for the sheer number of items to wear, along with the fact that they display in-game.)</i>

<b>Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift</b> <i>(Turn-Based, Top-Down, Strategy)</i> <i>(English Release Date = June 24, 2008)</i>: Switch between a wide array of jobs (over 50 total among all the races) for individual units. Skills from other classes can be carried over. Players can customize equipment and skills freely.

<b>Front Mission</b> <i>(Turn-Based, Top-Down, Strategy</i>: Wanzer (mech) body, arms, weapons, and legs can be customized. CPU (boosts stats) and Backpack (adds inventory space and stats) may also be customized. Wanzer color may be changed as well.

<b>Jump! Ultimate Stars</b> <i>(Real-Time, Side-Scrolling, Fighting)</i>) <i>(Import, <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=71200" target="_blank">Translation Available</a>)</i>: Build a deck using komas. This game is based on the various mangas from the Shonen Jump! magazine. Each character in the game has komas ranging in size from 1-8. Size 1 komas simply provide passive bonuses. Size 2 and 3 komas can be used in battle to do various things (summon a character to attack or heal, for example). Size 4-8 komas are battle characters, which can actually be controlled in battle. (The customization is all in the deck-building and the crafting of your own unique fighting style...)

<b>Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl</b> <i>(Turn-Based, Role-Playing, Monster Catching)</i>: Form a team of six Pokémon (out of several hundred!). Each Pokémon is unique (some attributes are even hidden) and can have up to four moves. Pokémon can be breed, traded, trained, etc...

<b>Soma Bringer</b> <i>(Real-Time, Top-Down, Hack and Slash)</i> <i>(Import, <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=78947" target="_blank">Translation Available)</a></i>: Pick a race (character), class (Battlers [Offensive Melee], Corps [Balanced Melee + Support Magic], Darks [Melee + Dark Magic], Gunners [Long Range + Traps], Kampfs [Melee Combos + Powerful Skills], Somas [Elemental Magic]), and starting weapon (Two-Handed Swords, Two-Handed Swords, Dual Swords, Spears, Bows, Guns, Fists, Two-Handed Sticks, and Canes). Each class specializes in different weapons and has four unique skill trees (about ten skills per tree). Players can customize equipment, skills, and stats freely.

<b>The World Ends With You</b> <i>(Real-Time, Side-Scrolling, Plane Movement (Bottom Screen), Linear Attacks (Top Screen), Beat'em Up/Role-Playing)</i>: Wear up to six "pins" (each one does something different and utilizes the touch screen or microphone, such as allowing you to draw lines to create walls of fire... there are over 300 pins total). There is a large variety of clothing for players to equip.

<b><i><u>Unsure</b></i></u>

<b>Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker</b>

<b>Drawn to Life</b>

<b>Drone Tactics</b>

<b>Final Fantasy IV</b>

<b>Rune Factory</b>

<b>Rune Factory 2</b>

<b>Summon Night: Twin Age</b>

<b><i><u>Notes</b></i></u>

1) Customization ratings simply state how <i>customizable</i> a game it. They do not state how good or bad a game is! Thus, I could give the game a lower customization rating because it has a hundred different characters with fixed movesets. Obviously this would be amazing. It's just not customizable. I determined these ratings by coming up with a simple ratio between the customizable gameplay elements and the overall amount of gameplay elements. If a game has two buttons with one of them being completely customizable and the other being fixed to a certain function, the game would get a customization rating of 5/10 or 50%. Of course, it's hard to do this with more complicated games. If you feel that my rating is off, feel free to post about it. Also, any games with a rating below 5/10 will be most likely removed because they don't allow for *great* customization.

2) The comments after the customization ratings may not (and probably won't) be very informative. Look at the paragraph before (where I state all the customizable elements) if you want details.

<b><i><u>To Do</b></i></u>

1) Add in customization ratings for games. <i>(Started)</i>

2) Link to customization videos of the games.

<b><i><u>Other</b></i></u>
    I think I'm going to leave out games that aren't highly customizable, since this is supposed to be a list of games with *great* customization. It would be silly to add in "Game A" because it lets you change your name, for example. I'm looking for the cream of the crop in terms of customization.

(So... Pokémon is in, Digimon is out. If you want to know why, just search for IVs and EVs on Google or Serebii.net and you will find your answer.)

I plan on adding more, so keep coming back! Oh, and thanks for the comments!

2. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Custom Robo Arena is the first one that came to my mind. It's about the most customizeable game around, when you consider the hundreds of different combinations of robots, legs, guns, pods, etc.

3. Mac2492
    OP

United States
    Yeah, Custom Robo Arena had me hooked until I unlocked every single part. The only problem I had with it is that many of the parts become completely irrelevant later on, greatly reducing the variety in builds that are actually viable. Basically, I'm saying that some of the parts were obviously designed to be better than others (typical of RPGs). This is okay, but it slightly dampens the fun-factor in multiplayer, especially because there is no stat/bonus system that you can use to make up for inherently weak weapons. This is especially noticeable when it comes to legs parts, bombs, and pods. Chances are, you are going to stick with one (or no more than three) of those types of parts once you have everything unlocked.

That said, the game is a lot of fun.

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles allow you to chnge your appearance based on the gear you equipped including weapons, armor, helmets, ect.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Nobody has mentioned Pokemon?

Really?

6. Mac2492
    OP

United States
    I couldn't decide whether Pokémon was a customizable game or not. If I add it in, I'll have to add in all the other monster catching games as well. =/

What do you guys think about this? If I add in Pokémon, I'll just put it in a separate category with all the other monster catching games.

7. Gian

Member Gian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Customization?
    Customization!?

Animal Crossing bleeds customization.
    Oh, and you might as well put all the Yu-Gi-Oh games - customizing the deck and all.

8. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yu-Gi-Oh. But I never really played it so...

EDIT: Missed the above post, sorry. ^

9. wiidsguy

Member wiidsguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The sims 2 is a great one

10. Mac2492
    OP

United States
    I think I'm going to leave out games that aren't highly customizable, since this is supposed to be a list of games with *great* customization. It would be silly to add in "Game A" because it lets you change your name, for example. I'm looking for the cream of the crop in terms of customization.

(So... Pokémon is in, Digimon is out. If you want to know why, just search for IVs and EVs on Google or Serebii.net and you will find your answer.)

Also, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates is VERY close to being out. It's a great game, but the customization isn't really spectacular.

I've never played it, so I may have trouble writing a proper description.

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    All three of them?

12. ZeroEXE93

United States
    Nintendogs! =]

13. wiidsguy

United States
    The Sims 2 in a nut shell- You a a young man or women and you get stuck in the desert and must help them by rebuilding the hotel, you have control over every room in the hotel, also you can make your own ring tone, and music for the dance hall and other rooms.

you will build on to your hotel as time goes on in real time, it take 8 hours to build a room so that means in 8 hours it will be built, you have to help the people around and you have a real time limit,

Ex. if some one gets in a freezer and needs to get out you have one hour, also you have to do thing at certin times, you have control over almost everything, you can do side missions and just thing for fun like go metal decting, and more like save the town from aliens that will come,

the story is funnny and the gameplay is very additing you will pick it up and wont put it down, till you have to build a room, 8 hours is a long time.

here you go hope this can help sorry about the spelling

14. Mac2492
    OP

United States
    That sounds decent, but what about the customization? [​IMG]

15. ZeroEXE93

United States
    You can customize them to an extent. Room renovation, different dog species, teaching different tricks, etc.

16. wiidsguy

United States
    The whole game is, you build a hotel, you buy the stuff to put in it, and yea, there is a ton to do and see and play it, it is great. there are even games in the game to play to waste time with.

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    There are four Yu-Gi-Oh games for DS, and you would obviously only count the latest.

The FMA TCG sucks to the point that its not worth listing.

18. Mac2492
    OP

United States
    I'm not listing games based on how good they are, though. I'm listing them based on how customizable they are. If that Fullmetal Alchemist Trading Game has deck-building functions similar to the Yu-Gi-Oh! games, I have to include it if I include Yu-Gi-Oh! games. >,>

19. wiidsguy

United States
    Here read this review on ign.com and go play it,

20. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    TWEWY has great customization.

300+ pins. Tons of clothes.