Games which "wrecked" your youth or didn't make you meet your potential?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Flame, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    So which games which you spent way too much time on, by doing that one last level or seconds of play. when you should have being doing your homework, or learning something useful which would have taken your to that next level in life.

The irony is my youth was spent looking for good "potential" footballers on Championship Manager which is Football Manager now.

Don't get it twisted, I am doing very well in life. Thinking about if I should do Ph.D. but I feel if I didn't spend so much hours on simulation on football, I would be the Einstein or Isaac Newton or our time :P maybe not... but what I'm trying to get to is if I didn't waste my time on game(s) which consumed some much time, which I don't even play anymore, cause a new version comes every year with a better "match engine" which seems the same to me.

in science I have got anything below 99%
    in maths about 90%
    Computing 100%

in English tho... oh english oh english wherefore art thou english

Last edited by Flame, Sep 21, 2015
    Margen67 and HaloEffect17 like this.
  2. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Oh boy, it was the Pokemon RPGs for sure...

Flame and VinsCool like this.
  3. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Nothing. Thanksfully?

I'm sure that wouldn't have made any differences.

Flame, Margen67 and HaloEffect17 like this.
  4. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    Each time i find a great game to play i have to sacrifice something in order to enjoy it.

But absolutely worth it.

ComeTurismO, Flame, Margen67 and 2 others like this.
  5. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    We talentless folks don't have to worry about silly things like potential. It doesn't matter how many games we play, we'll still be failures in the end. Thank god there are things like Bachelor's of Arts degrees and federal and state pensions after 20 years for cake jobs.

Flame likes this.
  6. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    I don't think games have wrecked my schoolwork too much but they've definitely wrecked my sleep cycle. :wtf:

HaloEffect17 and Flame like this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Games have only been an improvement for me. My favourite being when Goldeneye taught me security camera sensing.

I think one time I played too much Morrowind instead of doing any revising and had to actually make an effort in the exam.

On the other hand I was always destined to be a layabout lacking any useful skills for the time period I find myself living in.

Flame likes this.
  8. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I never had a game that ruined my youth or potential. I excelled in English because of it, and it probably helped me with problem solving.
    What ruined my youth and potential was the teachers. I was so bored of everything, and underachieved. That's why I feel so strongly for GCP now. Look it up!

VinsCool and Flame like this.
  9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Oh god DBZ Budokai 1/2/3 MMBN 3/4/5 and Wild Arms 3

Flame likes this.
  10. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    Games that wrecked my youth? Dodge Ball. I didn't know how to dodge, dip, dive, duck, or dodge so I ended up getting a lot of balls thrown in my face. I was really tall and wide though so I was an easy target. I was also especially bad at kick ball.

In video games? Sonic 3. That damn barrel of doom kept me from beating my favorite game of ALL time... for almost ALL time. I managed to beat it 15+ years later when I learned that all I had to do was press up and down :|

HaloEffect17, Flame and shaunj66 like this.
  11. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    For a non-English speaker I can see how it will help, but for an English speaker could mess with your head as a young kid imo which so. for a long time I thought all my base Belong to them.