Games that you thought you would enjoy

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Edragon, Feb 14, 2009.

Feb 14, 2009
  1. Edragon
    OP

Member Edragon GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    well. in my case it is FFIV. i dont know. may be it just me but i dont like it that much :S

2. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Final Fantasy IV... my favorite RPG ruined by breaking of boss battles down into cheap hits if you dont' follow a script.

3. CAMILEonFORLYF

Newcomer CAMILEonFORLYF Advanced Member

United States
    FFIV.. but maybe i have to try playing it again..

4. xxRAG3

Member xxRAG3 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    definitely, but for different reasons. Systems are extremely messed up, and to actually be able to do well in the game, you have to find every goddamn augment, give it to the right characters (or no dualcast) etc. etc. I ended up cheating for augments.

5. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i would also say ffiv. never played it before, but i expected a lot, and it failed to deliver

6. TanookiSuit

United States
    You know that's a fantastic point I had forgotten. I found out how right you were once I started picking away at the Tower of Babil going after Rubicante. Up to that point it wasn't too bad, but a few fights back with like Lugae and stuff it got really shitty because I didn't have specific lame finder augments you need to an f'n graphical guide to find with pictures on some of em. You can work around those to where I was with some extra leveling but I can only imagine how much worse it is once the moon comes up. Still the most common are the bosses or the quirky normal thing in a random zone that can do a full party blast that'll cripple in one and kill in two which is beyond unfair into sadist torture. I swear I'd sell the goddamn thing if I had the SNES, PSX, or GBA game still.

Board I regular, used to admin just did (still active) a 'BEST Numbered FF' title for the 'war room' and I wrote a bit on FF4 as I had to justify with all my love on it over the years why I had to choose FF9 over it.

7. fst312

Member fst312 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i got to say i hate most ds games that is why i bought a flash cart.i spent about $230 on the ds being disappointed with every game i thought would be worth having.for example new super mario thought it was good beat it once than i said this game is boring it doesn't really have any real replay value.

EDIT
    i also hated final fantasy 4 i beat it too much before it got to the ds where i really hated it.

8. Faded Reality

Newcomer Faded Reality Newbie

United States
    The World Ends With You

I know a lot of people enjoyed it, it just wasn't for me.

9. Syman

Newcomer Syman Advanced Member

United Kingdom

just getting this game. [​IMG]

it seems this is what i call a marmite game..... you either love it or hate it. [​IMG]

i'll give it a go anyhow.

10. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I am right there with ya on FFIV. as a big fan of most FF games, I really wanted to like it but it just fell short imo. Chrono Trigger is another that I really wanted to like but it just didn't grab me like some other rpgs.

11. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    *Zelda - Phantom Hourglass: I grew up playing Zelda. I'm especially fond of the handheld Zeldas... but I found PH to be utterly despicable.
    *Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords: The game is good, but the AI seems to know exactly what gems to move to get chains and combos. It gets to the point in which it can obliterate you in a matter of a couple of moves.
    *Final Fantasy III: "Oh my gawd! Gorgeous graphics! A remake of a classic!". Yeah. Too oldschool, mindless grinding for me.

There may be more, probably. I can't remember anything else right now.

Given your recent thread, I find that hard to believe.

12. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Given all the Hype of this, I thought it would be the best DS game I ever played. I was on Virgin Media Broadband and I don't reccomend it to ANYONE, especially dloaders since it randomly stopped downloads for no apparent reason ¬.¬ so i spent days trying to download it before I went on holiday but it was so bad I only played it 1/4 the way to the airport [​IMG]
    I also thought Soul Bubbles was gonna be awesome given igns review but it was too tedious for me.
    Metroid Prime: Hunters... Good graphics, revolutionary for the DS and such an early release but by the time I got it, it was too outdated and everyone haxxed online.

13. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    FFIV and Legend of Zelda PH. Zelda sucks balls.

14. TanookiSuit

United States
    Good call on that Phantom Hourglass. They made it look so damn great and it really had the potential to be. There were just 2 flaws, one completely fatal with it. The moderate one would be the no touch control as an option, but it's workable. The fatality with this one is the disgusting level of repetitious backtracking that sucked the fun out of it. Fine we get it, things are tied to that temple where the sands of the glass give you more time. But, do I really need to have to get in my boat, spend 10-15min powering back to the same place to do the same dungeon +1 floor time and time again after every damn little stage you do or item you find?! Yes I know at a point blue teleporters do show up but it's still stages apart and the whole drop what you're doing and boat back to here, then boat nearly back to the same area or farther time and again. Nintendo fucked up both their Zelda games in the last few years and I'm convinced the scores were more more media suckup hype at its finest. The now infamously fired Gerstmann with his 8/10 on TP Wii was the most fair I saw as it pointed out much of the meh/problem parts others ignored with their horndog 9.5-10 scores.

15. Dark_linis

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2

I loved the original tactics advanced... I really looked forward to the sequel but the story was so uninteresting I just couldnt go on.

16. Rod

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Whoa, lots of people listing FFIV in here. I personally loved it, it became my #1 FF game and one of my favorite RPGs ever. I can't say I wasn't disappointed at first, given that it could be SO much more as a remake, but in time I learned to forget about it and enjoyed it for what it was. Liked it better than the original is almost every single aspect.

My personal letdown was Summon Night: Twin Age. I waited anxiously for the game, but the final product was so different and in most aspects, inferior to what I envisioned I just couldn't stand it. Never went past the 1st battle.
    Another letdown was Harvest Moon Island of Happiness, the touch controls killed the experience. More recently, Big Bang Mini as well.

17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Spectrobes. I really thought I would have loved that game, but at the end it was just to monotonous and boring. The spectrobes were cool though.

18. Mr.Mister

Member Mr.Mister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Disgaea DS

I was thinking, "Hey, a fun tactical RPG should be good for me!", since I love the genre, but this game was a little over the top and just way too slow and too long for me, felt like work.

EDIT: Wtf with all the FFIV hate in here?

19. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    So do I. Infinite text ballons (with few words) helped a lot

20. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Final Fantasy 3
    Picross