Gaming Games that will PWN!!!

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Actually, I hate Castlevania more than Metroid. I find it incredibly boring and overrated. I still find "backtracking done right" to be "backtracking". I don't see the point of moving backwards in a game instead of moving foward and onwards.
Well, in this case, you're exploring a world with a limited moveset and expanding upon it as you go. I find it pretty cool, you know, returning to a place with a new ability and finding out it's more than I originally believed it to be. Anywhos, I agree with you for the most part regarding Castlevania - most of 'em are boring to me. When I made the comparison, I meant that Fusion is more linear and that a bit more focus has been placed on combat.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
Xta Large said:
scousethief said:
Most Wii games will never PWN simply because most people are still hung up on the graphics over gameplay argument , a fair few games get bad mouthes simply because the graphics are lacking.

Maybe if you'd actually read the reviews you'd understand that for the most part, this is not the case.

High Voltage... I like them as a developer, they're pretty cool, but The Conduit and Gladiator A.D. just look hopelessly uninspired. The Conduit has a lot of firsts for the Wii, but in the end it'll be one of those 'good for Wii' games - a game that really doesn't seem worth purchasing unless the only console you own is the Wii. At least, that's the way I see it. For as much as I hear about 'omg cool control customization' (boy am I glad that replaced 'omg cool great grafix' as the reason people are praising the game), controls haven't ever been a major part of my decisions to buy games before unless they were really bad. I'm not going to pick up a game that looks, well, kind of bargain bin-ish (and I've seen just about every bit of footage for this game there is - I'm not ignoring it) just because the shootan is easy. I've got a PC for that - give me a cool shooter game on the Wii that can be compared, polish or feature wise, to one of the games on my PC, PS3, or 360, and I'll totally be onboard.

The Grinder, I'm kind of excited for. I just hope the characters are customizable (as in, boosting certain stats) as you gain xp or something. I know that's the case in The Conduit, so I'm almost positive HV has at least considered something similar for The Grinder.

Gladiator A.D.... I will never understand why anybody is even remotely excited for this game. It doesn't look entertaining, at all. The concept is creative, but the end result, the art style, etc... they're all bland, stiff, boring, not cool. Apparently, what looks to be a shallow experience with a fancy coat of paint is excusable now... since it's on the Wii, instead of those aitch dee systems. :/

Anywhos, regarding HV's direction... I'm not sure if I like their stance on core games for the Wii, because the way I see it, attempting to make games that offer up a similar experience to cool games on the other consoles is a bad idea simply because they're almost always going to end up inferior on the Wii. Not trollan, it's just how it works when you've got an underpowered system with an uncool, gimped online structure. I'm not gonna say they'd be better off making one of a kind Wii experiences that really make the most out of the hardware they're on (inb4 someone claims that's what these games are), since they wouldn't have gotten the exposure they have gotten if it hadn't been for their 'We're giving you feature filled 'hardcore' games!!' stance, but I know I would've preferred it.
Sorry about the entire quote.

Maybe if you read them correctly youd understand that this is the case. The wii has always been quoted as having poor graphics and it is the most picked on feature.

clownz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sometimes i just want to break out the old xbox 1 and go on xbox live. i miss that. i wish the wii had that similar setup. other than that i love the wii.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As per post 2 posts up from this ('cause I don't want to quote an already large quote).

You're right about the Conduit. It won't be any Halo or Call of Duty, but by far it'll be the best FPS game on the Wii, period.

The Grinder is (and I'm still standing by this), L4D for the Wii, since it does a heavy emphasis on co-op. I don't know if the AI will be nearly as good as L4D's "Director" or how it'll play out, but it looks cool. And it'll use the MotionPlus, I think.

I still know hardly anything about Gladiator. From my standpoint, it looks like a Soul Caliber-esque game, especially more-so with the wealth of features in SC4. Otherwise generic fighting game, and I think the graphics are pretty good (for the Wii).

You didn't mention "Animales de las Muertes", but I'm really looking forward to it. Small Mexican children with automatic weapons mowing down zombie zoo animals? For under $20? Definately.

As for High Voltage in general, they went pretty much from a crap/shovelware company to a respectable one (see their games list on Wikipedia and you'll cringe). They've made the most advanced graphical engine for the Wii (Quantum3) and have made quite a fuss with its list of upcoming games.

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scousethief said:
Maybe if you read them correctly youd understand that this is the case. The wii has always been quoted as having poor graphics and it is the most picked on feature.
Yeah, picked on by idiots. It's a legitimate concern in many games, but at the same time, there are a lot of folks who don't give the Wii a chance simply because of the visuals.

Those are the idiots, though, the mostly teenage group that thinks a game can't be cool without amazing visuals and a 'mature' subject matter that ends up being about as deep as a puddle. I don't factor them into any of my discussions because they're a smaller group than you'd imagine (All I have to back this up is anecdote and the Wii's sales figures, sure, but the latter should prove my point for me).

The most picked on facet of the Wii is the motion controls (in my experience), and rightly so considering we haven't seen a huge amount of games that take full advantage of them. It's a good thing that's changing, though, what with the cool games coming up and some awesome MotionPlus support.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
clownz said:
sometimes i just want to break out the old xbox 1 and go on xbox live. i miss that. i wish the wii had that similar setup. other than that i love the wii.
Yeah, back before Wii, PS3 and 360. Around the time when is was PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, no one really gave a shit about graphics and it wasn't that long ago.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:
clownz said:
Yeah, back before Wii, PS3 and 360. Around the time when is was PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, no one really gave a shit about graphics and it wasn't that long ago.
really? I remember the argument that the 64 had better graphics than the PS1, and vise versa.

I also remember the gamecube selling horribly in Australia. All my friends said its graphics sucked so they bought an xbox instead
wacko.gif
just look how RE4 turned out!
smileipb2.png

Conduits out in 2 days!
yaynds.gif

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PettingZoo said:
clownz said:
You're kidding, right? Graphics were just as big a focus last generation as they are now. It only seems as though they're more of a focus now because we've never had a system this far apart from its competition, graphics-wise, in the same generation before.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
Im afraid its still graphics no matter what you would like to think lol , control methods are easily learnt hence the crossover in console/pc titles COD for sake of argument , gamepad to keyboard and mouse , fps to rpg , different control methods everytime yet the majority pick them up. The main problem is that most console/p-c games have good graphics then the wii version comes out were the developers have spent 5 minutes drawing blocky badly animated characters and expect to receive rave reviews , its not going to happen look for example at the difference between an old game RE4 and Chop till you drop , the later looks shit seriously shit compared to the much earlier RE4. Developers are lazy and are rushing out less than mediocre games which is a major problem for the WII as its lower system specs mean it needs more work to look good.
You may or not agree that is fine but realistically we are living in the world of next gen consoles, were the graphics are as good as the gameplay , were a lot of bias comes from the pc community with their high spec PC's and expectations are high compared to what is generally produced , if that wasnt the case the 360/ps3 wouldnt exist as the xbox would be enough only gameplay would have evolved , it hasnt , graphics cards continue to evolve to give better more realistic simulations of war or whatever your genre is.
Wii developers continually churning out shit has pushed it to a secondary /part time console compared to the other 2 if you dont believe me go play Imagine hairdressing or whatever low end crap is getting thrown at the wii next.

The old adage stands true , you cant just polish a turd it takes a lot more work to make it look good.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
wii has more shitware because lots of people has it..it has the largest user base..devs make it on the wii because the know only about 5% of a console userbase will buy their crap, so like

example:
1 shitware game = $10
ps3 - 100 users = (5% = 5 users) = $50
x360 - 500 users = (5% = 25 users) = $250
wii - 1000 users = (5% = 50 users) = $500 PROFIT

thats what i think anyway so STOP BUYING wiis!!(though its a very good console)

---------
on topic, im looking forward to the grinder more than conduit as i like killing werewolves rather than aliens

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii is an excellent console it could in my opinion be THE best console if only the developers would stop churning out shit and concentrate on bringing out decent games and spending more than 5 minutes designing the graphics, gameplay might be everything but gameplay with turds isnt much fun.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Eye candy always sells games. I remember when I had an Atari VCS 2600 in the Seventies and checking the back of each box in the rental video place to check out the screenshots. Same with my 48K Speccy. If a game has great graphics it'll sell eevn if the game itself is crap.

Fortunately for the Wii things are beginning to change now that developers and publishers started to catch up to the Wii's success after Christmas 2007, and we're now seeing the fruits of those labours with Madworld, Deadly Creatures, House of The Dead Overkill, Grand Slam Tennis and Virtua Tennis that're out now, and the likes of Dead Space Extraction, The Conduit, Silent Hill, Gladiator AD and The Grinder coming soon.

When the Wii was first released everyone in the industry was thinking that the PS3 would emulate the success of the PS2 and the Wii would be in third place in the 'Console Wars' as the Gamecube was before it. This resulted in a great deal of cheap ports with bolted on controls and low budget software with low production values.

When the world and his wife realised the Wii was outselling both the PS3 and 360 added together every year the Wii started to get a great deal of shovelware as the PS2 did before it. It always happens with the leading console each generation, but publishers have realised that they need to release quality software to differentiate it from the shovelware...which is why we're going to be seeing the likes of The Conduit, Muramasa The Demon Blade, Dead Space Extraction, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, Resident Evil Archives, Tiger Woods 2010, Red Steel 2, Gladiator AD and The Grinder.
smile.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
scousethief said:
The Wii is an excellent console it could in my opinion be THE best console if only the developers would stop churning out shit and concentrate on bringing out decent games and spending more than 5 minutes designing the graphics, gameplay might be everything but gameplay with turds isnt much fun.

and get rid of all the soccer mom ads!! that's why the wii is seen as a kiddy console because of them ads.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
soccer mom is ok
its
dogz catz zebraz spiderz monkeyz wormz antz beetlez blah blah blah
imagaine hairdressing , my house, babysitting, chef, ffs get a life lol
20 shovelware titiles on every game shop shelf for each 1 decent game its become a joke and the nintendo name is falling at the way side as developers cram the shelves with cheap disgraceful budget titles aimed at the under 10 brigade , i know a lot of families who have the wii yet i dont know 1 family that buys that shit, nearly every wii owner i know is waiting for the conduit or someother top title game rather than these budget shiity things so why they are produced i dont know, it certainly isnt sales.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
First of all the Wii isn't about PWNs and probably never will since the vast majority of nintendo gamers aren't into violent stuff as the sales of Call Of Duty, Madworld and No More Heroes show, and the conduit will probably also sell pretty bad. Most are probably more interested in the new Let's Tap than this. We might be praising the conduit, but I bet NO ONE in this thread will buy it. The only ones that could have cared are waiting for the iso to pop up since they are hardcore enough to know how to hack their consoles.

Second, reviews for Wii games are always pretty bad, (Mario Galaxy got a lower score than GTA, and Halo 3 is the game Jesus Christ send from heaven as the new bible according to reviewers) not because the games are bad, but because those guys are the ultra geeks, the people that live off the industry, so any change from what feeds their families would be trashed and I'm sure a lot of sites were even thinking about dropping Nintendo coverage, but it became the biggest market, it would be crazy to do it.

I think the only nintendo game geeks/hardcore like is Metroid, but if it doesn't say Metroid, people will avoid it like the plague. they even hate Zelda now, even if the Zelda games are still in the top 10 games of history, there are a ton of kids that will never touch a Zelda game just based on gaming sites' opinions. There's even a video on Youtube about some reviewer can't explain why people scream when a trailer for DS Zelda shows up and don't scream for a new Call Of Duty trailer...

And Nintendo has been considered a kiddie company since the release of censored Mortal Kombat for the Super Nintendo, even if there was a blood secret code and the sequel included all the fatalities the genesis didn't, the damage was done, that started the whole backlash towards them until this day 15 years later, even if the most violent, offensive, sadistic games (I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS CALLED MATURE, I WOULD RATHER SAY IMMATURE INSTEAD) have been released on Nintendo consoles:

Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil 4
Manhunt 2
No More Heroes
Madworld
GTA: China Wars

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
all the game reviewers are also graphic whore too blinded by fancy graphics to know that graphics don't count only gameplay! nintendo games are the only games made these days that are different all shooters are the same including the all mighty halo, you got your boring racing games which are also the same as the last racing game made, your fancy violence games where all you do is go around beating the shit out of peeps and stealing cars no offense but these games get very old VERY fast!
tongue.gif

kbkoolio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
all the game reviewers are also graphic whore too blinded by fancy graphics to know that graphics don't count only gameplay! nintendo games are the only games made these days that are different all shooters are the same including the all mighty halo, you got your boring racing games which are also the same as the last racing game made, your fancy violence games where all you do is go around beating the shit out of peeps and stealing cars no offense but these games get very old VERY fast!
tongue.gif
He speaks the truth!

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Well ridgecity is wrong about The Conduit for starters - I've pre-ordered it. As for Nintendo being for kids and soccer moms several publishers are disagreeing with you. There several 'hardcore' titles that've been recently released and another 10 on the way. But I guess you know better than EA, EA Sports, Capcom, Konami and Ubisoft lol.
laugh.gif

The Wii as a console appeals to everyone, and I'd say that there are at least 10m of the 50m owners that fit into the 'hardcore' demographic, if not more.

As for Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the new Metroid they'll sell like hotcakes. Very bad attempt at trolling there mate lol
laugh.gif

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
bytor said:
Well ridgecity is wrong about The Conduit for starters - I've pre-ordered it. As for Nintendo being for kids and soccer moms several publishers are disagreeing with you. There several 'hardcore' titles that've been recently released and another 10 on the way. But I guess you know better than EA, EA Sports, Capcom, Konami and Ubisoft lol.
laugh.gif

The Wii as a console appeals to everyone, and I'd say that there are at least 10m of the 50m owners that fit into the 'hardcore' demographic, if not more.

As for Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the new Metroid they'll sell like hotcakes. Very bad attempt at trolling there mate lol
laugh.gif

Dude, I love Nintendo and been doing it for over 20 years, I spend more than $10,000 in nintendo stuff over the years and consoles, so I think I know how Nintendo works and looking at the sale numbers you can get an idea who's buying games, you don't need Ubisoft to tell you what's better for the Wii, their users are buying what they want and companies follow trends:

Wii Fit 20 million
Madworld 200,000
Mario Kart 16 million
Punch Out 30000
EA Sports Active 950,000
Grand Slam Tennis 300,000
Mario galaxy 9 million
Call OF Duty WaW 1.2 million
SSBB 8.5 million
No MOre Heroes 400,000
Metroid Prime 3 1.5 million
LoZ 5.3 million
My Fitness Coach 1 million
Wii Music 2.5 million
Animal Crossing 3.1 million
Mario & SOnic 7 million
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 120,000
Deadly Creatures 80,000
Dead Rising 150,000
RE 4 1.6 million
Okami 220,000
Wii Play 23 million
Indiana Jones 30,000
Mario Party 8 6.6 million
LInk's Crossbow 3.9 million
Carnival games 3.3 million
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 12,000
High School Musical Sing It 1.4 million

You don't need to be an industry insider to know what's going on:

plastic addons sell.
Mario sells.
Fitness sells.
minigames sell.
retro franchises don't sell (Punchout Donkey Kong).
Big name franchises do sell yet, don't sell as well as other consoles (CoD, Final Fantasy and Dead Rising).
big budgets don't translate into big sales (Madworld and Final Fantasy)

And the 10 million hardcore Wii userbase it's almost impossible. The hardcore crowd that owns a Wii, probably owns another console where they buy games, because it looks like they are not buying them for Wii, and the piracy is believed to be around 4 million consoles, and of course they don't buy anything, hardcores are the first to know about modchips and softmods., and unless they are true nintendo fans, they will download games and don't support the games they claim for.

It might appeal to EVERYONE as you say, but the hardcore aren't buying the games they are supposed to be buying. I still remember when I asked about Zack & wiki and the guys in the store told me the had only sold 2 copies in a whole month, and everyone agrees the game is awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...