Games that wasn't released in your territory but discovered, and now you like it.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious about this situation, where there is probably many games that wasn't released world wide but exist in specific parts of the world. It's common that this happen and can for various reasons. I recently published a review of Terranigma for the super nintendo which you can find by clicking here. For those who don't know, Terranigma is a Action RPG developed by Quintet and released in 1995 for the Super Nintendo, but only released in Japan and PAL territories. Meaning players like me who lives in USA wasn't aware of it unless by means of import which wasn't common at the time. Previously they made games like Actraiser, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, but this one Terranigma was not released in US. During my review I do bring that to the reader's attention that I played a English UK localized translation for the review. Now I was thinking if other people had similar experiences with "Exotic" games. So what games did you discover that became your favorite but not released in your region to purchase?

Just for starters, another game I had played not released in USA was Dragon Ball Z Super Butouden 2 for the Super Famicom. When I was younger, Dragon ball z was a very popular anime in America and I watched it weekdays during toonami. (Toonami is now a saturday adult swim block) My brother managed to borrow a imported Super Famicom system with the game from a friend at his school. This was my first exposure of import games. The controller was different, the system, and even the carts too, to be playing it felt like "A whole new world, new fantastic point of view, A dazzling place I never knew" (Don't sue me DISNEY!) It's a fighting game by namco and at the time we also liked fighting games like street fighter, mortal kombat, and killer instinct. Currently this turned up on 3DS eshop somehow, and no is not "NEW" 3DS exclusive, so if you managed to try it, "good show old bean" :P

Another game I would like to mention is Bomberman 2... for the Nintendo DS. This also not released in USA. I remember playing this cause back when I got my first flash cart for my DS Lite, I was so happy to have one. It was a Acekard 2I and had a nice christmas decorated box. I was new to flash carts at the time, the first thing I wanted was some cool homebrew and emulators, and when I learned it can play roms like a emulator, I quickly started thinking of names of games i wanted to try. Bomberman is a popular game and favorite of mine, but I didn't know this one was not released in USA. By the name, I thought it was based on the NES game. (Publishers, please stop calling a newer game the same exact title as a previously EXISTING ONE, IT'S CONFUSING) But it was actually fun, probably the most fun I had ever playing single player bomberman. In this game, you control bomberman, in this cyberworld, with collectable equippable upgrades, is like playing Mega man battle network but with BOMBERMAN! I recommend this to any bomberman fan. :)

31228942-item-big-NDS-BOMBERM2-A-1.jpg

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That'd be Keitai Denjuu Telefang for me, better discovered by most people including me on TRsRockin as "Pokemon Diamond and Jade for the GBC" - which of course caused tons of fansites back then to proclaim "POKEMON DIAMOND IS NOT A REAL GAME" :D

The game was both translated Japanese>Chinese>English (requiring a poorly made font hack) and ported to a nonstandard implementation of MBC3, which means bugs by the truckload when played on anything else, however (with savestates and a mindset compatible with many un-Pokemon mechanics) it's a rather enjoyable variation on the "assemble your team and defeat others while exploring the new world" theme.

The biggest issue IMO in the games (the original ones too) is poor level balance combined with ridiculously slow grinding, especially after Fuwula/Flaura Village.
And the lack of quality comprehensive documentation, although I was contributing :)

Next up is Tomodachi Collection (for which we have a partial but appreciable translation patch), the predecessor of Tomodachi Life that mostly plays faster, starts faster, saves faster (and makes you regret running out of battery or crashing), and well is one of the few Mii games for the DS :)

And the only game to date that I've legally imported...

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious about this situation, where there is probably many games that wasn't released world wide but exist in specific parts of the world. It's common that this happen and can for various reasons. I recently published a review of Terranigma for the super nintendo which you can find by clicking here. For those who don't know, Terranigma is a Action RPG developed by Quintet and released in 1995 for the Super Nintendo, but only released in Japan and PAL territories. Meaning players like me who lives in USA wasn't aware of it unless by means of import which wasn't common at the time. Previously they made games like Actraiser, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, but this one Terranigma was not released in US. During my review I do bring that to the reader's attention that I played a English UK localized translation for the review. Now I was thinking if other people had similar experiences with "Exotic" games. So what games did you discover that became your favorite but not released in your region to purchase?

Just for starters, another game I had played not released in USA was Dragon Ball Z Super Butouden 2 for the Super Famicom. When I was younger, Dragon ball z was a very popular anime in America and I watched it weekdays during toonami. (Toonami is now a saturday adult swim block) My brother managed to borrow a imported Super Famicom system with the game from a friend at his school. This was my first exposure of import games. The controller was different, the system, and even the carts too, to be playing it felt like "A whole new world, new fantastic point of view, A dazzling place I never knew" (Don't sue me DISNEY!) It's a fighting game by namco and at the time we also liked fighting games like street fighter, mortal kombat, and killer instinct. Currently this turned up on 3DS eshop somehow, and no is not "NEW" 3DS exclusive, so if you managed to try it, "good show old bean" :P

Another game I would like to mention is Bomberman 2... for the Nintendo DS. This also not released in USA. I remember playing this cause back when I got my first flash cart for my DS Lite, I was so happy to have one. It was a Acekard 2I and had a nice christmas decorated box. I was new to flash carts at the time, the first thing I wanted was some cool homebrew and emulators, and when I learned it can play roms like a emulator, I quickly started thinking of names of games i wanted to try. Bomberman is a popular game and favorite of mine, but I didn't know this one was not released in USA. By the name, I thought it was based on the NES game. (Publishers, please stop calling a newer game the same exact title as a previously EXISTING ONE, IT'S CONFUSING) But it was actually fun, probably the most fun I had ever playing single player bomberman. In this game, you control bomberman, in this cyberworld, with collectable equippable upgrades, is like playing Mega man battle network but with BOMBERMAN! I recommend this to any bomberman fan. :)

31228942-item-big-NDS-BOMBERM2-A-1.jpg

Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...at first I thought that "puyo puyo tetris" (wiiu) would be the only one. But after a check on the wii games (sorted by 'unreleased in Europe'), I notice that excitebots was never released in Europe. That's pretty weird, as it was a very fun race game (very fast, trick related, casual and with some quirky but not too ridiculous controls) and MUCH better than excitetruck, its predecessor. :unsure:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Games not released in our territory ? there were so much game never released in PAL/EUR back in 90's, it would take so long to list all I liked.

The first final fantasy we got was FF7!
We never got Chrono trigger. (except the DS version)
We never got Xenogears, etc.
Not even counting the Snes game never released outside of japan. I played few thanks to emulators. some where funny, and likable.

Specific to France : unfortunately, we got secret of mana (translation was so bad in French), and hopefully we got some games in EUR without translation (at least, they were released!) like Vagrant Story or front mission3.

My favorite unreleased games are FF6 and xenogears.
Final Fantasy is now re-re-re-release, but in 90's it wasn't available.

Last edited by Cyan,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS..

I played the demo of Jump Super Stars and thought it was the best thing ever. As close to Smash as we'd get on the DS. Sad that it never came to the US due to licensing issues.

YTElias

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a cartridge from a DS game named Ghost Trick
It got released everywhere but there was no second part of this series

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One Piece Unlimited Cruise Ep 1 and 2 for the Wii or 3DS.

The touch controls in the 3DS one were ass. But they were only released in Europe when localized.

Unlimited World Red was a disappointment. Why the fuck do I have to do a stepmania minigame to capture a bug?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots dude. There have been lots.

Most notably would be the Dragon Quest games that dont see the light of day stateside.

Another would be a few of the Front Mission games. Front Mission 1st got a DS port and I fell in love. The second or prequel or whatever got a DS port as well... but only in japan and there is hardly any interest for a fan trans group.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two games for NES I want to point out,
  • Uforia the saga (Hebereke) Game only released in US on virtual console, wasn't before then
  • Mr.Gimmick, never released in US EVER!
I recommend this to some of the NES gamers. :P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Super Mario RPG. Why this game was never released in Europe is beyond me, it's one of the best games on the SNES.
Telefang series
Ouendan (which is actually better than Elite Beat Agents in my opinion)
Puyo Puyo 15th anniversary, I found this to be a lot better than Puyo Pop Fever due to having a lot of variety in game modes.
That's all that comes to mind right now.
Games not released in our territory ? there were so much game never released in PAL/EUR back in 90's, it would take so long to list all I liked.

The first final fantasy we got was FF7!
We never got Chrono trigger. (except the DS version)
We never got Xenogears, etc.
Not even counting the Snes game never released outside of japan. I played few thanks to emulators. some where funny, and likable.

Specific to France : unfortunately, we got secret of mana (translation was so bad in French), and hopefully we got some games in EUR without translation (at least, they were released!) like Vagrant Story or front mission3.

My favorite unreleased games are FF6 and xenogears.
Final Fantasy is now re-re-re-release, but in 90's it wasn't available.
Were FF4 and 6 (2 and 3 on SNES) not released in France? I thought they were released worldwide.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The first FF we got in France (and Europe?) was FF7.

Even the re-make on PS1 for FF4 and chrono trigger were never released in France.
At least, FF6 was released in 2002, but still in english. I think it got a French translation for the GBA version? or maybe it's the phone/tablet version? I didn't play these so I'm not sure.

Mario RPG was never released (and didn't work on PAL console, even with a chipset or adapter! you needed an american console), I played it on emulator.
I also loved Osu tatakae Ouendan 1 (less the other one, even less the non-JPN version).

we got Secret of Mana in bad French in 94, followed by Secret of evermore, but JRPG and ARPG were very rare at that time.
it was great when they decided to release games untranslated (because I think that was the problem, they didn't want to translate so they didn't release?). We could get some games with English text but released in Europe like Vagrant Story, or Front Mission 3.
(Edit : Damn, I'm repeating myself, I just saw I already said that in the part you quoted... I feel old now, I should be placed in senior houses?)

Maybe Europe territory wasn't that interesting to publishers? I'm happy we are now at the same level than JPN/USA and get games at the same time.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Europe territory wasn't that interesting to publishers? I'm happy we are now at the same level than JPN/USA and get games at the same time.
Yeah square didn't publish a lot of pal games in the past. Most was just Japan and USA, It was around the time that Japan got popular with JRPG and was trying to get USA in on them and kept failing until Final Fantasy 7 came out and that when they maybe started focusing on pal countries. Then again, this was nintendo they was making games for and also during that time, localization for translating games wasn't as good, square had been doing localization for other companies, Breath of Fire was localized by square since capcom had no established division for it at the time. The person Ted Woosly worked for square and only focused on JAP to USA translations.

Reactions: Cyan

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marvelous: Another treasure island

Aonuma's (Zelda guy) first full fledged game. Has a lot of Zelda elements with a fun story. Runs on the same engine as ALttP.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sometime I wish they just released the game untranslated (ok, not in japan, but at least in english). doing a bad job at translating to horrible French is sometime worse.
I tried few times to play Breath of Fire 3 (or 4?) in French, but it's just not possible to bear the bad grammar and wrong word choice. I think even google engines could do a better job.
for example, they didn't even made Male/female differences, while French is heavily based on that.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night