Gaming Games that is worth having a 3DS

PacBunnyXV07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only game that I go back to my 3ds is The Binding of Isaac. To clarify I have own a 3DS for a decade and enjoy some of the games enough but lately I felt they're not worth my time. I said I go back to Binding of Isaac because of the replayability and complex it is.

Last edited by PacBunnyXV07,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only game that I go back to my 3ds is The Binging of Isaac.
Yeah, I bought Binding of Isaac the day it released for New 3DS (important to note that it's New 3DS only), and have enjoyed it for a long while... although I eventually got it for both PS4 and Vita, both of which out perform the 3DS version, so I tend to play it mainly on Vita these days. And as it's not a console exclusive and there are better ports of it for other handhelds, it's hard to say it's a game worth owning the 3DS for.

Personally I'd go with the somewhat overlooked Project X Zone games. Probably the most fun I've had on the system, lengthy playthroughs with a decent amount of replayability, and they're console exclusives.
Bravely Default comes a close second.

Last edited by duwen,

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It depends on what kind of game you like. For me, there's a lot of games worth of having a 3DS (im a handheld console guy, so i love the 3DS)
Some examples are Shin Megami Tensei 4 and 4 Apocalypse, excellent jrpg games, and 3DS exclusives. Also, if you are a DQ fan, the 3DS its a great console, with the remake of DQVII, DQVIII port, DQTNW, DQXI, DQMJ3, etc. And i really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. Its not the best version of the game (there's the original on Wii and the remake on Switch) but it is a blast for me to play it on a "real portable console".

Aside from that there's a couple of games i enjoy that are 3DS exclusives: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ever Oasis, Yo-Kai Watch 1, 2 & 3, Monster Hunter Stories, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Shingeki no Kyojin 2: Mirai no Zahyou, Beyond the Labyrinth, E.X. Troopers, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X, Boxboy 1, 2 & 3, Dinasty Warriors VS, Fire Emblem Awakening, FE Shadows Echoes of Valentia, Dragon Ball Fusions, Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers, Castlevania LOS Mirror of Fate, Kindom Hearts DDD, Super Mario 3D Land, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, Bravely Default and Bravely Second.

Honorable mentions (because were ported to other plataforms, are a port from other consoles or a remake, but are great on 3DS): Resident Evil: Revelations, Alliance Alive, Code of Princess, The Snack World: Trejearers, Hyrule Warriors Legends (all ported to Switch), Nightsky, Luigi's Mansion 1, Terraria, TLOZ Ocarina of Time 3D & Majora's Mask 3D, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Shovel Knight.

Last edited by NanashiFinal13,
Reactions: zfreeman

seany1990

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I replay bravely default and Bravely Second about once every 2 years and that will continue with how terrible Bravely Default 2 is

PacBunnyXV07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what kind of game you like. For me, there's a lot of games worth of having a 3DS (im a handheld console guy, so i love the 3DS)
Some examples are Shin Megami Tensei 4 and 4 Apocalypse, excellent jrpg games, and 3DS exclusives. Also, if you are a DQ fan, the 3DS its a great console, with the remake of DQVII, DQVIII port, DQTNW, DQXI, DQMJ3, etc. And i really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. Its not the best version of the game (there's the original on Wii and the remake on Switch) but it is a blast for me to play it on a "real portable console".

Aside from that there's a couple of games i enjoy that are 3DS exclusives: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ever Oasis, Yo-Kai Watch 1, 2 & 3, Monster Hunter Stories, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Shingeki no Kyojin 2: Mirai no Zahyou, Beyond the Labyrinth, E.X. Troopers, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X, Boxboy 1, 2 & 3, Dinasty Warriors VS, Fire Emblem Awakening, FE Shadows Echoes of Valentia, Dragon Ball Fusions, Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers, Castlevania LOS Mirror of Fate, Kindom Hearts DDD, Super Mario 3D Land, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, Bravely Default and Bravely Second.

Honorable mentions (because were ported to other plataforms, are a port from other consoles or a remake, but are great on 3DS): Resident Evil: Revelations, Alliance Alive, Code of Princess, The Snack World: Trejearers, Hyrule Warriors Legends (all ported to Switch), Nightsky, Luigi's Mansion 1, Terraria, TLOZ Ocarina of Time 3D & Majora's Mask 3D, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Shovel Knight.
It depends on how good the game is in terms of quality, genre us irrelevant.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I replay bravely default and Bravely Second about once every 2 years and that will continue with how terrible Bravely Default 2 is
If you don't play the game four times to get to the final boss then I guess Bravely Default is good, just can't stand the generic dungeon design and the fact that its just Final Fantasy V again.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I bought Binding of Isaac the day it released for New 3DS (important to note that it's New 3DS only), and have enjoyed it for a long while... although I eventually got it for both PS4 and Vita, both of which out perform the 3DS version, so I tend to play it mainly on Vita these days. And as it's not a console exclusive and there are better ports of it for other handhelds, it's hard to say it's a game worth owning the 3DS for.
Ed McMillen once said it was his favorite port on account of displaying the map screen separately, though I've often heard it is technically inferior.

I doubt I'll have the patience for any playthroughs as The Lost or for getting to the Boss Rush, but I still want to get that last ending on the PC version someday.

Personally I'd go with the somewhat overlooked Project X Zone games. Probably the most fun I've had on the system, lengthy playthroughs with a decent amount of replayability, and they're console exclusives.
I've heard they get really tedious towards the end?

What an odd thing to say. There are surely some quality games in genres that you don't particularly care for?

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: NanashiFinal13

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

If you don't play the game four times to get to the final boss then I guess Bravely Default is good, just can't stand the generic dungeon design and the fact that its just Final Fantasy V again.

Disagree. There are plenty of good quality games that i do not particulary enjoy because im not a fan of the game genre.
Aside from that, I would say most of games i mentioned before are quality games, like DQ games, SMT games and YKW games. The only titles of the list i enjoyed but i wouldn't say that they are quality games are: Beyond the Labyrinth (Its a dungeon crawler, its interesting but not really a good game), Kingdom Hearts DDD (its not a bad game, it's good, but the previous games on DS and PSP were better) and Spiderman Edge of Time (i really like that game, i replay it several times, but i have to be honest and say its not that great. Still, its really fun for me.)

I agree that Bravely Default gets pretty tedious with re-battling the bosses (i hate that), its not my favorite game on 3DS, but still, i enjoyed most of the game.

P.S: There's one game that i missed and it should be on my list: Fantasy Life. Great game with a lot of content

Reactions: MORSHU8KRTXON

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard they get really tedious towards the end?

Depends on what you mean by tedious. Some of the final battles in both games can take in excess of an hour, so I suppose that could be considered tedious if you don't enjoy the battle mechanics. Likewise, some of the story can be a bit bloated and lengthy if you're not invested in the whacky plotline and convoluted character interactions... but all of those 'negatives' are only negatives if lengthy SRPG games and crazy narratives aren't your thing - for me, they're a big part of why I enjoyed them both so much.

Reactions: MORSHU8KRTXON

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow...

Just wow.

I haven't bought many console/PC games in the last few years because I still spend so much time with my handheld library of games.

One game is all you can think of?! Holy shi...

How about any of the Zelda games? Mario games? SMTIV, the Devil Survivor remasters, either of the Persona Qs, Alliance Alive, Crimson Shroud -- holy f***, the Fire Emblem games!? I mean, come on, one game is all you can think of?

The Yoshi games, Tales of Abyss on the go? Smash Bros. on the go? I'd say Samus Returns, but some folks don't enjoy great games.

Anyway, sorry for my shock, but well, I was shocked and amazed...and brokenhearted. I think the system has a great library. Maybe not quite as great as the DS' library, but being able to play DS games on it is yet another reason to own it. Dayum...!

PacBunnyXV07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow...

Just wow.

I haven't bought many console/PC games in the last few years because I still spend so much time with my handheld library of games.

One game is all you can think of?! Holy shi...

How about any of the Zelda games? Mario games? SMTIV, the Devil Survivor remasters, either of the Persona Qs, Alliance Alive, Crimson Shroud -- holy f***, the Fire Emblem games!? I mean, come on, one game is all you can think of?

The Yoshi games, Tales of Abyss on the go? Smash Bros. on the go? I'd say Samus Returns, but some folks don't enjoy great games.

Anyway, sorry for my shock, but well, I was shocked and amazed...and brokenhearted. I think the system has a great library. Maybe not quite as great as the DS' library, but being able to play DS games on it is yet another reason to own it. Dayum...!
Because Binding of Isaac feels like something worth my time on the 3DS also the replayability of it. Zelda games - Hyrule Warriors but I did everything in that game and the n64 remakes I rather play the originals on the wii and Link Between Worlds is overrated. SMT - eh... Mario games - Super Mario 3D Land is just a tech demo, I could just play the Super Mario 64 decompile version. Fire Emblem - eh. Really, Yoshi games? Don't say Yoshi New Island is worth my time, Yoshi Wooly World yes but thats just a WiiU game ported to the 3DS. Tales of Abyss, why when I can play better Tales of games on my wii. Smash Bros, played it to death and Samus Returns, great but also just another tech demo.

Depends on what you mean by tedious. Some of the final battles in both games can take in excess of an hour, so I suppose that could be considered tedious if you don't enjoy the battle mechanics. Likewise, some of the story can be a bit bloated and lengthy if you're not invested in the whacky plotline and convoluted character interactions... but all of those 'negatives' are only negatives if lengthy SRPG games and crazy narratives aren't your thing - for me, they're a big part of why I enjoyed them both so much.
He's talking about fighting the bosses at the crystal four times before the final boss is tedious

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Because Binding of Isaac feels like something worth my time on the 3DS also the replayability of it. Zelda games - Hyrule Warriors but I did everything in that game and the n64 remakes I rather play the originals on the wii and Link Between Worlds is overrated. SMT - eh... Mario games - Super Mario 3D Land is just a tech demo, I could just play the Super Mario 64 decompile version. Fire Emblem - eh. Really, Yoshi games? Don't say Yoshi New Island is worth my time, Yoshi Wooly World yes but thats just a WiiU game ported to the 3DS. Tales of Abyss, why when I can play better Tales of games on my wii. Smash Bros, played it to death and Samus Returns, great but also just another tech demo.

He's talking about fighting the bosses at the crystal four times before the final boss is tedious

With all respect, then why you have a 3DS? If you don't like the mayority of the 3DS library, i don't think you can do much with the console. Maybe you should try with the PS Vita. Its portable, it has Binding of Isaac and its library its different than the 3DS. But if you gonna dismiss ported or remake games because you can play them on the original console of release or because you prefer the non remake version, i think you will also dislike the Vita library. A great portion of its library its also on PS4 and N.Switch. One of the main attractives of remakes or ports of home console games on portables its just that, the portability. If you don't care about portability, then a portable only worth its the exclusive titles. And when the console its 10 years old like 3DS/PS Vita, there's a chance that some exclusives games are now on other consoles.

Reactions: Jjones

PacBunnyXV07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cus I
With all respect, then why you have a 3DS? If you don't like the mayority of the 3DS library, i don't think you can do much with the console. Maybe you should try with the PS Vita. Its portable, it has Binding of Isaac and its library its different than the 3DS. But if you gonna dismiss ported or remake games because you can play them on the original console of release or because you prefer the non remake version, i think you will also dislike the Vita library. A great portion of its library its also on PS4 and N.Switch. One of the main attractives of remakes or ports of home console games on portables its just that, the portability. If you don't care about portability, then a portable only worth its the exclusive titles. And when the console its 10 years old like 3DS/PS Vita, there's a chance that some exclusives games are now on other consoles.
Cus I like the 3DS? I just don't think some of the first party games are as good as they should be.

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cus I

Cus I like the 3DS? I just don't think some of the first party games are as good as they should be.
Touche! The 3DS its a good looking portable, so i get that. But still, i wouldn't buy a console if i don't like its library. I don't see the worth of having a console just for one game. But hey, if thats enough for you, great!

Jjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Nintendo's first party library the most for this console. Like it's companion, the Wii U; it wasn't, at first, supported by 3rd parties; so Nintendo had to make a ton of games for it to keep people buying the console. In other words, Nintendo created some of the best games they've ever produced for this console to keep people interested in it, such as Captain Toad Tracker, New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Smash Bros 3ds, Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Paper Mario Sticker Star and so much more. This console, for me, will always be the one I look back on having the best games, from Nintendo, of all time.

But no bluetooth on the "New" 3DS... wth.

Last edited by Jjones,

PacBunnyXV07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Nintendo's first party library the most for this console. Like it's companion, the Wii U; it wasn't, at first, supported by 3rd parties; so Nintendo had to make a ton of games for it to keep people buying the console. In other words, Nintendo created some of the best games they've ever produced for this console to keep people interested in it, such as Captain Toad Tracker, New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Smash Bros 3ds, Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Paper Mario Sticker Star and so much more. This console, for me, will always be the one I look back on having the best games, from Nintendo, of all time.
3DS is a handheld, not a console. Captain Toad is a WiiU game ported to 3ds so good job. New Super Mario 2 is just a rehash of New Super Mario 1. Also Paper Mario Sticker Star, one of the most pointless games on the 3DS? Really?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I doubt that, as we were talking about the Project X Zone games... while there's a vast array of crossover characters from many franchises in both games, the final boss from BD isn't one of them.

Ed McMillen once said it was his favorite port on account of displaying the map screen separately, though I've often heard it is technically inferior.

Doesn't the Wii U port also have the map shown on the gamepad? I've got that version too, but I've not touched it since getting the PS4 release at least 5 years ago. At least the Wii U version got the Afterbirth update, unlike the 3DS and Vita.

Last edited by duwen,

grubgrub

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

What was wrong with Bravely Default 2?
I've seen this game on sale for $25 recently, was thinking of getting it.
I liked the first bravely default, have not played bravely second.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient