Games that Allow Switching Between 1st- and 3rd-Person?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Densetsu, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Densetsu
    OP

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    I just thought I'd look to the infinite collective gaming knowledge of the 'Temp for the answer to the following question:

Are there any games out there that allow you to switch freely between first-person and third-person views?

My fiance is in medical school and she's currently doing a rotation in General Surgery. Many surgeries are now done laparoscopically, which is a technique of operating on someone without having to cut huge holes in their bodies. The surgeon uses two thumbstick/trigger controls, one held in each hand, to control the camera, scalpel and/or laser that will be doing the cutting under the skin through a tiny hole.

My fiance's attending physician told her that male surgeons tend to be better at performing laparoscopic surgeries because a lot of them get their hand-eye coordination and spatial reasoning from video games. So my fiance asked me if she could try out some of my games, preferably one that requires her to learn how to use two analog thumbsticks at the same time.

She wants to try out Battlefield 3, but I think it might be good to start her off on a game in which she can switch between first- and third-person views because first-person can be a little disorienting for someone who's never done it before. It would be nice to have the option to switch to third-person so she can have a focal point (the character onscreen) if she needs to get her bearings. She's not much of a gamer; the only games she's ever played are UN Squadron on the SNES as a little kid, and more recently New Super Mario Bros. on my DS.

I know that in FPS's like Halo and Rage it's first-person all the way except for when you're riding a vehicle. If anyone knows any games where you can freely switch views back and forth, I'd appreciate it. I prefer PS3 titles, but I'll take whatever suggestions you have from other consoles. A perfect example of the type of game I'm looking for is Fallout 3, where you can play the game almost entirely in either view. But I'm also looking for a game that has quick matches so she spends more time in action rather than just exploring. Bonus if the game has an engaging storyline.

So I implore you, GBAtemp: Help me turn my fiance into a gamer chick, and in turn make her into a better doctor! You'll be doing me and the rest of humanity a great service! :)

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    First game that comes to mind is MGS: Portable Ops where you switch from a first to third person perspective. RE4's over the camera angle might be worth looking into as well.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    There's of course Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and the upcoming Skyrim.

Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, and Portable Ops also have first and third person viewing (first person for shooting, third person for movement). Same goes with like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, etc, with bows.

There's tons of games (too many to count) that let you go into the first person to look around with the camera.

In Metroid Prime games, you go into the third person from the first person when you do the ball thing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and the coming Skyrim will all have both FPS and TPS :)

5. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Ratchet and Clank has settings to change between free camera, 3rd person and 1st person.

6. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    Being a big fan of the RE franchise myself, I considered RE4/RE5 as well, but they don't really allow free 360-degree rotation of the camera which is something suited to her purpose.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far everyone! Keep 'em coming :)

7. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    Only game that springs to mind is alone in the dark. It lets you switch through full 1st and 3rd person views frequently to do certain things. Not really a great game, though. I had many frustrations with the controls sometimes (luckily I grabbed the pc version for only €1,-)

8. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    most ratchet and clank games

9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    MechWarrior 3 and 4 (can't remember about the first two).

10. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    Schweet, thanks guys!

11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Only game that pops into my mind is Deus Ex Human Revolution but that doesn't let you freely switch.
    It's 50/50 though, in first and third person.

12. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The use of games to improve performances in laparoscopy have been studied with Super monkey ball.
    http://www.1up.com/news/super-monkey-ball-helps-doctors

13. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Minecraft? And.. Metroid Prime.

That's all I can think of right now.

14. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    D: Aww, I lose.
    I was about to say "every Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind", but people above have beaten me to the punch.

Something people don't know about is that World of Warcraft is switchable 1st-to-3rd-person though.

15. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    And I think both CoD MW2 (maybe BLOPS too) and UT 2004 can be played in TPS too! It's hardly ever done though, but possible.

16. darkreaperofdrea

Member darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    Resident Evil Dead Aim on the PS2 :P
    and Gears of war lol

17. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Super Monkey Ball
    But doesnt surgeons have those machine where you can practice that?

18. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Metroid prime was already suggested, but there's also Metroid Other M.
    Though, other M is a "2D plateformer to First person view", I don't know if it's good for her as it's a completely different angle of view. and it's aiming, not analog.

Zelda Twilight princess on Wii (though, it's not using the analog, so maybe the one on Gamecube), she can switch freely to aim with the bow, look around, etc.

If she wants to learn moving two analog at the same time, I could suggest Katamari Damacy (PS2 or PS3, but the first one on PS2 is easier to start).
    Not FPS at all, only third view (though, there's an option to look around freely whenever she wants). The control is like tanks, both analog are used to control the movement :
    up+up = move forward, up+down = turn to the right, etc.

Also .. racing games, like Grand turismo ?
    not really the game you would think of, but it require precision with analog, can be third view or First Person view.
    There's also a control setting where she can use the right analog for speed control, and left for turning. Two different things at the same time.

Same kind as monkeyball, there's Kororinpa on Wii.

Good choice too, as she can control two different thing at the same time : one analog to move the mecha, and the second one to move the turret/cockpit.

19. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Serious Sam: The First Encounter
    Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

EDIT: And with these games, you can play co-op with her!

20. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The recent Bethesda games, obviously. As for others...

Well, in the Batman: Arkham (Insert Locale Here) series, you can go into first person mode to examine your surroundings, find and solve riddles, etc. It's not quite the same thing, but it's all that comes to mind.