pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey community,
my Wii U console is current on 5.5.1 and I think about updating it to 5.5.2. Are there any advantages or disadvantages if I update my console? I have installed my backups on an usb device and I am not sure if I still can use them on 5.5.2.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pLaYeR^^,

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'm still on 5.5.1 with Haxchi installed (and not planning on updating anytime soon). I can still access to loadiine web-exploit method if I really need to but having Haxchi eliminates that hassle. If you really want to update to 5.5.2, I would first get the Haxchi installed & setup then update to recent system firmware.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stayed on 5.5.1 for a while and eventually just updated since I don't want to have to use NNU patcher every time i want to update a game. I see no disadvantages unless you dont have HaxChi. If you do, why not update?

Reactions: Krazyeye

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the only difference with 5.5.2 is that you don't need NNU patcher to access eshop.
update to 5.5.2 only if you already have Haxchi or CBHC, or else it will be harder to get homebrew working on 5.5.2.

if you deleted the "update" folder in 5.5.1, you'll have to recreate it before updating, then delete it again after updated to 5.5.2

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Kafluke

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I stayed on 5.5.1 for a while and eventually just updated since I don't want to have to use NNU patcher every time i want to update a game. I see no disadvantages unless you dont have HaxChi. If you do, why not update?
Hmmm, maybe it's a good time for me to update to 5.5.2 too then :) I already have Haxchi working.. I was just hesitant to update because bit little scared of messing my WiiU.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update. The browser exploit works 90% of the time, in my experience with it recently. No reason not to, even if you don't want to install haxchi.

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
the only difference with 5.5.2 is that you don't need NNU patcher to access eshop.
update to 5.5.2 only if you already have Haxchi or CBHC, or else it will be harder to get homebrew working on 5.5.2.

if you deleted the "update" folder in 5.5.1, you'll have to recreate it before updating, then delete it again after updated to 5.5.2

Where is that "update" folder?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't see a reason to update.
NNU Patcher? That would be needed on 5.5.2 as well if I'm blocking the update servers or am I missing something? So there's absolutely no difference?
And yeah, I would still block updates on 5.5.2 since no one knows if there will be coming an update to eliminate Haxchi.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you delete the update folder, you don't need to filter the update server or use NNU anymore, the console can't update.
the games and the eshop are then working without issue as they can access NUS without problem.

Some users can't launch games if they are using the DNS IPs, and allowing access but removing the update folder is an easier solution.
Even safer, as some users reported the console still updated even while using the DNS filters. (not sure what went wrong, but depending on remote and third parties to protect your own devices is never a good idea)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/block-wii-u-system-updates-without-dns-blocking.477944/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-prevent-updates-by-removing-the-systems-update-folder.482091/

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay wasn't aware of all the niceness you get by deleting the folder.
I'm a bit afraid to do it as it might cause an issue to recreate it just in case of need as we don't know the WFS permissions on that folder, or am I wrong?
So I wouldn't go any further as renaming it to "updatex" or something like that.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't remember clearly, but I think renaming doesn't work. I don't know why it wouldn't, but we should try to be sure. (maybe if you are still on 5.5.1 you can rename and see if it blocks or updates)

edit:
seems you can't rename it.
seems changing permission reapply them.

so, why deleting and recreating it is not reapplying the permissions automatically?

Are you sure we can't set permission manually ? if ftpiiu doesn't allow you, you can still use WUPserver to do that.

Last edited by Cyan,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
- The folder can't be renamed for whatever reason. It can only be deleted and recreated.
- Permissions is very likely not necessary. However I included it in the guide for completeness and to look exactly like official.
- People say that if you download it via ftp before deleting it, then you upload it whenever you need to recreate it, it will have the original permissions. I haven't tested that out myself.

Anything else I'm missing :)?

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
- The folder can't be renamed for whatever reason. It can only be deleted and recreated.
- Permissions is very likely not necessary. However I included it in the guide for completeness and to look exactly like official.
- People say that if you download it via ftp before deleting it, then you upload it whenever you need to recreate it, it will have the original permissions. I haven't tested that out myself.

Anything else I'm missing :)?
Alright, if I ever decide to update, I'll do it this way. Thanks. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr