Hacking games on r4 freezing

mmalone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
folks, had my r4 for a while and no problem but over the last few days first it would sticking when browsing through the games, removed the game it always stuck and and it was ok, now everytime i play the poker game on i its freezing through the game ..

any ideas on how to solve ? already put the new firmware on but no difference, plenty space left on cart also

mmalone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gonna try reformatting the micro sd and try again, got the card around xmas and this is the fisrt prob ive had !!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes you just need to eject/insert the R4 a few times to sort of clean the contacts. Do it with the microSD too. That has always worked for me. I've the same R4 for over a year now.

mmalone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SavageWaffle said:
I dont understand a thing you said. Please try writing more clearly.

its written clear enough for other replies ??

Anyway problem solved, reformatted card and games no longer freezing

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmalone said:

That would have been my next suggestion......

....copy everything to your hard drive, format the microSD, copy everything back. That's the best way to "defrag" your microSD.

mmalone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
mmalone said:

That would have been my next suggestion......

....copy everything to your hard drive, format the microSD, copy everything back. That's the best way to "defrag" your microSD.

cheers mate !! hear how much r4 is outdated etc but for just playing games it works a treat..

DarkUli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It could be things like a bad dump.
Or a bad MicroSD, try to either use Kingston's of Japan (1GB I've heard), or Sandisk MicroSD's. A-DATA works fine too.

When reformatting the MicroSD, reformat to FAT16, I think.

Above all that, it could just be a bad dump.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how much reformatting helps, and I've had freezing problems regardless of what source I got the ROMs from. I stumbled upon another solution here, and I did it at the same time as a reformat of the micro SD.

That said, I can't tell you which one helped the most, but I've gotten only 2 freezes since doing this (and before doing it some games would freeze every time I played and now they don't). Get a jeweler's screwdriver (those really small ones) and take the one screw on the R4 out. Peel the cart apart, being careful not to break off the small plastic pins. I broke two of them, and the thing still fits together fine so it's not a big deal, but just try to be careful. Now, take a small piece of cardstock-type paper, about as wide as the R4. Put it in the case at the bottom of the side where the label is, then put the chip back in and put it back together.

I hope that's a good enough description, but if you have any questions ask away. The concept is that the R4's contacts are kind of loose, and the card slot on the DS is spring loaded. Every once and a while, the contacts, which are a bit loose inside the case (not really enough for you or I to notice, but enough for it to lose contact apparently), don't make full contact and the game just freezes. So what you're doing with the cardstock is making it so that the contacts are more firmly held in their proper place.

Like I said, it worked pretty well for me, I've only experienced two freezes since then.

LoneSyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just re-insert your goddamn R4. The freezing means bad connection between cartridge and DS. I've been having the problem until i replaced my first generation NDSL (The DS Lite on launch day) with a brand new spanking red-black one. I never had the problem agian.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PerfectB said:
So what you're doing with the cardstock is making it so that the contacts are more firmly held in their proper place.

Congratulations, you've just independently discovered something that's been discussed here on and off for quite a while. It'll probably void the warranty on the R4, but IMO and IME it makes the things much more reliable. Whenever a friend gets an R4 and asks me for assistance with it, I fit a shim like that as a matter of course - better safe than sorry, I've seen it happen on lots of carts without shims but never on ones with them. I've even seen an original DS that wouldn't recognise an R4 AT ALL until the shim was fitted, and hasn't had a single problem with it since. I usually use the cardstock from the inserts in the Kingston TF packs.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have a 2gig kingston (J). When i format a card, do i choose FAT or FAT32? Thanks!!

my games are starting to freeze up :/

errr.. from what i read... FAT is best/fastest?

pokemongalaxy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thanihonjinballa said:
i have a 2gig kingston (J). When i format a card, do i choose FAT or FAT32? Thanks!!

my games are starting to freeze up :/

errr.. from what i read... FAT is best/fastest?
for 2gb cards you need FAT32. 1gb under are FAT.
Hope that helps
grog.gif

Velosety

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hello, I have an problem With my R4 Gold Pro 2021 card.
Firmware is working fine but when i start a game it just freezes it creates a save file but it just freazes.
Ive tried many game from different websites, I tried different Sd Card sizes and brands I have the same problem.
Ive tried different firmware but it didnt fix It.
Do you know what my problem could be?

june072894

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello, I have an problem With my R4 Gold Pro 2021 card.
Firmware is working fine but when i start a game it just freezes it creates a save file but it just freazes.
Ive tried many game from different websites, I tried different Sd Card sizes and brands I have the same problem.
Ive tried different firmware but it didnt fix It.
Do you know what my problem could be?
I have tried cleaning the pins of the DS and my old R4 and everything works well. Hope this works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over