OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
gfwlive.jpg

Microsoft has announced that on December 15th, Games on Demand comes to Games for Windows Live, which is a very fancy way of saying it's going to start digitally distributing PC games.

It's really the next natural step in Games for Windows Live development. The Xbox 360 Games on Demand program has been doing well enough, and services like Stardock's Impulse and Steam have already proven the viability of the digital download store model, so now we're getting Games on Demand for Games for Windows Live.

"With Games on Demand, we didn't just want to create a cut-and-paste version of existing digital distribution services," said Mike Ybarra, general manager of LIVE Engagement Services. "We challenged ourselves to deliver an integrated platform that takes full advantage of the unique capabilities offered by the LIVE service. Our goal has always been to create a seamless online gaming experience for the Windows community, and Games on Demand is a great step toward that end."

From the initial announcement, the main difference between Games on Demand and something like Steam is the use of Microsoft points to purchase games along with actual cash money, but it's certainly a start. If they can keep prices competitive, they could be on to something.

Speaking of starts, the service's launch lineup will include Resident Evil 5, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and Battlestations: Pacific, along with Live-enabled versions of popular downloadable titles like World of Goo and Osmos. If those aren't enticing enough, there's also a free Live-enabled version of Tinker, the Windows Vista Ultimate Extra exclusive for those willing to download the Games for Windows Live client when the service goes live on the 15th.

You can download the Games for Windows Live client at Microsoft's official website.
Source.
Microsoft's Official Games for Windows site.

Placeholder

Trophies
XP
Country
I won't be using it as I already have lots in Steam. Seems silly changing to use this instead of Steam where my other games are at.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
are people going to have to pay for access then pay for the games?

You can buy and download the games as long as you have a Gold account ($50/year?), but in order to play the games you've bought and downloaded using the service, you need to pay for a platinum account ($80/year).

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They up against competition this time so they'll need to offer the best service and cheapest games. Maybe get some demos that the likes of Steam wont get as well as some great DLC.

All in all I think this is where us consumers win in the end.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Guild McCommunist said:
...So it's Microsoft's version of Steam? Or am I making terrible comparisons?
Yes, pretty much. Except I kinda have a hard time seeing any real competition from M$ in this market.

ninchya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sense fail lol
Its gonna be like the onlive project (if anyone has heard of it?)
Microsoft just wants more money probaly. also this new game on demand might open more pirating opportunities? who knows HAPPY ZELDA FLOOD DAY every1

steam is still better with the steam community (IM IN GBATEMP Community YAY)

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
ninchya said:
Microsoft just wants more money probaly.

They always want money look at it this way
They refused BBC iPlayer for UK viewers because BBC wanted it to be free for all users
They charge money for people playing online on any game of theirs while Sony and Nintendo is free (unless the game says its Pay2Play)
They are charging way to much for Windows 7
Plus this.

Dark Justice

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
members.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got Xbox live and meh, it's 40 bucks a year.. I use it more for buying Arcade games onto my xbox 360 mostly.. Sometimes I play some GTA or something like that online, but thats about it.. I don't think i'd ever use this feature for windows because well my computer is out of date and couldn't even attempt to play the games that are releasing these days.. ofcourse there is a few here and there (I loved Plants vs Zombies, puzzle quest galactrix, and Professor Heinz Wolffs Gravity and my computer could play them).. Overall, it's good for most, but my computer isn't a gaming beast.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Guild McCommunist said:
...So it's Microsoft's version of Steam? Or am I making terrible comparisons?
Yes, pretty much. Except I kinda have a hard time seeing any real competition from M$ in this market.

I agree. I think if they started something awesome, like offering Halo: CE for free or a dirt cheap price off the bat, it'd be a great promotional tool. Not to mention throwing in Gears of War 1 and 2, Halo 2 and 3, Fallout 3, and other big name titles for the PC.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
deanxxczx said:
They charge money for people playing online on any game of theirs while Sony and Nintendo is free (unless the game says its Pay2Play)
exactly what idiot would pay to play the multiplayer mode on a disc you you already bought!

shito

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
luke_c said:
deanxxczx said:
are people going to have to pay for access then pay for the games?
Why would they pay for access? It's completely free, like Steam.
were talking about M$, it may happen, i guess is pointless to buy a 360 now (at least for me), almost of it is being relased for pc except exclusivities

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Bladexdsl said:
deanxxczx said:
exactly what idiot would pay to play the multiplayer mode on a disc you you already bought!
X360 users, that's what.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.